Short camping trip

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Short camping trip

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

My wife and I tried out a used tent and new griddle on a short trip a couple weeks ago to a NF campground. The tent is a Cabela's Outfitter tent that I picked up used a little while ago.
IMG_20200627_084937345_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200625_214951731.jpg
IMG_20200625_215121968.jpg
IMG_20200627_091647220_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200625_215116379.jpg
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Short camping trip

Post by HunterGKS »

Looks like a good time was had by all.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Those outfitter tents are sweet. My Burris rep Logan Holtz worked for Cabelas product development and helped in the design. He still has his and used it this spring in SoDak for the Burris hunting trip.

How did you like it?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Have a six man outfitter that is a great tent! Is that a Blackstone Grill?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That's livin right. Only thing I hate about camping is I don't go enough!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

My wife and I now find a motel with heat or AC as our campin' days are long gone :turkeywave:

Ya' want to hear about us, well me & my buddy, gettin' kicked out of Sleepers State Park in Michigan in the 60's. :LMAO: :stir:

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end .. Marry Hopkins song .. meber' that one Hunter George??? :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My idea of roughing it is when room service doesn’t answer till the third ring!!
:salute:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Sounds like y’all had good time.
I might camp there where you at but not here. I can’t stand skeeters. I’m not much on camping nowadays anyway. I need heat or ac. Lol.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Do all y'all see that camper in the top left hand corner? That's where Mr. Hobbes
actually "camps." The tent is just a cut-out prop.
ROTFL.gif
ROTFL.gif (47.53 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Sorry but I just had to!! JK.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: July 8th, 2020, 6:28 am Those outfitter tents are sweet. My Burris rep Logan Holtz worked for Cabelas product development and helped in the design. He still has his and used it this spring in SoDak for the Burris hunting trip.

How did you like it?

I like it. It's heavy, so will be used truck camping. Anything actually backcountry would require horses to pack it.

It is the Cabela's Outfitter XWT (extreme weather tent), so is no longer in their lineup. I thought I was purchasing an Alaskan Guide Tent. I'm pretty sure the guy had it listed as an Alaskan Guide Tent (8 person), but I don't really think he did that intentionally. He'd had it for a while and not used it more than a couple times. I'm pretty sure he looked it up on Cabela's and went with what looked the same for the description. Looking at prices for the two, I still got a decent price. I think this one would be considered a 6 person tent, but it's unlikely that there will ever be more than two of us in it.

It sets up differently than the Alaskan Guide Tent. Once I figured it out, it really wasn't too difficult. I think it could withstand some heavy winds and rain, especially if I used all of the tiedowns. I was planning to use it again this weekend at a Shoot For the Cure archery shoot, but I've got so much stuff to get done before elk season in September that I think I'll stay home and work.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

HunterGKS wrote: July 10th, 2020, 7:31 am Do all y'all see that camper in the top left hand corner? That's where Mr. Hobbes
actually "camps." The tent is just a cut-out prop.

ROTFL.gif

Sorry but I just had to!! JK.
:D :D If I hadn't had to put 30K into a new septic system last year, I probably would have bought a camper instead of a tent. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I had a popup camper 15 years ago, and would like to get another. My wife would prefer the hard sided camper though. It's the only way she'll consider camping near grizzly country.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

DBLGBL wrote: July 8th, 2020, 9:01 am Have a six man outfitter that is a great tent! Is that a Blackstone Grill?

Yes, it's the smaller version (17") with the fryer/burner on the side. I just got it for Father's Day. It's a little heavier than I like to pack around, but having the burner lets me make coffee without needing to bring my gas stove. I like it so far.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

OLE RASPY wrote: July 9th, 2020, 8:09 pm Sounds like y’all had good time.
I might camp there where you at but not here. I can’t stand skeeters. I’m not much on camping nowadays anyway. I need heat or ac. Lol.
Evenings are chilly here in the mountains, but we can still have a few skeeters. We don't have them anything like we had in Southern IL/Western KY where you had to sit around in campfire smoke and saturated in OFF just to sit outside. I like the AC also, we didn't have enough shade during the day for me to want to sit around camp. All the shady spots were already taken. We did run a My Little Buddy propane heater in the tent one of the nights. I didn't need the heater, but my wife thought it was necessary.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”