March hunting in next few years

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jhogue

March hunting in next few years

Post by jhogue »

Sounds like Georgia and Alabama have already made plans to push season openers back. I’m betting Florida and Mississippi are going to get pounded in first few weeks of March even more than most years. Arkansas moved our season back a week this year. Sounds like Oklahoma is pushing their season back at least one week if not two. A whole lot of states will have openers right on top of each other it seems. Will make it interesting planning March and April for folks that travel multiple states those months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: March hunting in next few years

Post by Hoobilly »

I read Indiana will be pushed back. Since the last 6 years it’s been colder and wetter than usual it’s about time and probably a lil late.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Sounds good, keep the pressure spread out with season running similar dates maybe? Hopefully help the birds breed unmolested!
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Maybe it will spread pressure out once all other seasons open, but in Mid March when only options are Florida, Mississippi, and I guess Texas, I think those states will get crushed for a few weeks. Will make their openers a little less fun and harder to get away from folks.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

Are the changes motivated by the alleged decline in wild turkey populations?

I believe the perception of population decline is, in part, not hearing gobbling at the frequency we used to in years past. I wonder if this is due to turkeys reacting to predatory pressures they receive when vocal. Predators being hunters, feral pets, coyotes and bobcats that key on gobbling/vocalizations.

Researchers of Whitetail deer populations have said visible breeding activity will be suppressed if the buck to doe ratio is not ideal. Is it possible that tom to hen ratios being ideal would increase gobbling activity?

Recently, I watched an episode of THP and they were speaking with researchers in AL that are starting to utilize a system that remotely monitors gobbling frequency to determine population numbers. Problem with that, if the area has a population of "quiet" birds, the data will be skewed.

If it would make the hunt more like days of the past, I would welcome a shorter season and more restricted seasons. Here in WV, we cannot hunt past 1pm, I'm not sure that regulation helps population numbers? I believe the rationale is if hunters are not afield in the afternoon, the hens will not be frightened off a nest and abandon it.

There are a bunch of variables for our game managers to consider when making regulations to manage our resource, but I wish it was based more on hard fact than conjecture.

Sorry so long, just thinking out loud.
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

What sucks is the public land regulations taking away so much opportunity from the folks who rely on public land to hunt. And we can 100% thank the YouTubers and social media for sending the masses to public land over the past few seasons. Go search YouTube for "Alabama Turkey Hunt" and the number of results and views is ridiculous. On the bright side, those same YouTubers just lost a lot of opportunity to continue profiting and gaining fame at the expense of public lands.

If the state game and fish agencies really want to help public lands, ban filming!

It also irks me that Bama throws a 1PM cut off for public lands, but not statewide. If the 1PM cutoff helps so much, MAKE IT STATEWIDE!
Sulaelk

Post by Sulaelk »

I agree that YouTube and social media are a big reason for so many hunters but I don’t guess there’s anything we can do about it. I don’t see why Alabama is still going to let you kill four birds if they’re concerned with the population trend. They should allow two in the spring and if they want to have a fall season allow one in the fall. I don’t hunt Alabama but I hunt Georgia. I’m anxious to see what changes they’re doing to make.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I’d rather just see long seasons and archery only

I hate losing the opportunity to go hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
coconut

Post by coconut »

They are being over harvested. I knew when I saw the researchers put up those stupid gobbling listening devices there would be a group of people who suspect there is a new super silent turkey out there. Put radio collars on the gobblers and put leg bands on the gobblers it won’t take long to discover the problem.
The nwtf thinks that we can just improve the habitat and overcome the problem. It’s like saying the USA can just increase manufacturing and pay off the debt. Ain’t happening
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

I couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one ... I'm 52 years old have been hunting turkrys since I was 13 . been pretty successful 2 Royal slams in addition to 10 Grand slams . Have done the Grand single season 2 times and 3 /4 of the slam bunches of years . Qulaifications only .
I travel from mid GA to North Fla daily in my work and talk with good turkey hunters regularly Thruout Febuary to May . Not only am I NOT seeing turkeys in the numbers I used to ( 22 years on this route ) but they are not expanding to new suitable areas as ive WATCHED them do during this time .

Believe me they are not there to gobble .

I have private land that for 30 years hasn't had a turkey on it from June to Febuary . ive killed turkeys on it continuously for 28 springs . This year I had 4 gobs on it and killed 2 late in the season . May have shot some of the last that will ever be there .... Remains to be seen.
But 10 years ago come Febuary there would be 70 turkeys on that place . Hell it was horrible looking clear cut then . It's some of the crapiest looking turkey land I hunt to this day . But this year was the lowest turkey numbers ive ever had 12 turkeys including the 4 gobs .
New habitat that turkeys just crossed into 8 years ago are now almost devoid of them now . and the habitat hasn't changed , still as it was 8 yrs ago to slightly better . They are gone !
No I'm not a biologist but I assure I spend as much time as one watching and working for turkeys as anyone does . I'm not 45 days I'm 365 in !
Something has to be done , is it to late ? Time will tell .

Have I lived thru the goog old days , lord I hope not , but its going to need some drastic changes !!
10th Legion legionare !
coconut

Post by coconut »

My experience is similar. Yes the good ol days are gone. This is going to go down as the worst example of over harvest since they were almost hunted to extinction the first time.
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

If everyone seems to agree, what is the best place to start in making changes? NWTF? State Fish & Game?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

I don’t think it’s a habitat issue the states just need to adjust the seasons and limits to the increased hunting pressure. You can’t have the same seasons today as you had 20 years ago and expect things to stay the same. More people equals more turkeys being killed so you have to adjust the seasons and bag limits accordingly. I think most states are going in the right direction so far.
coconut

Post by coconut »

dsunday wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:37 am If everyone seems to agree, what is the best place to start in making changes? NWTF? State Fish & Game?

The nwtf has become a money making venture. They have gotten way to cosy with the states. It wouldn’t surprise me if the states have to clear things with the nwtf before they do something or risk losing funding.
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

sasquatch wrote:I’d rather just see long seasons and archery only

I hate losing the opportunity to go hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You sound like me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

dsunday wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:37 am If everyone seems to agree, what is the best place to start in making changes? NWTF? State Fish & Game?
Definitely state

But it would be nice if the nwtf would help in these cases
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”