Save the poults

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Skimerhorn

Save the poults

Post by Skimerhorn »

Has anybody else noticed this movement by a lot of people to start trapping? Seems like a good idea. I'm thinking about getting some traps and trying myself
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Save the poults

Post by OLE RASPY »

It’s fun. Trap the coons and possums.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

It's why I support Delta Waterfowl and not DU, trapping Vs. no trapping. Common sense at the ground level ! We have chickens, with only 2, that's right, 2 havahart traps we trapped over 60+ coons without any effort in a 3 year period. Truly believe "egg eaters" are the greatest decimating factor on our ground nesting birds.
Last edited by spider316 on February 7th, 2021, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

There's a live trap or two set year round here. My dad said he caught 14 coon and 8-9 possums last year just round his chicken coop. That's alot of vermin to be roaming around messing up all upland gamebird nests. Since fur prices have declined over the last several years small furbearer populations have exploded leaving upland game populations suffering about the same rate of decline. Grouse and quail especially; they are almost gone here. Turkeys fair a little better just due to their size but are very susceptible too.

I say catch all you can and have no mercy.

God Bless, Louis
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

spider316 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:23 pm It's why I support Delta Waterfowl and not DU, trapping Vs. no trapping. Common sense at the ground level !
Sorry I am a bit lazy and don't feel like reading pages of bureaucractic BS. Could you elaborate on this please. It is time for me to re-up my DU membership, but would gladly support Delta if it is more beneficial.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

jsh909 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:42 pm
spider316 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:23 pm It's why I support Delta Waterfowl and not DU, trapping Vs. no trapping. Common sense at the ground level !
Sorry I am a bit lazy and don't feel like reading pages of bureaucractic BS. Could you elaborate on this please. It is time for me to re-up my DU membership, but would gladly support Delta if it is more beneficial.
DU is way to PC for me, don't support trapping, and if you got money for a TV show, you don't need me !
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I let a guy trap my property because I don’t live close enough to it. Big head start for the turkeys.

And thanks for the the title of this thread. It took me back to Cheech And Chongs Save The Whales song. Had to find it on YouTube😂
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

jsh909 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:42 pm
Delta is more for the hunter. Predator management is at the heart of the focus for raising ducks. Scientific based decisions from studies.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Right on guys, I will join Delta instead then. Thanks for the info
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I have 2 sizes, similar to this one, but less $ !! :thumbup:
I will have them set out soon :thumbup:

https://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ADCDURA
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Outdoorsmen

Post by Outdoorsmen »

I trapped a few years ago but then took a break from it for a few years. It's a major time commitment having to check them daily according to the rule book. So your schedule has to be flexible and timing has to be right. My property is 45mins away so not to bad but yet not easy. So this year I got back into it for a few weeks. I ended up with 10 coons and 2 opossums by setting 8 traps. I felt good about my success rate. I used my cell trail cams to monitor the traps so I knew when I had a catch. So I would like to get official word from a conservation officer if you can substitute a cell camera instead of physical check every day.
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Don't forget the crows they get as many eggs as the coons.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

The farms that are doing extensive trapping on them near me are seeing an increase in turkey numbers. The farms that are just doing a little trapping are not showing an increase in turkeys. And when I'm talking extensive its like 50+ coon traps and 10-20 bobcat/coyote traps set out.
Outdoorsmen

Post by Outdoorsmen »

Well it only makes sense that the more traps = more catches. Property size comes into play. And the neighborhood surrounding.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Look at Delta Waterfowls data on nest production in trapped areas versus non-trapped.
max

Post by max »

have 2 live traps set roughly 200 yrds apart . in the last 6 months or so 18 coons 11 possums 1 armadillo.hopefully this will help the nesting success this spring
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Hit em hard boys! If fur prices ever went up that would sure help!
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Just knocked off raccoon #6 of the current campaign at my house. Usually kill 8-10/ year, but they just keep coming back.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

There is no end to those buggers.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Mtns2hunt

Post by Mtns2hunt »

8 possums so far this year. One Bobcat with a rifle. Cat was chasing a deer through hay field. Very aggressive. Pic below, hopefully link will work.

https://u.cubeupload.com/Robsum9/Resized.jpg
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Coons are plain crazy, a lease I was managing the landowner ran traps for fun all summer to relieve crop damage, he would stop in September so he wouldn't mess with our hunting.

We were talking one day and he said he hadn't caught any coons near a food plot we have, showed him all of them on the trail cam and was like WTH. Let him go back down there and hit em again!
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

I've been doing it for forever never pass up a chance to take out all predators

Return to “Gobbler Talk”