Heading West? Be aware

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
joey46

Re: Heading West? Be aware

Post by joey46 »

As tempting as a 99 Civic sounds I'll pass but thanks anyway. My early FL days I ran all over Big Cypress in a Geo Metro. Worked out ok. It actually had surprising good ground clearance. Appears it's now PA or wait until next year. Really a weird year.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

joey46 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 12:02 pm As tempting as a 99 Civic sounds I'll pass but thanks anyway. My early FL days I ran all over Big Cypress in a Geo Metro. Worked out ok. It actually had surprising good ground clearance. Appears it's now PA or wait until next year. Really a weird year.
If I was closer or en route, I'd try to make a real offer of help. I'd be glad to try and help you out somehow but I'm afraid Helena is just too far off from Denver and the Black Hills. If I had the time, I'd probably already be in the Hills myself.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

The old cliche "it is what it is" applies. I should have done more advanced planning or just resigned myself to a lot of driving. Oh well lessons learned.
JerseyGobbler

Post by JerseyGobbler »

The prices are crazy right now because of the used car market. There is a car shortage, not enough chips. The used car market was hot before but now it’s through the roof. Just means less cars to rent, so demand is through the roof along with prices. Hopefully it levels out some for next year.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

UPDATE - I cancelled an end of season Black Hills trip because of rental car prices. I thought maybe prices in Rapid City SD may have eased. LOL - even using the discount web sites the best "deal" at RAP this morning is $245 per day (yes that's PER DAY). Rapid City is where most Black Hills outfitters recommend their clients arrive and rent transportation. Might be a good idea to consider this before laying out an early hunting trip deposit to any of the Black Hills operations. I had planned to fly into Denver, rent a vehicle, and drive north into Wyoming for a solo non-outfitted hunt. Today's best deal at DEN is $99.00 per day. Way too expensive for me. I hope for a future western trip but will never pay these prices. Future trips will be of long duration and by private vehicle only. Good luck.
Lacire

Post by Lacire »

We just rented a 7 passenger dodge caravan for 6 days out of Phoenix for $825.00 for a Gould hunt.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Regarding computer chips, I have heard that Ford has over 125,000 F150's sitting in their build lots waiting for computer chips....these are crazy times.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

We rented a Jeep Cherokee Compass here in SC to drive to Kansas. We picked it up on a Wednesday morning and dropped it back off the next Wednesday at 5 pm. Total was 400 and some change, was very pleased with the pricing then and more so now.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

MFL205 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:46 am Regarding computer chips, I have heard that Ford has over 125,000 F150's sitting in their build lots waiting for computer chips....these are crazy times.
Yup the microchips all went to the vaccines, their covering it with folks bought new electronics due to lockdown, but it's the vaccine..

As the number of vaccines given daily dwi dles the number of new vehicles on the lots will increase.. The correlation cannot be denied
joey46

Post by joey46 »

I won't bump this up again but thought that now that turkey season is over in the Black Hills I'd see if rental car prices had dropped. As of 10 minutes ago Rapid City SD (always shows as the preferred airport) is still around $800 for the week of 6/20. Denver around $700. These are what is called "Supplier's Choice" vehicles so you get what's available. Price does not include the damage waiver that I would want if driving on gravel etc. Just for fun put in Bozeman MT since I can fly direct from Tampa on SWA and found the worst of all - $1371 for the week and still without adding the damage waiver. Who knows what next season will bring but my 2022 out west plans will lean towards driving out and hope gas stays under $4 a gallon. Everyone have a great off season.
fountain

Post by fountain »

Haven’t been on in a while and just now seeing this thread. It’s crazy how the rental car mess is. I can tell y’all this…don’t rent from one state and return it in a different state. Crazy expensive.
I did a road trip with my with and mom back in may and we flew into denver and got out car there and ended our trip in Billings. We also got held up in Billings because of weather and the gas pipeline shortage deal and could not get a car. We had literally just turned ours in like 30 minutes prior the cancellation. It was already promised out and no more were available.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

My best friend went flew to Denver a month ago on business he's got cows in KSso he rented a big decked out ram get around the ranch Thursday through Sunday for 7 hundred
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

MFL205 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:46 am Regarding computer chips, I have heard that Ford has over 125,000 F150's sitting in their build lots waiting for computer chips....these are crazy times.
Go on YouTube, search "ford rents out Kentucky speedway". It was pretty amazing to see all the F-150s getting trucked in.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
joey46

Post by joey46 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 13th, 2021, 2:46 pm My best friend went flew to Denver a month ago on business he's got cows in KSso he rented a big decked out ram get around the ranch Thursday through Sunday for 7 hundred
:o That's $175 a day and outrageous. I guess since I have no idea what getting cows in KS means. :D
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

joey46 wrote: June 13th, 2021, 4:52 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 13th, 2021, 2:46 pm My best friend went flew to Denver a month ago on business he's got cows in KSso he rented a big decked out ram get around the ranch Thursday through Sunday for 7 hundred
:o That's $175 a day and outrageous. I guess since I have no idea what getting cows in KS means. :D
:LMAO: :LMAO: :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

soiltester wrote: June 13th, 2021, 6:10 pm

Maybe "The Cows Came Home" :banghead:
:LMAO: :LMAO: :stir:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

He runs a big dairy, they trucked all their dry heifers to KS because it's cheaper to have them fed and boarded there than here in Michigan.. he wanted to see the place.

His farm paid, so he didn't care, he also got put up in some luxurious place in Denver, said he didn't bring nice enough clothes get in the restaurants in there. Lol
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 13th, 2021, 7:36 pm
He runs a big dairy, they trucked all their dry heifers to KS because it's cheaper to have them fed and boarded there than here in Michigan.. he wanted to see the place.

His farm paid, so he didn't care, he also got put up in some luxurious place in Denver, said he didn't bring nice enough clothes get in the restaurants in there. Lol
BIL from Michigan had a farm about 2 hrs west of here he did that with his beef cattle, and would fly/drive down to check on them every so often! :thumbup:
Sold the place his last trip down after he retired :cheers:
Dang, never did make it turkey hunting over there :banghead:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”