My thoughts..

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

My thoughts..

Post by Hoobilly »

For some of you that need reminded..

We all started somewhere

It’s ok to joke around a little and make your opinion known to the world. But to put others down for how they hunt is a pretty sad affair for turkey hunters

I don’t care if you use decoys or not
I don’t care if you use a blind or not
I don’t care if you shoot longbeard xr’s or tss or not
I don’t care if you wear a face mask or paint or not

Wear MossyOak or Realtree or not? I don’t care

Shoot a 410 or a 10ga? I don’t care

What I do care about is you yourself enjoying YOUR hunt.

So please when someone asks about decoys, figit spinners, blinds, camo or calls.. be at least courteous to a new hunter who hasn’t learned what it’s all about.

If GN had a moto I would want it to be..
ENJOY YOUR HUNT!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Gmed

Re: My thoughts..

Post by Gmed »

Agree 100%. Everybody was a first timer at some point. When I started turkey hunting, I wish there had been a place like this to garner information and real life experiences from others. All of us didn’t have a mentor to teach us turkey hunting, and everybody knows how steep the learning curves are with these crazy birds...I like to give others my opinion or help (as limited as it is), if it will save someone time or money, or help them make an educated decision on a product I might have used. As long as their methods are legal in the states they hunt and the hunt provides them the joy and relaxation it should, good for them.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Amen to that!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Bigvet

Post by Bigvet »

Excellent. Well said Brice.
HuntSource

Post by HuntSource »

Preach! I recall the origin of this forum. It's creation was largely driven by a moderator elsewhere who established the 40.1YD rule. TSS or Lead. Benelli or Remington or Stevens. Blind or set or run-n-gun. Diaphragm or slate or box. UBU, and as you said, Enjoy your hunt!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

It has been a little tense around here lately. A little chillage could go a long ways.

As long as you don't claim Western turkeys are half as smart as Eastern turkeys. I draw the line there. :)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:06 pm It has been a little tense around here lately. A little chillage could go a long ways.

As long as you don't claim Western turkeys are half as smart as Eastern turkeys. I draw the line there. :)
:LMAO:

I’ve always claimed I’m a mediocre caller. I need a half drunk gobbler who loves shabby calling and possibly tone deaf to boot
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

So your telling me on an internet turkey hunting forum, I can’t argue about turkey decoys? My God, man is nothing sacred?

What about roost shooting and reaping? We don't have to stay quiet about those do we?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
HuntSource

Post by HuntSource »

Southern Sportsman wrote: March 30th, 2021, 11:35 pm So your telling me on an internet turkey hunting forum, I can’t argue about turkey decoys? My God, man is nothing sacred?

What about roost shooting and reaping? We don't have to stay quiet about those do we?
Sacred, regarding the use of decoys, you can't be serious? You really use the term sacred?

Last year about this time, you offered this up this morsel, “You will never hear me “call out” anyone, speak bad about the way someone kills a particular bird, or do anything else to diminish a kill or belittle a person (unless they do something outright illegal).”

Yet, now, you invoke the name of God and imply that anyone who hunts over dekes isn't harvesting a bird in "sacred" way?

While also probably totally lost on you, your statement last year is rich in irony. Despite your representation that you'll never "call out" anyone unless committing an illegal act, you'll have the back of those who criticize others who hunt in a way you don't deem "traditional."

Heck, you'll even make not so veiled threats against those who dare to challenge your and your supporters perspectives, "Awfully brave pecking away at that keyboard. In real life, you’d get your ass kicked a lot acting like that."

I was raised in the mountain country in a part of TN that Jeff Foxworthy once playfully noted, "They filmed a part of Deliverance there.” Tru dat. It’s also where a part of the Trail of Tears originated. I’m Irish-Cherokee. Yeah, my blood is largely that of the outcasts of Europe who integrated with the indigenous. There’s a Cherokee burial mound on my home farm with European headstones. I’m all ears if you want to further enlighten about what defines "sacred" and "traditional" turkey hunting.

