I'm not looking for help or advice

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

I'm not looking for help or advice

Post by 935 »

Just a shoulder to cry on. On opening day I had a quick, easy and successful hunt. Since that day I've stayed when I should have moved, moved when I should have stayed and bumped birds off the roost. The weather has been cold and windy on days when I could hunt. Being stupid I left private land with lots of turkeys and hunted public land that had very few turkeys, for 3 days. Saturday was the last day and I'm almost glad. Could have been worse, I guess.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Fullfan

Re: I'm not looking for help or advice

Post by Fullfan »

Right there with ya. Hunted everyday last week, heard one bird gobble twice from the tree and he was 800 yds away. Have not been able to raise or hear a gobble all week. Cold damp wet and snow here in NW Pa.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

I had the same thing happen, but I am proof that things turn around.

I hunted the first two weekends in Tennessee. Everything I did was WRONG! It felt like everyone was killing birds but me. After a 4 day weekend and a 3 day weekend, I was really down.
Fast forward to now. I have seen 7 birds go down between then and now (3 in Wyoming, 1 in SD and 3 in Mi). It seems like since that trip, every decision has been the CORRECT one.

Keep your head up, keep putting miles on the boots, keep your box call chalked-up and your owl hooter handy. Things can and WILL turn around when you least expect it!

My dad has hunted since 1977, he always said, "the right bird at the right time". One of these mornings, you are gonna be within 200 yds of one on the roost, all his hens will be sitting on the nest and he is gonna come on a string....and its gonna be magic.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Remember how I was saying EVERYTHING was going right? Well, I missed a gobbler this morning.
The ups and the downs.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

MFL205 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:41 pm I had the same thing happen, but I am proof that things turn around.

I hunted the first two weekends in Tennessee. Everything I did was WRONG! It felt like everyone was killing birds but me. After a 4 day weekend and a 3 day weekend, I was really down.
Fast forward to now. I have seen 7 birds go down between then and now (3 in Wyoming, 1 in SD and 3 in Mi). It seems like since that trip, every decision has been the CORRECT one.

Keep your head up, keep putting miles on the boots, keep your box call chalked-up and your owl hooter handy. Things can and WILL turn around when you least expect it!

My dad has hunted since 1977, he always said, "the right bird at the right time". One of these mornings, you are gonna be within 200 yds of one on the roost, all his hens will be sitting on the nest and he is gonna come on a string....and its gonna be magic.
U must be huntin' with 2 buddy's if you saw 3 go down in MI :LMAO: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

All three of my kids have shot birds in Mi....I am still at it until the end of the month!

Yeah, Michigan allows you only 1 bird, I think more states should do that, but that is a whole different topic! Lol

Return to “Gobbler Talk”