Flashback to 2004

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Flashback to 2004

Post by HunterGKS »

It was 16 years ago today when the 1st of 4 hurricanes ripped through Florida. I was extremely
lucky that my home was not damaged. I did lose several large trees.

I lived in Florida from 1969 into 2005 & saw a lot of tornadoes & hurricanes none of which scared
me too badly as they never got too close to Brandon where I lived. The 2004 hurricane season
changed all that, scared the bejeebers out of me, & was a defining reason in regards to why I
moved back to Ohio. There were 4 major storms from 08/24 through 09/28. Two caused a lot of
damage in my area but I was extremely lucky & only lost trees. Francis came through, 08/24-09/08,
& took down a few trees. Jeanne, 09/13-09/28, took down even more trees. I did all the clean-up
myself. I wore out 2 chainsaw chains to say nothing of how worn out I was after several days of hard
work.

The 1st 6 pics are of damage caused by Hurricane Francis. The next 5 are from Hurricane Jeanne.
The next 8 are of the clean-up process. The 1st pic of Winston was after Francis. He wore himself
out chasing grey squirrels through the debris. The 2nd is after Jeanne & he seemed disappointed that
there were no squirrels around. The best thing to come from the storms is a custom turkey call made
for me, by Irving Whitt, from one of the trees that were blown down on 08/26. All the trees I lost were
chinaberry trees. This may be 1 of the only, if not the only, calls made from chinaberry wood. It is an
awesome sounding call which went to the woods once, brought a nice gobbler to the gun, & was then
retired to my call cabinet. The call has too much meaning to run the risk of breaking or losing it.

Hurricane Francis - 08/24/2004-09/08/2004

Hurricane Jeanne, 09/13/2004-09/28/2004

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Flashback to 2004

Post by HunterGKS »

Clean-up

Whitt’s Call

The Log

The Finished Call

Winston after Francis

Winston after Jeanne

George

decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

A women I worked with was directly in the path of the majority of the storms and was without power or water for about 7 weeks. Her backyard pool was the water source to flush toilets in her neighborhood for weeks. Those were big Chinaberry trees ! It hurt me to see all that wood by the side of the road. I've got 2 chinaberry pots and IMO the wood makes one of the best strikers available from a domestic hardwood. Thanks for sharing.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

decoykrvr wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:31 am A women I worked with was directly in the path of the majority of the storms and was without power or water for about 7 weeks. Her backyard pool was the water source to flush toilets in her neighborhood for weeks. Those were big Chinaberry trees ! It hurt me to see all that wood by the side of the road. I've got 2 chinaberry pots and IMO the wood makes one of the best strikers available from a domestic hardwood. Thanks for sharing.
Welcome. I had no idea that chinaberry made good calls. I thought it was nothing more than an ornamental PIA.
If I had known then what I know now...............................
George

Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

George,

Today is the 28th anniversary of hurricane Andrew back in 1992. We took a direct hit from the north eyewall in my neighborhood between Miami and Homestead, Florida. It was later determined it was a Cat 5 storm, taking out the smoke stacks at Turkey Point power plant and the 600 ft TV tower in South Dade. My wife, three kids and I were in our walk in closet while I held the door shut. Somebodies porch structure hit the gable end of the house and the roofing came off the back side of the roof, water poring through the tongue and grove wood. Most windows had the plywood covers ripped off and the back sliding door was bowed 3 inches without breaking the glass. Our dog was hiding under the headboard of our waterbed (yes we had one back then) and was shell shocked for the remainder of her life. There wasn't any trees standing and out shed was a pile of stuff scattered all over. When we went out to look at what happened I felt something climbing on my leg. It was a 18" Green anole lizard. I was the tallest thing to climb in the area.

After a few days of living in the bombed out living room on salvaged beds, sofas, etc. Actually, as it was so hot I slept in a lawn chair with a sheet over me outside. Was clear and not a bug anywhere. We got a travel trailer from my brother-in-law from Montreal and we lived in that for 5 months while our house was rebuilt. 5-6 weeks without electricity. The neighborhood sounds like a swarm of locusts until that evening when the power came back on, then dead silence. As our house was damaged we had to stay in the trailer but ran the refer off a generator. We got back into our house just before Christmas if I recall.

Since then we had 3 hurricanes in 2005 after the previous year in 2004 with the four you talked about. Katrina hit us before going to New Orleans, Wilma, and Rita all did significant damage, especially to our ag industry. In 2004, as the County Extension Director I took a look of supplies over to folks in Ft. Myers area impacted by hurricane Charlie. Funny my son and I had fished off North Captiva Island that summer when we stayed on Captiva. The next year we went back to the same spot where Charlie cut the island in half. When Francis hit the east coast near Ft. Pierce our Extension staff took tools and went to assist our colleagues there cutting up trees, hauling debris out to the road, etc. It was my first time running their Bobcat carrying logs, etc. out.

Three years ago we had hurricane Irma hit and dump a lot of rain, and toppled a lot of trees in the area, as well as roof damages. We got a new fence out of it as the old one was put in after Andrew!

We hardened the place with shutters and a generator, and we are currently exploring impact windows and doors as we have been here since 1978 and our family is here so we will just dig in and hunker down. I grew up in Tornado Alley in Oklahoma and lived through a couple of them, but I believe I would rather deal with hurricanes than this unseen virus crap!
Don
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I was there for all of those. We were lucky & didn't have much damage.
George

Return to “Gobbler Talk”