Like Brice said, live and let live, but also "Enjoy your hunt!"
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Southern Sportsman wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:21 am
HuntSource wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:41 am
Southern Sportsman wrote: March 30th, 2021, 11:35 pm So your telling me on an internet turkey hunting forum, I can’t argue about turkey decoys? My God, man is nothing sacred?
Sacred, regarding the use of decoys, you can't be serious? You really use the term sacred?
. . . .
I was raised in the mountain country in a part of TN that Jeff Foxworthy once playfully noted, "They filmed a part of Deliverance there.” Tru dat. It’s also where a part of the Trail of Tears originated. I’m Irish-Cherokee. Yeah, my blood is largely that of the outcasts of Europe who integrated with the indigenous. There’s a Cherokee burial mound on my home farm with European headstones. I’m all ears if you want to further enlighten about what defines "sacred" and "traditional" turkey hunting.
No, I'm not serious. It was an obviously tongue-in-cheek comment referring to the "sacred" tradition of arguing about decoys on the internet. Don't take everything so serious and don't make everything so personal.

HuntSource wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:41 am Last year about this time, you offered this up this morsel, “You will never hear me “call out” anyone, speak bad about the way someone kills a particular bird, or do anything else to diminish a kill or belittle a person (unless they do something outright illegal).”

Yet, now, you invoke the name of God and imply that anyone who hunts over dekes isn't harvesting a bird in "sacred" way?
I stand by what I've said. I have not and will not call out or attack an individual over how they kill a particular bird. That doesn't mean I have to swallow my tongue concerning general views about different styles of hunting, and I'm not going to apologize for my opinions. If you are offended by general debate, perhaps the internet isn't for you.

I have killed turkeys over decoys. But I don't use them anymore and I haven't used them in several years. I think it's a better sport without them. It's harder, but it's not supposed to be easy. I wish everyone would try to learn the art of traditional turkey hunting. I think it would be a better sport for all involved. And I absolutely believe that the extreme popularity of decoys--absent regulation changes to account for the resulting increase in hunter numbers and the relative ease with which new hunters now kill turkeys -- has contributed significantly to the declining turkey populations. But even with those genuine beliefs, I challenge you to find a single example on this forum of me attacking or belittling an individual for using decoys.

HuntSource wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:41 am While also probably totally lost on you, your statement last year is rich in irony. Despite your representation that you'll never "call out" anyone unless committing an illegal act, you'll have the back of those who criticize others who hunt in a way you don't deem "traditional."
Your damn right I have Gil's back in the train wreck you caused in the decoy thread. That is not a thread I would have ever posed in normally. But Gil made a comment about decoys. A fairly innocuous comment. He's an old-school traditional turkey hunter. He doesn't like decoys. This is a turkey hunting forum. I'm sorry that people get their feelings hurt if someone dares question the way they do things. The thread still didn't interest me enough to comment. But they you went off the reservation.

A lifelong friend of Gil's recently died. He mentioned it in a totally unrelated thread about old friends and old calls. I don't know Gil outside this forum, and I definitely didn't know his friend; however, a little human sympathy seems appropriate. But instead, you openly accused Gil of "shamelessly using his friend's passing to troll for more attention in a different post." THAT is when I felt compelled to comment. What the hell is wrong with you? Accusing someone who just lost a friend of using that friend's death to "troll for attention," because your feelings are hurt over turkey decoys is the lowest thing I have ever seen on a hunting forum. Those types of vile, intentionally hurtful comments are why I don't do facebook. If you can't see that, and don't realize that you need to apologize, then you should really reassess more than your views on turkey hunting methods.
HuntSource wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:41 am Heck, you'll even make not so veiled threats against those who dare to challenge your and your supporters perspectives, "Awfully brave pecking away at that keyboard. In real life, you’d get your ass kicked a lot acting like that."
That wasn't a threat, veiled or otherwise. Just a factual observation. If we were all sitting in a bar, debating the finer points of turkey hunting in person, there is absolutely no way you would ever say to someone's face that they were using the recent death of a friend to "troll for attention." You wouldn't say it because it's not something a remotely decent person says to another person. And if you were in person and you said something that terrible and offensive to a man still grieving the loss of his friend, the appropriate in-person consequence of getting your ass kicked would surely follow. But behind a keyboard, you are brave and apparently freed from the confines of basic human decency.
He cannot help himself but to read too much into things. Then go on long rants that you wonder how he got there.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Amen Brice, in the words of Toxey Haas "Mother Nature only gave us so many Sunrises !!!
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Yup .. I enjoy every one of my hunts, cause' I hunt the way I want to, or the way somebody makes me when I have to :shock: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

