Chasing Slam this spring

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jhogue

Re: Chasing Slam this spring

Post by jhogue »

quavodus wrote:Congratulations and nice looking country. Does that sign say unexploded ordnance? Wow, that would make some interesting hunting.
It does. Unexploded Ordnance is common on military posts. Stuff left over from WWI and WWII all over the country. This particular area was reopened for hunting this year for the first in several. As long as you don’t go around digging up and kicking suspicious objects, you should be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

If it's not been hunted in awhile, are there a lot of birds there? Or is it like a lot of places?
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

quavodus wrote:If it's not been hunted in awhile, are there a lot of birds there? Or is it like a lot of places?
There is no where in Arkansas with a lot of birds. I just wanted to hunts some birds that had seen less pressure for a few years. Definitely did not seem like more density that other places on the installation. I think more than anything I walked in there on the day a bird was ready to work. Some other folks had hunted that area all week without luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

The places I hunt the birds are pretty thin populated. It used to be on a good morning, you might hear 10 to 15 birds gobble. Now some mornings, nothing. I don't know. I love to hunt them but, have respect for them too, and want them to do better.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

quavodus wrote: April 27th, 2021, 8:48 pm The places I hunt the birds are pretty thin populated. It used to be on a good morning, you might hear 10 to 15 birds gobble. Now some mornings, nothing. I don't know. I love to hunt them but, have respect for them too, and want them to do better.
Holy s' hit
10-15 birds gobbling would be awesome. That would be about how many I hear a season here in OH and WV.
That said we do ok.

Edit: I fully believe you by the way. The post almost sounded like I didn't. I meant it more as a good for you type deal, not an attack or anything.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I hunted Texas County Missouri one time in about 95. I don't even have a good guess at the number of turkeys that we heard that morning. It was incredible.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Jhogue I started out for a single season slam but Florida wasn't good to me. I did get a couple of Rios in N. TX and an Eastern here in E. TX. I head to NE soon and I'm hoping the turkeys there are more vocal than those in FL.
Good luck when you go. If I gather any good spots I'll PM you.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Tail Feathers wrote: April 28th, 2021, 1:05 am Jhogue I started out for a single season slam but Florida wasn't good to me. I did get a couple of Rios in N. TX and an Eastern here in E. TX. I head to NE soon and I'm hoping the turkeys there are more vocal than those in FL.
Good luck when you go. If I gather any good spots I'll PM you.
This is the second year I’ve ventured to Florida and first time with success. Both times I have had a general plan of chasing a slim if I got the Osceola. So far have struck out on Rios, but am still going to head to Nebraska to try to get a Merriam’s. If I happen to kill a Merriam’s early in the week long trip, I might try to get a Rio in Nebraska or Kansas. At this point, I’m just planning to enjoy the rest of the season for what it is. A slam can happen later when it works out.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Well, season closed for Dad and I today. It’s been a great time. Covered lots of miles, had many varied experiences across 4 states. Started great with Osceola in March. Got my Arkansas bird in April. Got an education in Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Nebraska this week was beautiful. Saw birds every day. Had some roost gobbling every day. If I was sneakier, I had shot opportunities 4 out of 5 days, but never had a bird that gobbled and worked on the ground. It seems these birds in the Pine Ridge have really been beat up the last few weeks. Guess I will try to get out here earlier in season the next time I come west. Here are a few pics from the final chapter of this season.
Attachments
0F4B6D3C-1978-470D-9C0D-2BA304C465A6.jpeg
9F052344-DEA6-4D1A-951C-337861EF362E.jpeg
2763E859-173D-4A17-8180-E113D70545D8.jpeg
D87B691A-94CB-424E-B1F3-C64412D5D26D.jpeg
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Tough huntin' when toms are hened up and also silent, but you sure made the most of your hunt and sure sounds like you both and great times hunting and traveling together!! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Glad you got to make those memories brother, killing is secondary, enjoying that time in God's creation with your dad is primary ( I know you know that). Good for you my man. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Congrats on your season.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Tough hunting in NE for sure. You'll have a better feel for it next time. Nice Nebraska photos.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”