Thermacell Recommendation

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Thermacell Recommendation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Looks like I'm giving Florida a run, so thinking a thermacell would be a good idea. It looks like there are a few to choose from. Any one of them significantly better than the other?
WAGinVA

Re: Thermacell Recommendation

Post by WAGinVA »

Just go to Wally World and get what they have. I like the nylon "holster", mostly because it has space for extra pads and an extra fuel canister.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

WAGinVA wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:19 am Just go to Wally World and get what they have. I like the nylon "holster", mostly because it has space for extra pads and an extra fuel canister.
I don't think Wally world in Helena, MT has them. At least I've not noticed them. I guess Sportsman's Warehouse may have them but they just aren't all that necessary here. I do plan on checking though.

I've only used one once or twice when I borrowed one on a visit back home.
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

Here (VA) I think they are in the camping section.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Amazon has them, Shane.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Get two. You'll need the second to replace the first when you leave it in the woods. They are similar to strikers. Designed not only to repel skeeters but also to be left in the woods. I am the Johnny Appleseed of Thermacells in SE Georgia woods having lost more than my fair share. Dale found one in a tangle that I lost when I got hung up in a large ti ti bay that we have to pierce to get to a bottom. I had a range of versions over the years from the device's inception that would end up not working properly. I saved them. On a lark, I contacted the company with my complaint and was shocked when they told me to send them in. I boxed them (3 or 4) up and sent them back and they were returned in working condition by Thermacell at its costs. Great company and product. I still wear the high percentage Deet as a back up in case of malfunction.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Shane,

We have used Thermacells for years here in South Florida. The basic green one works fine. They all do the same thing.

Recommend you wait and buy it here in Florida. Can’t take the cartridges on the plane. Wally World, Home Depot, etc., has them. Presuming you will do Wally World for licenses, pick it up then.

Not sure where your planning on hunting but, Green Swamp has 3 quota permits on this weeks Reissue drawing.

Good luck!
Don
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'll check the camping section here and sportsman's then go to Amazon. They'll probably have dust on them if they are on the shelf here. I think there are very few folks here that even know they exist. However, if you hit the mountains just right here in the summer, they'll carry you off.

Considering that we've been negative temps all week, they'll think I'm nuts when I ask about it.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Just the basic cheapest one is what most carry. They have them for the patio and such but you want the basic.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

The fart smell scent works great they keep the insects and other people away it has no effect on turkey they can't smell.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Swampstalk wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:19 am Shane,

We have used Thermacells for years here in South Florida. The basic green one works fine. They all do the same thing.

Recommend you wait and buy it here in Florida. Can’t take the cartridges on the plane. Wally World, Home Depot, etc., has them. Presuming you will do Wally World for licenses, pick it up then.

Not sure where your planning on hunting but, Green Swamp has 3 quota permits on this weeks Reissue drawing.

Good luck!

Good idea. I'm flying into Sarasota and looks like there is a Walmart there. Our friends live in Winter Haven. I think I'm set up for private land. I hope the private land comes through, but I hate to count on it. I'll look at the quota stuff.
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

Bear island. Buy a cheap bike at Wal-Mart and a GPS
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Buy one from either Walmart online or Amazon and have shipped to your friends in Winter Haven if you are assured you will see them. I wouldn't depend on walking into a store before hunt and expecting them to have one in stock.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

GLS wrote: February 10th, 2021, 6:14 pm Buy one from either Walmart online or Amazon and have shipped to your friends in Winter Haven if you are assured you will see them. I wouldn't depend on walking into a store before hunt and expecting them to have one in stock.
That's probably a good point.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

turkyjoe wrote: February 10th, 2021, 5:59 pm Bear island. Buy a cheap bike at Wal-Mart and a GPS
I'll look into it. Im pretty certain that I could borrow a bike but I could probably do as much with my legs. Although it will take more time.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: February 10th, 2021, 6:28 pm
turkyjoe wrote: February 10th, 2021, 5:59 pm Bear island. Buy a cheap bike at Wal-Mart and a GPS
I'll look into it. Im pretty certain that I could borrow a bike but I could probably do as much with my legs. Although it will take more time.
Check you PMs.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

Didn't get any PM
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

turkyjoe wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:29 pm Didn't get any PM
That was meant for Hobbes. Sorry for the confusion.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I wouldn't put myself out looking for a Thermacell for turkey hunting, but don't leave the truck without coating yourself in 40% DEET regardless.

It'll melt your glasses, take the camo off your gun and ruin your truck's paint job. If you're not having such problems you'e not using enough.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

howl wrote: February 10th, 2021, 8:17 pm I wouldn't put myself out looking for a Thermacell for turkey hunting, but don't leave the truck without coating yourself in 40% DEET regardless.

It'll melt your glasses, take the camo off your gun and ruin your truck's paint job. If you're not having such problems you'e not using enough.
Haha!!! I've coated myself in it back home on multiple occasions. August squirrel hunting in the river bottoms was insane. Turkey hunting was almost as bad.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

jmbradt73

Post by jmbradt73 »

howl wrote:I wouldn't put myself out looking for a Thermacell for turkey hunting, but don't leave the truck without coating yourself in 40% DEET regardless.

Hahaha. Ain't that the truth I have a thumb print permanently embedded in the varnish if my Mossberg 12 gauge. I guess no problems proving its mine, just match up my finger print [emoji106]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

firedup

Post by firedup »

Cant really add to the conversation other than to 2nd / 3rd the comments of Deet ruining finishes on things. Including custom turkey calls. However you decide to get a Thermocell, do yourself a big favor and GET ONE. They WORK and if you are near water and no wind the skeeters are a thing you don't want to experience. They don't work so great with the biting gnats IMO but...... A cheap one with extra pads and fuel should be fine.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

The laterst research shows that DEET's effacacy tops out at about 50%. Anything greater than 50% just does a better job of melting your steering wheel. In addition to the Thermacell, I would definitely pretreat my clothes w/ a permethrin such as Duration 10% mixed w/ water - 1 oz.permethrin to 19 oz water for a .5% solution of tick killing magic. Duration works great, but I've gone to Martin's 10% Permethrin at a 1 oz. to 15 oz ratio which yields a .66% Permethrin solution. I'm past my reproductive years, so, what the hell! I use a spray bottle and usually do at least two applications, letting the garmets dry between applications, and touch-up my pants mid-way through the season.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Thanks for the advice on the deet and the permethrin as well as the thermacell. I've got the thermacell covered now thanks to George. He's hooked me up with an extra that he had. I'll have the fuel and pads sent Tomy buddy in FL to avoid flying with them.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”