Fall Hunting

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
dsunday

Fall Hunting

Post by dsunday »

Ok, so now that there's nothing left to do this summer but fish and grill, let's talk fall hunting.

Who enjoys it?

What are your favorite tactics and tips?

I have a dream to put a fall bird on the table for Thanksgiving but I have failed/gotten too busy/focused on deer the past few years.

Does anyone have tips on specifically targeting a gobbler?

Thanks
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
paboxcall

Re: Fall Hunting

Post by paboxcall »

Fall turkey hunting has a long running tradition in Pennsylvania, particularly in the "big woods" of north central PA. I enjoy chasing fall flocks as much as spring.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

I’m with paboxcall. A good fall hunt can be just as exciting as spring. One nice thing is that you don’t have to get up 2 hours before sunrise! Breaking up flocks and calling them back together is alot of fun!
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I enjoy going after fall gobblers. I don't break up the flock all the times to call them in. Learn a gobbler yelp on your call.
crow

Post by crow »

Get proficient with all gobbler/Jake vocals,
get good at young turkey Kee's and lost yelps

Get the Denny Gulvas Fall turkey hunting DVD, lots of really good info and footage on there to learn from.

Get a really good pair of walking boots
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

Birds will roost in the same spots year after year for the most part. Set up where your scouting showed they roosted and call in your longbeard. I also set up at midday and blind call.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

jdjnicholson wrote: June 15th, 2021, 1:24 pm Birds will roost in the same spots year after year for the most part. Set up where your scouting showed they roosted and call in your longbeard. I also set up at midday and blind call.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I wish we had more timber here in northern Indiana. You can sit and blind call. But usually it’s 10-20 acre spots
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Fighting Purrs on a loud double slate is the order of the day for Fall Gobblers.
I hit loud Fighting Purrs on the rim of the pot- then go right to the middle to sound like 2 Gobblers going at it.
Kee- Kee- Runs for Jake's with just 1 Yelp after the 3 Whistles to sound like a Jake rather then a Jennie.
I am giving Hens a Pass this Fall because of lower Turkey Populations

Return to “Gobbler Talk”