2021 Spring Hunting Plans

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2021 Spring Hunting Plans

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I don't think I've seen this up yet. What's everyone's plans this year for spring turkeys? Were you stuck at home in 2020 due to this virus? Are you going to make up for it this year and travel more?

I've been planning Florida all along but I think I'm going to have to skip it....... again. I'm low on vacation and haven't been able to build comp time due to mostly working from home. In addition, the IRS is bending me over again.

I will run from one end of MT to the other during April and May. I also always hold out hope that I can hop state lines and hunt a state that runs to May 31 after we close out. If that has any hope it will be SD or WA, but it would be last minute same as last year.
avidWAoutdoorsman

Re: 2021 Spring Hunting Plans

Post by avidWAoutdoorsman »

Got sidelined hard in ‘20 because of travel restrictions conflicting with work responsibilities. Was looking at 8 states and only did 2.

‘21 will be a hopeful redemption year. We’ll see, but trying for 11 states in my dreams.... probably 6 or less when reality sets in.

I’ve already told work that if I gotta quarantine after my trip(s) in ‘21 to deal because I ain’t sitting two years straight on the sidelines.

Good luck to everyone on there ‘21 season

Dreams: DE/VA/NC/SC/GA/TN/KY/WV/MD/WA/ID
Reality: DE/VA/SC/GA/MD/WA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by 935 »

For the last several years I've been trying to kill a grand slam. So this year I'll stay close to home and see what happens. There is a piece of limited access, permit only public land that I'm entering the drawing for. If we get drawn a friend and I will pitch a tent and stay close by instead of driving back every day. I haven't camped in years so that should be fun. If I tag out early in NC (that never happens) I might venture into VA. As was said, good luck to everyone.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
shaman

Post by shaman »

I'll open up Turkey Camp in a few weeks. I'm waiting for a weekend without rain and a high of 50F. Sometimes that's late Feburary. I've seen it go as far as the last weekend in March.

From then until the start of season (this year it's 4/17) I spend as much time as possible in the field with my recording gear, getting audio for my podcasts.

Turkey Camp runs until mid-May. This year we have a new member joining the Shamanic Dream Team. Remnar is all up for it. This will be his first turkey hunt.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I'm not sayin' nutin' and will post pics. "when" and "if" it happens :banghead: :stir: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Well it looks like my plans this spring will be the same as last year a big goose egg !! :banghead:
Not looking good right now for fall either. :cry:
After 2 years of basically no spring turkey those critters better be ready for a woopin in 2022 if I'm still around then lol
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

Made the decision last year that I had killed enough so I guess my plans are no plans.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I'm waiting on my second knee replacement so I'm staying home, as well..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Hognutz wrote: February 4th, 2021, 12:07 pm I'm waiting on my second knee replacement so I'm staying home, as well..
When are you doing that? Will you still be able to hunt at home?
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My knees have been bad for a long time, Shane. I put it off (foolishly) for a long time. I had the left knee done on October 30. My right knee is just as bad as the left one was. I'm getting cortisone shots in it to keep me going. I want to make it until this October (at a minimum or until this Covid thing is handled)
and do it all over again. That way my yard is squared away for the year and no ice around to negotiate.
There has been no possible way that I can/could walk in leaves, not knowing where my foot was going to land. Anyone with bad knees know what I'm talking about!! It's been a couple of years since I could hunt!! I've found fishing is easier on the pegs!! 😁
Oh well. I haven't been cheated if it is a done deal.
Kylimblifter

Post by Kylimblifter »

Last year wasn’t too bad and was able to kill in 4 states. This year I’ll be starting late March and ending late May but everything in between is kinda up in the air. I should be hunting at least 4 new states

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Looks like Florida and Texas are green lighted so far. Alabama, Kentucky if they will sell me a tag this year. Ohio. I would love to go west in middle may if scheduling holds up.
Magdump

Post by Magdump »

Going to attempt 3 new states this year. Nebraska/Kansas archery in one trip. Then Kentucky.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I'll be guiding/hunting in FL for about a month, then I'm headed out west for the rest of spring. Hoping to hit about a dozen states, subject to change at any time. We'll see......
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I hope to hunt here in OH & make my yearly trip to Gobblers Roost but time will tell.
I have had some health issues that may impact my travel plans.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Gonna be a GREAT spring!!!

Trip 1: Eastern Tennessee (4 days)
Trip 2: Kansas (3-4 days)
Trip 3: Indiana (2 days)
Trip 4: Wyoming, SD, Neb (10 days)
Trip 5: Wis or Minn (3 days)

+ Michigan (my home state) - IF I have time!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Hunting S FL public land quota permit for sure opening weekend, then non-quota public land area.

Later heading to our farm in Oklahoma for Rio hunt. Hopefully this will be the year I finally tag one!
Don
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'm still back and forth on Florida. I may just buy the tickets and fly on down. It'll probably never be any easier to make the trip from Montana. It's insane how irrational that I can be when it comes down to killing a turkey.
Jhcats10

Post by Jhcats10 »

Texas, Kansas, and Kentucky for me this year! Can’t wait.

HoltBensley

Post by HoltBensley »

Covid sidelined me last year and this year is going to be another so so year.. Due to not working very much and recently purchasing a house. funds are lower than normal but going to try to hit a few neighboring states
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Just here In ky and mexico to finish my world slam.
But u can’t look me up on NWTF. I don’t register any birds with them.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:37 pm I'm still back and forth on Florida. I may just buy the tickets and fly on down. It'll probably never be any easier to make the trip from Montana. It's insane how irrational that I can be when it comes down to killing a turkey.
Do it Hobbes. Don’t talk just do it. You only live once. Let me know how it turns out.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

HunterGKS wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:47 am I hope to hunt here in OH & make my yearly trip to Gobblers Roost but time will tell.
I have had some health issues that may impact my travel plans.
You’ll go to the roost george. Don’t beat around the bush. Lol. Good luck. Hope your health holds up dude. It will.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Hognutz wrote: February 4th, 2021, 1:02 pm My knees have been bad for a long time, Shane. I put it off (foolishly) for a long time. I had the left knee done on October 30. My right knee is just as bad as the left one was. I'm getting cortisone shots in it to keep me going. I want to make it until this October (at a minimum or until this Covid thing is handled)
and do it all over again. That way my yard is squared away for the year and no ice around to negotiate.
There has been no possible way that I can/could walk in leaves, not knowing where my foot was going to land. Anyone with bad knees know what I'm talking about!! It's been a couple of years since I could hunt!! I've found fishing is easier on the pegs!! 😁
Oh well. I haven't been cheated if it is a done deal.
Hope your knees hold up for this season hogster. Then right after get it fixed then get to doin better. Prayers sent
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Thanks, Raspy!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”