Remote Cell Cams

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Remote Cell Cams

Post by redarrow »

Recently purchased 2 Spy Point cams. Cam1 hasn't taken any pics yet,except a test pic when I walked in front of it. Cam 2 is taking lots of pics. Pics of an empty field (ghost pics) Probably close to 100 pics in a week or so. I tried a different location to see if maybe it was picking up weed movement. No difference. Spy Points tells me it will pic up shadows . I can't control the movement of the sun. Cam 1 faces the east. Cam 2 faces the west. Cam 1 is not taking "shadow" pics.Both are firmly mounted with no movement. Both on field edges with no grass or branches in the way. I tried setting on med. and low sensitivity. Just changed to high to see what happens. Anyone else having problems with Spy point cams ? Thoughts and opinions on Tactacam Reveal ?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
randywallace

Re: Remote Cell Cams

Post by randywallace »

Every game camera instruction manual you can find will tell you NOT to point them east and west.

A group of us at camp have tried multiple cellular cameras. Spypoint, Muddy, Tacticam Reveal, and Cuddeback. The best bang for the buck is the Tacticam Reveal. It really isn't even close.

The spypoint cams were/are a royal pain. I still have 1 that goes out of contract in October. They work for a while, then quit. You end up on chatbox texting someone that doesn't understand much english. Customer service will have you updating the firmware frequently and blame the lack of an update on why your camera doesn't work. Eventually they take you through the RMA process to send them back. You will get a new one in the mail and the work a while/fail process will repeat itself. I honestly do not know how they have stayed in business. Even when working, it was apparent the verizon models of Spypoint EVO could not acquire cell signal in places where the Reveals had absolutely no problem.

As for problems with the reveals - they are a very new product and are working out a handful of bugs. Out of our almost 20 units, 2 have had to go back to Tacticam because they died after the batteries ran out. In looking on their forums, it appears that was some sort of problem that afflicted a small number of the cameras. Thankfully, the owners and customer service for the Reveals are US based and VERY responsive via email and their facebook group pages. The Reveals have a much better battery life than Spypoint - particularly when you have instant picture transfer. Regardless of camera type, I made 12v external rechargeable battery packs for all of our cameras. Much cheaper in the long run.
Sud

Post by Sud »

Never used a spy point cam. Recently had to purchase a camera and watched “Trail Cam Pros “ on YouTube and read about cameras on their website. The ranked the Browning Pro Scout as #1 in 2021 and I went with it. I have it out for a month with no issues. Better than my stealth cam
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

I had 2 Spypoints season before last and had many problems. Last deer season I used 2 Reveals and a Spartan. The Reveals did well for $100 cams. Pictures were much better than the Spartan, but trigger speed is slow. If the Spartan had the same picture quality I would just buy more of those because they seem like they are much higher quality. I'm happy with the Reveals for the price I paid though.
tracker8320

Post by tracker8320 »

Stay tuned, Tactacam soon releasing a new camera model. I sell trail cams in retail and can tell you I hear more complaints about Spypoint, hardly any, if all, with Tactacam. I also own two Spy points (not cellular) with no issues. We couldn't keep Reveals in stock always sold out. That right there tells you a lot. I tried a Reveal this last season and love the cost and decent pictures...will be buying the new model when it comes out.
Wounded big game tracker with dogs...
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

randywallace wrote: March 29th, 2021, 12:31 pm Every game camera instruction manual you can find will tell you NOT to point them east and west.

A group of us at camp have tried multiple cellular cameras. Spypoint, Muddy, Tacticam Reveal, and Cuddeback. The best bang for the buck is the Tacticam Reveal. It really isn't even close.

The spypoint cams were/are a royal pain. I still have 1 that goes out of contract in October. They work for a while, then quit. You end up on chatbox texting someone that doesn't understand much english. Customer service will have you updating the firmware frequently and blame the lack of an update on why your camera doesn't work. Eventually they take you through the RMA process to send them back. You will get a new one in the mail and the work a while/fail process will repeat itself. I honestly do not know how they have stayed in business. Even when working, it was apparent the verizon models of Spypoint EVO could not acquire cell signal in places where the Reveals had absolutely no problem.

As for problems with the reveals - they are a very new product and are working out a handful of bugs. Out of our almost 20 units, 2 have had to go back to Tacticam because they died after the batteries ran out. In looking on their forums, it appears that was some sort of problem that afflicted a small number of the cameras. Thankfully, the owners and customer service for the Reveals are US based and VERY responsive via email and their facebook group pages. The Reveals have a much better battery life than Spypoint - particularly when you have instant picture transfer. Regardless of camera type, I made 12v external rechargeable battery packs for all of our cameras. Much cheaper in the long run.
I did not see anything in the manual (If you can call it that) inre to not placing east or west. The cam that is giving me problems started out facing north and was doing the same thing. Seriously considering returning them to Cabelas and trying the Tactacams.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I would send them back. I’ve heard and read a lot of negative on their cell cams.

I have the Cuddebacks. What I like about them Is one cell plan for up to 24 cameras. Up to 23 cameras will piggy back off of each other and send their pictures to the home camera, which then sends them to my phone. I have four and so far I don’t have any complaints.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

I have a few SPYPOINT camera. Always have some sort of issue. My brother has a few moultire and they work much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Randy is spot on! Tactacam Reveal is a fine camera. DO NOT waste your money on a Spypoint Cell-Link. Not sure about their other cameras but I would not recommend that one to anyone.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
TheLionsFan

Post by TheLionsFan »

I've used several brands, and as stated above, TactaCam is where its at. By far the best I've used. Dont waste your money on Spypoint. You'll regret it
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Always place a trail camera facing north or south for best results, regardless of brand. I read this on a forum and started practicing it and it works.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have 2 of the SpyPoint Link Micro cameras. I have had issues in the past and it was due to a firmware update. I have had a couple issues here and there, but nothing major. Customer service has been good to me, but I usually use the chat portion of that. My step-son has one and he is pleased. I have the Verizon models. I think it boils down to a hit or miss with these things.

Good luck,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”