Flying w/shotgun

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Flying w/shotgun

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I normally drive everywhere, but MT to FL is too far.

Any suggestions for gun hard case for flying? Any advice for flying into Florida with a shotgun? Or just flying with a gun in general?
Jstocks

Re: Flying w/shotgun

Post by Jstocks »

Get to airport early.

If you want to save money on checked bags, use a double sided gun case. Remove foam and pack in one side, store gun and ammo in the other.

Wear camo, boots, and turkey vest on plane to keep from having to pack that set.

Buy a cheap mesh big suit for camo to pack and throw on over your regular clothes you pack to minimize amount of necessary clothing.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I hate flying with a gun; it seems different airlines have different rules, and it's likely that whoever you deal with at the airport won't know them.

A lot depends on where you are going too. Retrieving your gun at Midland, TX would be easy. Atlanta probably won't be. Read the rules ahead of time on the website of your airline, and then get there early with a good attitude. :)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Jstocks wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:40 am Get to airport early.

If you want to save money on checked bags, use a double sided gun case. Remove foam and pack in one side, store gun and ammo in the other.

Wear camo, boots, and turkey vest on plane to keep from having to pack that set.

Buy a cheap mesh big suit for camo to pack and throw on over your regular clothes you pack to minimize amount of necessary clothing.
Put ammo with your packed clothes and not with the gun .. check airline specs. would be best and I know AA and Delta are the same!!
Did the double sided case when I went to Alaska, but you'll be travelin' light to Florda :thumbup:
You'll get cleared a lot easier in MT and depends on what airport in Florida, may be somewhat of a stickler, but doubt you'll ever see some of the crap I've seen since 911 :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

MT will be a breeze, but not sure about Orlando. I've just never flown with a gun before. It looks pretty straight forward, but I don't trust the baggage folks.

My wife is going with me and we'll be staying with friends part of the trip, so I can't avoid the baggage fees.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

As a retired LEO that worked 5 years in an International Airport plus, after retirement, 4 years as a customer service agent in a SW Florida airport this has become a favorite topic. As usual much of what you'll see on these forums is not correct. ALL airlines will have a printed Contract of Carriage and very specific rules for flying with firearms and ammunition. Those that have problems have not done their homework. At this point in time you should not have a concern flying into Orlando. Florida is still a "red" State. Airlines now have added that the customer is responsible for knowing the local laws when taking possession of the firearm at their destination. Always try and book direct flights if possible. Good luck.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

joey46 wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:24 pm As a retired LEO that worked 5 years in an International Airport plus, after retirement, 4 years as a customer service agent in a SW Florida airport this has become a favorite topic. As usual much of what you'll see on these forums is not correct. ALL airlines will have a printed Contract of Carriage and very specific rules for flying with firearms and ammunition. Those that have problems have not done their homework. At this point in time you should not have a concern flying into Orlando. Florida is still a "red" State. Airlines now have added that the customer is responsible for knowing the local laws when taking possession of the firearm at their destination. Always try and book direct flights if possible. Good luck.
Yes, I've been reading United's policy on guns and ammo. As far as direct flights go, there is no such thing from MT to Florida. Thanks for the input.
firedup

Post by firedup »

What Joey said. Call the airlines you be flying on and get their guidelines in advance. In writing if possible. Its always the little things. Some airlines require ammo to be IN ITS ORIGINAL BOX, stuff like that if your into TSS. Get there plenty early to get thru the check procedures. Use your gun case for all the extra storage you can. It a great place to stash tail fans, feet / spurs and even the breast if its frozen and bagged right on the way home too. I also wear what I can, boots for sure, not the vest but often some camo items. I use a soft side 12 pack type cooler as a carryon. They make them as backpacks now. My calls and essentials go in there and with me.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Me and my buddy just flew from VA to MT and back in November 2020. I think we were United going out and American coming back or the other way around. I looked up on their website the rules and followed them. It was no big deal or surprises. I got 2 TSA locks off Amazon and had the case locked. I had factory ammo in the box inside the gun case with 2 rifles. No issues whatsoever. They were careful with the cases and searched under the foam padding. Now with all the COVID 19 restrictions, the airports were fairly empty. If you want, open the bolts take the mags out or whatever, but other than allowing maybe 30 extra minutes max, it's no big deal.

Tell them you're on GN and CamoMan said you're exempt from all rules!!!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

CamoMan4025 wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:03 pm Me and my buddy just flew from VA to MT and back in November 2020. I think we were United going out and American coming back or the other way around. I looked up on their website the rules and followed them. It was no big deal or surprises. I got 2 TSA locks off Amazon and had the case locked. I had factory ammo in the box inside the gun case with 2 rifles. No issues whatsoever. They were careful with the cases and searched under the foam padding. Now with all the COVID 19 restrictions, the airports were fairly empty. If you want, open the bolts take the mags out or whatever, but other than allowing maybe 30 extra minutes max, it's no big deal.

Tell them you're on GN and CamoMan said you're exempt from all rules!!!
I forgot that you just flew in and out of here. I had a buddy fly in and out a couple years ago from San Diego with a rifle with no problems. I've just not done it so no confidence in the process and don't really like the idea of a Venom in pieces.

Post by 935 »

A case similar to this is what I use. https://www.planomolding.com/shop/hunti ... rifle-case. Having the gun taken apart eases the minds of airline and TSA folks. Plus, this size case isn't subject to oversize baggage fees like full-size hard gun cases. Depending on where and how you are hunting a soft case might come in handy also. Me and the Mossberg have flown 3 times and the only hiccup was at Norfolk International returning home. My gun didn't come sliding down the shute like it had done at Dallas/Fort worth. I had to go to the lost baggage desk and show my ID. Like was said, every airport is different.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Dave Owens has a great video on YouTube about flying with guns.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Print a copy of the airline and TSA gun regs. I agree with the above, get a case that allows you to disassemble the gun, may help put someone at ease in case you get a person not used to checking guns.

I have not flown with a gun, have with a bow many times, I use a double bow case and pack clothes all around the bow for protection and lightening the load of other bags! Just check weight limits, they will kill you on over weight charges!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Turkinator wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:14 am Dave Owens has a great video on YouTube about flying with guns.
I'll check that out. Didn't recall him doing that.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

It took a while but I found Dave Owens' video. He did a thorough job especially with the ammo. His tip that the case should be as close to normal standard bag length as possible is 100% on target. Your gun case may then be loaded with normal luggage and not separated with the oversize items such as golf clubs etc. Flights into Orlando will have lots of golf bags in large heavy plastic cases. Btw - my "flying with a turkey gun" case is a Plano 36" case that has it's own locks and a place for two extra padlocks. I use all of them. Remember you always retain possession of the keys and the extra locks do not need to be TSA locks. My last TSA inspection was in Tampa (TPA). It was brief and professional. My 36" case takes a 870 Remington with the barrel off with no problems. I think I found it on Amazon for under $70. Again, good luck, we'll be waiting for the stories.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Turkinator wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:14 am Dave Owens has a great video on YouTube about flying with guns.
this

Return to “Gobbler Talk”