Recommendations on rain gear?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Sohawyer

Recommendations on rain gear?

Post by Sohawyer »

Anyone have any recommendations on rain gear?
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Recommendations on rain gear?

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

The cab of a Toyota Tundra or Tacoma works pretty good. :)
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on March 6th, 2021, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Cabelas space rain, no brush busting but it is really light and packs easy.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Tried Bass Pro packable rain suit. Jacket ok but pants a pain. Used Frog Toggs poncho a few times in tree stands. Works better to cover pack, gun and oneself. Not easy busting brush or vines, etc.

Heavier rain gear may be more brush tolerant but not easy to carry. Better for colder climates. South Florida not so much. Would be just as wet from sweat.
Don

Post by 935 »

I've had a Bass Pro packable suit for years now. It's been packed more than worn but when worn it worked OK.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I wasn't exactly helpful with my truck cab comment but that's typically where I find myself in the rain. It's not that often that I have to deal with rain in Montana as compared to when I was in the Midwest. I typically carry a lightweight rain jacket that I've had for a while but rarely use. Rain here in hunting season will often be snow at the elevations that I hunt.

I have looked at and tried on the Cabela's Space Rain jacket and pants. If I buy anything new it will likely be that. If I was going to Alaska or some other out of state hunt that there was no doubt I'd be hunting in the rain, I'd likely be looking at some higher dollar stuff from someone like Sitka.

When I've hunted turkeys very much in the rain, years ago in the Midwest, I normally just got wet if it wasn't too cold. In most cases I'd sweat so bad in rain gear that it didn't make a lot of difference.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

No matter what you buy, get a size or two bigger than you normally would Then you can wear it over your vest and keep your calls dry!
tracker8320

Post by tracker8320 »

I wore the Cabelas Space Rain suit on two moose hunts in New Foundland through miles of the "tuck weed" fields with no issues. All I say if it makes it through that, it's a good product...'
Wounded big game tracker with dogs...
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Gen III military issue Extreme Cold/Wet Weather, Multicam new lightweight model,tops and bottoms @ $99 ea. Hood rolls up in the collar, very heavy duty and a little bulky./, but it works. I bought a 2XL which fits over my vest. I have owned a bunch of rain suits/ gore-tex, waxed cotton, nylon silicon treated, and have yet to find anything which doesn't make you sweat and wetter under the suit during strenuous activity. The worse thing which you can do is buy a rain suit which is too tight and not loose fitting. I've bought a bunch of "new/surplus" from Fort Bragg Surplus, in NC, good people to deal with, but currently out of stock.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”