Strutter or Looker ?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
tracker 6

Strutter or Looker ?

Post by tracker 6 »

Or either? Which one do you normally shoot when you have more than one bird in the kill zone ? I try to look em over and shoot the bigger one , so either for me .
One Gobbler,One shot (well sometimes) ;)
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Strutter or Looker ?

Post by jsh909 »

I shoot the strutter if I am hunting solo
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Whichever one I got the best shot on.

Strutter typically is the dominant bird. Doesn’t mean at all that he’s got the longest spurs or beard.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

All depends. I'll usually shoot the lighter headed one unless I can see obvious reasons to shoot the other.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Why not both!?

😆 typically I shoot the strutter but bad things have happened where I shot the other instead
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Probably in the minority, but I’m a looker guy. Based on a small, statistically irrelevant, handful of antidotal encounters. And if there is any truth to the growing theory that shooting a dominant gobbler out of a small population can negatively impact overall breeding success, there could theoretically be some long-term advantage to letting the strutter live another day.

This, of course, is assuming that they both show up in range at the same time presenting equally good shot opportunities and I keep the presence of mind to think about it.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
aclawrence

Post by aclawrence »

I’ve heard from some guys that’s shoot the lookers that’s have ended up killing some really big spurred birds that’s way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

I always shoot the looker first. I have had really good luck shooting the looker first and then going back a few days later and getting the strutter. Seems IF i shoot the strutter first its very difficult to get the looker later on. I read long ago in one of the turkey hunting books that the looker is most often the dominant bird and just allows the strutter to strut. Allowing the looker to be more aware of whats happening around him. I have seen the looker breading hens and not the strutter. Just watching them both sometimes for hours or days the looker seems to be more wary to me. Do you guys have much luck getting the looker after shooting the strutter???

God Bless, Louis
coconut

Post by coconut »

If you want long spurs try and wait until they are not strutting and turn sideways shoot the one with the narrowest width where there tail feathers start. They are like old men there ass narrows with age. You can thank ol coconut when you see the long spurs.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

youngoutdoors wrote: July 31st, 2020, 10:58 pmDo you guys have much luck getting the looker after shooting the strutter???
I’ve noticed you seem to have about a 3 to 5 day window where the second Gobbler is really vulnerable, no matter which one you shoot. This is especially true if you kill one of two gobblers who were by themselves. If I have someone who I really want to kill a bird, like a first time hunter or a kid, and I know where one half of a dynamic duo is left, that’s where we go. I’d bet my next paycheck that we kill the second bird. Just have to go after him with a little different mind set.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

It's choice "C" .. bof' em' :LMAO: :LMAO: :thumbup: :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote: August 1st, 2020, 7:51 am
youngoutdoors wrote: July 31st, 2020, 10:58 pmDo you guys have much luck getting the looker after shooting the strutter???
I’ve noticed you seem to have about a 3 to 5 day window where the second Gobbler is really vulnerable, no matter which one you shoot. This is especially true if you kill one of two gobblers who were by themselves. If I have someone who I really want to kill a bird, like a first time hunter or a kid, and I know where one half of a dynamic duo is left, that’s where we go. I’d bet my next paycheck that we kill the second bird. Just have to go after him with a little different mind set.
I have to say I agree with this. If I am on a limited hunt out of town and I shoot a strutter with a buddy (looker) I usually go back after that bird before going somewhere else as more times than not they are susceptible .
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

When I am on the gun, I shoot the first one I get a shot at in range. I kill all of my birds in woods or roads, so I don't have the luxury of doing a bunch of watching them. My attention is usually turned toward the strutter, just out of habit, but I kill the first one I can kill as soon as I can kill him. To be quite honest, I am so nervous/excited when I'm on the gun, that I can't handle much observing. I hope this never changes.

More often than not, I am calling for someone else, and am much calmer and observant. I do look for spurs/beards etc in those cases, but in the woods I hunt, your best bet is to kill them when you can kill them. In my experience, these swamp birds don't do a lot of strutting for an extended period of time in the woods. They approach and may find a hump that they like and strut for a second, and then keep coming. They are very aware of slight high spots or a small sunny spot in the woods, and will strut there very briefly, but for the most part, they don't strut much.

Birds that I hunt outside of the SE are a different story, and I try to shoot all of them.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”