What's your closest turkey kills

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What's your closest turkey kills

Post by Hoobilly »

My first turkey was a Jake and shot it at 12-15’

Furthest one was 82 yards with my Ithaca 20ga and the Indiancreek 550 and the old way heavier than lead 20ga 6’s. Scoped fogged up and missing rain. Guys I was hunting with told me it was 45-50 yards and wanted to know if I could shoot that far. Would’ve never shot if I knew for sure how far it really was.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

3 yards
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Southern Sportsman wrote: April 6th, 2021, 11:42 am
SwampDrummin wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:01 am I’m trying pretty seriously to kill one with a samurai sword.
In what state is that legal?
States with tribal authority.
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

I killed the one in the pic to the right at about 18". Yeah thats inches. Wad went right through the head. It was late in the season and I was in the middle of a field that had grass just high enough to lay in and be hidden. I had just made a call and had a gobble about two hundred yards away. Not know which way to go and figuring I would be spotted I just layed down in the grass. I got a text from a buddy that was hunting and was texting back and forth and thought I better check and see where the gobbler was knowing it would be a while before he ever got close. I had stuck the decoy up right in front of me when I layed down. Benelli laying on my right side. When I looked up to make a call I was actually looking under the belly of my decoy. I use a longer than normal stake; an ole fiberglass piece of a tent pole with a broadhead without blades to poke in the hard ground. I saw three longbeards running straight at me and my decoy and they were close. I panicked and grabbed the Benelli trying to bring it up to my shoulder; the two front birds instantly saw me moving just a couple feet away and one went left and one went right. Well the by the time the third gobbler could see for the other two splitting he was about 18" from my muzzle and right where the barrel was pointing. Keep in mind the hen decoy was right in front of my head and he was fixed on the decoy. As soon as he lined up the gun went off with me expecting to miss. Well got lucky and hit him square in the noggin. 12 gauge makes an awsome hole. Sure wish I had that on video.

God Bless, Louis
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

My first longbeard was at 7 yds . 1991 . 12 ga Federal premium #6

My last one 4/2 /2021 7 yds with a 410 with TSS #9

Killed one a couple years at less than 10 yds flying but Winchester extended range ( old hevi derivative ) #6 didn't play back in the day !
10th Legion legionare !
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

And on several ocassions ive picked up 20 and 12 Ga wads that were blood soaked. So they were not much moer than 10 yards .
10th Legion legionare !
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

My daughter’s first turkey last year was about 12 yards. She was shooting a O/U with the modified choke and 10’s, so plenty of pattern to cover any mistakes. Much closer and the margin of error would have been smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trapperman

Post by Trapperman »

Closest kill would be just under 5 yds. Closest I've had one by me was arms length in full strut and then gobbled. They don't close there eyes when they gobble either.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Five steps. Two came in side by side and I couldn't shoot until one got a step ahead of the other. When two gobble at you from 15 yards it will blow your hat off! It was my first longbeard too.
He had the lower part of his beak and nothing above that.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

About 15 feet
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I called up 5 jakes this morning, and could've beat my closest kill but, let the youngsters go.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
misfire

Post by misfire »

6yds
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I thought about trying reaping but,thinking about it was as far as I got on it.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”