Double Swamp Osceolas 2021

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Swampstalk

Double Swamp Osceolas 2021

Post by Swampstalk »

We had a quota permit for a S. FL WMA and hunted it on opening weekend starting on March 6th. Heard several birds near our set up on the first morning but nothing came in. Late morning a young tom come in from extreme left but not shot on him and he left not seeing the decoy hen. Next morning we had moved to another beautiful oak head set up. No gobbling, then mid-morning a lone gobbler walked by the clearing out at 80 yards, worked his way around under an large oak looking for the "hen" talking to him but he hung up at 60 yards and worked his way back out. No dice.

This past Sunday, March 14th, we decide to try our luck in an area we have hunted in Big Cypress National Preserve (not to worry, not giving away secrets it's 700,000 acres. Have to have a permit for ORV trail access, which we did. It was a really fun and awesome hunt. Left the house at 3:30AM, new time, and drive to put in area with the buggy trailered. Made it to the area we were going to hunt prior to first light. Dead still and 58 degrees and a gazillion stars out. At the buggy just sat and listened for a bit. In a few we hear a faint gobble off to the South maybe a mile. That bird probably gobbled 30 times and an owl was speaking up as well (or a hunting tempting the tom). After it just began turning a little lighter the tom went silent. So we gave up trying to gain ground that bird, especially if the "owl" didn't have feathers (we never hear a shot at that way).

Decided to move in to the original area were we had seen plenty of tracks and numerous birds on some trail cameras we had put out earlier in the years. We listened as we moved into the area but had not heard a single gobble. Just a sunup we set up in open pines under a small sable palm, with a cypress dome about 60 yards out front. Several lines of view out 50-60 yards around, some shorter.

Not much happening through the morning. As I had turning to the extreme right and then back I see two red and white heads 15 yards moving toward our hen deke out front 20 yards. I nudge my son on the left but both have guns in our laps. As the toms focused on the deke they passed behind a couple saw palmetto palms giving us a chance to get on them. They got to the deke and began strutting around back and forth behind a clump. My son wanted me to take a bird first but the only shot was on his side so I told to take the shot and I'll have my gun on the clump to take the other bird when it reacted to the shot, thinking he would run out my side. My son drops the first gobbler dead as a hammer at 26 yards, and the other tom takes flight and I drop him 15 feet in the air at 32 yards! That bird fell like a bag of rocks dead. Biggest bird I ever shot out of the sky! This whole event happened in under five minutes. Holy Mackerel, we celebrated, as we had never had a double together! And never a peep out these birds creeping in silent.

These birds were not big boss toms, but true South Florida swamp Osceloas. In fact, this year the water was high so far the "dry season" with most of the area we were in still soft and muddy. Big Cypress country old timers feel that birds tend to be a bit smaller than the ones further north around the Lake O, and central Florida areas that has a little more favorable diet. Our birds were approximately 15 pounds each, with 3/4" spurs and 6-7" beard on one and an 1 1/2" stub that seemed to have beard rot or sometime. The birds seemed to be in the same age class of maybe 2 1/2".

Lord, at 72, I truly love spending time in the Cypress Cathedral seeking these beautiful birds! I'll keep doing this until I can't get out of bed I guess.
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
Don
batsonbe

Re: Double Swamp Osceolas 2021

Post by batsonbe »

Congratulations. Hope to make it down there one day soon
ltprodtorreyh

Post by ltprodtorreyh »

Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

That is most awesome!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congratulations on the great hunt!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Congratulations! Like hearing about public land success down there. I’ll be down next week a little further north. Hoping to find some birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Thanks guys, it was a hoot! My son and we’re jabbering like I don’t know like what! Luck to all!
Don
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

That's awesome 👍👍👍. Congrats on the swamp birds.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Sometimes it can't get any better and that's as good as it can git' :thumbup: :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Congrats and thanks for the story !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Awesome!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Thanks fellas! Good luck to any of you down in the Sunshine State!

One thing we have experienced withers birds over the years, about half the time our birds were stealthy and came in silent as a tomb, while others would strut and gobble all the way in. As we have done this time, stay the course and a little dose of calling about 15 minutes apart seems to work.

We’ve seen too many hunters pull out by 9 and either head to breakfast or start running the roads hoping to spot birds. We like to sit tight and see what happens, knowing there are birds in the area.

I’m still pumped on this one!/
Don

Post by 935 »

Great story and hunt, thanks for sharing.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

SWEET!!!
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Congrats!! Big Cypress a place everyone should see at least once.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”