As long as it's legal, I couldn't possibly care any less how anyone else hunts. That is, of
course, with the exception of that Ronnie guy & Billie. I do the exact opposite of what
those rank amateurs say!!!!
Raspberry-1.jpg
Now, before anyone gets their knickers in a wad, both the named guys know I'm just
busting their chops. We is good buddies & talk a little smack all the time, especially
Ronaldo!!!!
ROTFL.gif
ROTFL.gif (47.53 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
The voices made me post this!!!!
Voices in my head.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Excellent post Brice. To bad it turned into another slug fest. Good grief.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Gee and here I was intending to take solace in that I'm 74 and would be given a forum pass to carry "Funky" via the "elderly and infirm" decoy exemption. I've chased these big birds since the late 1970s when Ohio issued only 2500 first week permits on a first come first served basis. What a circus that was. I probably have one of my first decoys from the 1980s somewhere. Even running and gunning I'll usually have one decoy in the vest. When I have time it will be set as a distance marker if nothing else. Fun forum - usually :roll:
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

One of the few goods things about living to be 76. is doing what you want, when you want, and not caring what anyone else says or thinks. Hunt how you want to and enjoy life its to short.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Well said, Bob...
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I avoid getting my knickers in a wad by not wearing any. That’s how I roll, or in this case swing. Now there’s a visual for y’all to dwell on. That should make you forget about decoys and such. But it might make you go blind.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Meleagris gallopavo

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

Be legal, have fun, and be respectful of other hunters and landowners.
crow

Post by crow »

guesswho wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:16 am I avoid getting my knickers in a wad by not wearing any. That’s how I roll, or in this case swing. Now there’s a visual for y’all to dwell on. That should make you forget about decoys and such. But it might make you go blind.

Actually the first thing I thought was if you ever use it as a decoy,

sort of like one of those reef fish that dangle that extra fin out there like a funky worm decoy. :lol:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I used to get into some real arguments with the so called turkey hunting purists mostly just to get under their skin but it never changes and is just like arguing with an anti just a waste of time and got old . I now just read these posts laugh or curse under my breath and move on ! :angel4:

And this forum was started by the banned from the OG site and there was a no banning rule here so if you joined you nbetter have had a thick shin so carry on :thumbup:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The tension always builds as some wait for their season to open. Some of y'all really need to kill a turkey. And some of y'all need a boiler room because you just like to argue. I like to engage in that a little sometimes myself.

Also, dekes are ghey. I warn new hunters away from the use of dolls because they will ultimately be more successful and get more enjoyment without them. I get the weirdest looks from new hunters when I tell them hard earned secrets because it isn't anything like they have seen on tv. Then become suspicious of foul play when I've tagged out while they struggle. Probably wasting my time.
Roy

Post by Roy »

So childish lol
This is the exact reason I got booted off OG. I made fun of bird for hunting in fields with blinds and decoys lol
You guys know the turkey hunting game has changed a lot. And it is not for the good. Its just not. IMO
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

howl wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:00 am Also, dekes are ghey. I warn new hunters away from the use of dolls because they will ultimately be more successful and get more enjoyment without them. I get the weirdest looks from new hunters when I tell them hard earned secrets because it isn't anything like they have seen on tv. Then become suspicious of foul play when I've tagged out while they struggle. Probably wasting my time.
You can’t say the g-word anymore, howl. Especially not in the same sentence as “decoy.” Now someone will be twice as offended.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:16 am I avoid getting my knickers in a wad by not wearing any. That’s how I roll, or in this case swing. Now there’s a visual for y’all to dwell on. That should make you forget about decoys and such. But it might make you go blind.
Ronaldo's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXhsqsh1uX0
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”