Emergency Communication in areas with no cell service

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jhogue

Emergency Communication in areas with no cell service

Post by jhogue »

Planning a trip out west (Currently Nebraska, which is not way out west and not as rugged as the Rockies). I’ve been told these areas are more rugged and dangerous than I am used to. Looking into potential of buying a satellite phone or some other emergency communication device if a fall or something else happened in an area with no cell service. Any ideas, experience, or thought.

In general, many places I turkey hunt have little to no cell service, so theoretically this could come in handy on many hunting adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Emergency Communication in areas with no cell service

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I think I've had cell service over a lot of the area that you plan to hunt. Nebraska just isn't that rugged. A Spot or similar that allows texting would probably be cheaper than a sat phone but I've not really looked into it.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

At one time emergency phones etc could be rented. Not sure anymore if that is true. Good luck.

Just googled "emergency satellite phones to rent". Yes they do - about $30 a week. Didn't click any further.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I think these could come in handy.
https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/produc ... ces/spot-x

I know Garmin makes them also. In addition to the up front cost for the unit, you'll pay a monthly fee for service.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

joey46 wrote:At one time emergency phones etc could be rented. Not sure anymore if that is true. Good luck.

Just googled "emergency satellite phones to rent". Yes they do - about $30 a week. Didn't click any further.
I’ll check into this. Thank you.

jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Hobbes_mobile wrote:I think I've had cell service over a lot of the area that you plan to hunt. Nebraska just isn't that rugged. A Spot or similar that allows texting would probably be cheaper than a sat phone but I've not really looked into it.
I was trying to figure out how it could be that rugged. The most elevation change I can see in most of the Pine Ridge areas I’ve looked at is around 300 feet from highest and lowest spots in a given area. That is similar to what I deal with in Arkansas and Oklahoma. The base elevation is significantly higher though by about 3000 feet.

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

The hills in Arkansas, from what I've seen around Norfork, are likely as rugged as the Pine Ridge.
cluckcluckbang

Post by cluckcluckbang »

I have a garmin in reach GPS unit, which also allows you to email, text and send out an SOS for extreme emergency situations. I’d highly recommend it, love mine
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

InReach Mini is what I permanently carry in my turkey hunting shirt and bird vest during small bird seasons. I have the subscription that allows me to stop and restart the plan without penalty. I have the basic plan under $20 per month. The Inreach bluetooths to a cell phone so the phone's keyboard can be used bypassing the Inreach's scroll type keyboard.
Saw an article last week about a hiker in the Sierras that got lost and his cell phone battery died. With a dying battery, he sent a photo to a friend of his legs and a rock slide where he sat and sent SOS saying he was lost. Sheriff's dept sent out a twitter alert if anyone could recognize the terrain. A man with a hobby of trying to determine where a Google Earth photo originated pinned the location to within a mile of where the helicopter spotted him. He had survived the night in shorts with falling temps. He might not have made it another night but for the help of the man who determined where he was.
maddog3355

Post by maddog3355 »

You can make a 911 call with a cell phone with no cell service. Emergency calls only. Look into it. https://survivalfreedom.com/do-emergenc ... ut-signal/
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

maddog3355 wrote:You can make a 911 call with a cell phone with no cell service. Emergency calls only. Look into it. https://survivalfreedom.com/do-emergenc ... ut-signal/
True, if you can connect to some network other than your service provider. But if no cell networks are available, you’re still out of luck.

Another recommendation here for the InReach. I typically only turn on the service for a few months a year. The peace of mind, for me, and especially loved ones at home, is worth every penny.
xarcher

Post by xarcher »

Another vote for inreach mini.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Crap can happen on flat ground, always good to have a plan.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun

Return to “Gobbler Talk”