Ammo shortage question

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Ammo shortage question

Post by coconut »

When do y’all think things will get back to normal? Do you believe they can’t make enough or is something else going on?
Gmed

Re: Ammo shortage question

Post by Gmed »

I saw there were 5 million new gun owners in 2020 alone and 2021 numbers aren’t showing much of a slow down. If each gun owner bought one or two boxes of ammo to go with their new firearm, then that alone would be 5-10 million boxes of ammunition. In addition, we had the wonderful pandemic which slowed production as well as access to some raw materials, especially to make primers. I read somewhere that primers may be the hardest to come by, even through late 2021 or later. Remington was in bankruptcy and was not producing ammo as well, but are supposed to be or may already be online and manufacturing by now. Look at the YouTube videos posted by the big names like Hornady, Sierra, etc on their production lines. They say they are going full force, but people continue to buy anything and everything as it appears on shelves, whether they actually “need” it or not, just to have it “in case” it doesn’t become more readily available.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gmed it’s more like 7 million new gun owners in 2020.

2021 is looking to surpass that easily. Covid shutdowns in some areas has led to shortages of the powder for primers.

I don’t see it loosening up just yet. When hulls are readily available I’ll be happy
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

While I do believe that Covid and supply shortages and new gun owners were part of the issue, I believe one of the biggest parts was the panic that gun owners had and went out and bought up every little bit of ammo they could possibly get. I think that still is happening today. You talk to some people and they still have the attitude of “if it’s on the shelf I better buy it because I won’t be there tomorrow.” If we ALL just took a breath and relax for one month everything would be so much better. I already see a significant uptick in ammo at my local Cabela’s store And at other retailers.

I took a CPL class this summer and the instructor Constantly floated conspiracy theories about people buying ammo and burying it in their yard and the extreme left buying ammo just so others couldn’t get it. I had a pit in my stomach because I realize that this is probably the problem out there right now. He bragged on how he was sitting on about 10,000 rounds of 9 mm ammo and he continues to buy it every time he sees it.

I firmly believe if we all just relaxed everything would come back, maybe not where it was, but to a point where we all feel comfortable with the availability.

With that said that will never happen. People are crazy and panic about the craziest things….me included.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

I was in our local Wal-Mart this morning and saw they had one box of Winchester 308. Only ammo in the case. I don't have a 308 but almost bought it anyway. Crazy times.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”