Black Hills - Wyoming & SD

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
MFL205

Black Hills - Wyoming & SD

Post by MFL205 »

Travel/hunt question for everyone. My son and I are looking to go to the Black Hills area (Wy & SD) the last week in April this year. We have never hunted that far west and are wondering about the weather and if that week would be a good time to go (gobbling/mating/hunting time). It lines up with his schooling well.

Thoughts? Thank you very much!!!!!!!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Black Hills - Wyoming & SD

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

If it lines up with school, then go and deal with whatever comes your way. The Black Hills, and anywhere west of there, can have snow in turkey season. The earlier that you go, the more likely you'll see snow. I usually recommend early to mid May to head west. However, I know the Black Hills has seen snow then also and been beautiful in April.

Too early and you run the risk of birds still not being broke up completely from winter flocks. Too late and you may not hear as much gobbling. I think late April or early May is as good a time for gobbling as you'll find.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I have hunted the last week in April in the Black hills once. And south of there in Nebraska 4 times. It can be warm and then snow.
But the birds get going when the snow quit and sun came out. Id go.
cutt down

Post by cutt down »

You just never know so the best advice is to plan around his school & go! The scenery will be something you & your son will never forget. My wife & I went last year & it was the last week of the season (3rd week of May) & I felt that was late. She tagged a bird & we were on birds all week but I felt that the first of May would be perfect. It may snow one day & be in the 60's the next! Where are you staying? You might consider a trip to Deadwood & Mt Rushmore for the history aspect of your time with your son. No matter what you won't regret going.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

FYI - I'm always considering flying into Denver, renting a car, and driving north up into WY. I live in south Florida so will fly out of Tampa. The fares that showed on SW Air yesterday were the best I've seen in years. WY never did a covid shut down last year so they probably won't this year. Might be the time. Good luck.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Funny - we were talkinga about heading to South Florida this year, but we had been planning on heading to Wyoming for over a year....so the gators will need to wait to see us until next year, escpecially if his spring break line's up the way it usually does! Yes, we will plan a few other smaller side trips to check some stuff out while we are out there. Turkey Time is almost here!!!!!

We are staying in Sundance, Wy so right between the two big chunks of public and if we get lucky, not far from the border so we can hop across to SD if we need to.

We also are taking a tent in case we want/need to drop down to Nebraska or want to leave a day or two early and hit a state on the way home. Plans...then back-up plans...then back-up's to the bank-up, right?!?!

Post by 935 »

I killed my Merriam's in the Black Hills of SD on April 25, 2018. There was snow knee deep in areas shaded by the mountains. It snowed and sleeted one day during the week we were there. Other than that the weather was great. Be sure to check out the Crazy Horse Memorial, you won't regret it. Good luck.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
bwhana

Post by bwhana »

Will be up there April 22 - May 6 (also hunting NE), staying in a friend's cabin outside of Rapid City. First time chasing merriams, should be fun. Planning to take time out to see Crazy Horse and Rushmore too.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”