Late Season A-hole [He’s dead. I killed him]

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SwampDrummin

Late Season A-hole [He’s dead. I killed him]

Post by SwampDrummin »

Every year I run across the same A-hole turkey. It’s always late season. He’s always .9 miles away when I hear him. He always gobbles regularly until I manage to make it to him. He will stop gobbling when I call. He will resume gobbling after I shut up 20 minutes. The same will happen regardless of whether I let him fly down or call to him in the tree. If I call to him in the tree he’ll sit up there 30 minutes after he resumes gobbling. When he does hit the ground he’s off to parts unknown, some days he takes his time.

This same turkey has a way to appear miles away, sometimes in a different state. Presumably by magic. It’s the same bird trust me.

Pretty sure he’s unkillable except by ambush or limb jack. Someone tell me I’m wrong.
Last edited by SwampDrummin on April 30th, 2020, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdjnicholson

Re: Late Season A-hole

Post by jdjnicholson »

Sounds like you need to kill him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

jdjnicholson wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:00 pm Sounds like you need to kill him.

Yes!
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

He abhors pitching down to the side of a ridge, preferring to sail across hollers instead.

The two times I’ve caught up with him and tried the whole “peak a fan” trick did not go over well with this indidual.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I have run into him in Alabama and Georgia occasionally. I bet he's a skinny bird because of all the traveling he does. If I ever do kill him, I'm driving a stake through his heart and burying him on the spot
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

huntinsomd wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:05 pm
jdjnicholson wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:00 pm Sounds like you need to kill him.

Yes!
I will try.

Last year when I finally found him I was so pleased at his prowess that I gave him the last three days of the season out of respect. When I almost broke and went after him on the final day, my Dad convinced me the old bastard deserved to live.

Slowly losing respect for him. I suspect he’s the same gobbler that walked up on me drumming while fishing then pissed off when I tried to give him the ole one cluck rather than sneak him.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

This is a dangerous situation since the gobbler has definitely gotten into your head. As such, the gobbler has and is winning and the only resolution is to "put him down".
The hardest lesion and most difficult thing to do in turkey hunting is knowing when you need to leave a gobbler cause sometimes, "when you think you know him, he knows you".
I speak from previous angst and humiliation.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Every turkey is killable. You just have to be there at the right time, and right place.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

I know an old area manager here in GA that had several bad birds named on his WMA . Slowly he divulged where everyone of them were , slowly they went missing, I know there was at least 5 of them nowdays when we meet he only talks about fishing and the deer he has killed or let walk on his PRIVATE land ..lol. But he has said all I needed to know is where a bad one was , if he stayed in the area it wouldn't be long before I let him ride in the back of the truck .. But back then I hated them alot more than I do these days . I still like to hunt them. , just ain't as mad at them as I used to be ... But it was alot more challenging to go after one that had been buggered with for weeks by who knows how many hunters , and usually end up killing him . you know get them bad genes out of the gene pool !😜
10th Legion legionare !
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

guesswho wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:23 pm I have run into him in Alabama and Georgia occasionally. I bet he's a skinny bird because of all the traveling he does. If I ever do kill him, I'm driving a stake through his heart and burying him on the spot
If you want to kill him this year, you’ll have to drive up to TN. He’s currently living in a section of river bottom divided into three sections by a creek and a slash of remnant back water. You can cross the creek or the water, but not quickly or quietly. It’s like playing a shell game with a good con man. There are a couple other turkeys I could go hunt, but there’s a decent chance I’ll eat my last tag trying to settle the score with this one. And for the record, he’s been an ******* to deal with since opening week.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

His cousin lives behind my place, beware..........................they are everywhere
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Dadgum A-listers.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I usually end up killing those in the evening on the way to roost...
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Kill that A-hole and don't let him come to MT. I've got enough problems with these b!#€ hens, I don't need an A-hole gobbler to boot.
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

Tom Kelly spoke of this in The 10th Legion. Funny story... Unless you can relate, then it makes you want to hide and confess your unworthiness to even dare cast a shadow on the same ridge he sleeps on.

Those are the kind of birds that get killed "accidentally" by some guy that does everything wrong in the most unusual spot at the absolute perfect time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

guesswho wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:23 pm I have run into him in Alabama and Georgia occasionally. I bet he's a skinny bird because of all the traveling he does. If I ever do kill him, I'm driving a stake through his heart and burying him on the spot
Alabama brings out the worst in him.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

decoykrvr wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:45 pm This is a dangerous situation since the gobbler has definitely gotten into your head. As such, the gobbler has and is winning and the only resolution is to "put him down".
The hardest lesion and most difficult thing to do in turkey hunting is knowing when you need to leave a gobbler cause sometimes, "when you think you know him, he knows you".
I speak from previous angst and humiliation.
See, you get it. I called up one of those domestic abuse hotlines looking for some tips for a way out and they hung up on me.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Trustyrusty wrote: April 29th, 2020, 9:55 am Tom Kelly spoke of this in The 10th Legion. Funny story... Unless you can relate, then it makes you want to hide and confess your unworthiness to even dare cast a shadow on the same ridge he sleeps on.

Those are the kind of birds that get killed "accidentally" by some guy that does everything wrong in the most unusual spot at the absolute perfect time.

Doing my homework, went from lack luster season to seven minutes in heaven. Season closes Friday.
Attachments
726A499D-A13D-4727-A0FE-1B3379A4F55B.jpeg
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

Now you're winning

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

2 things
1. Thermal
2. 338 Lapua

Pop a hole through his gobble sack
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

hoobilly wrote:2 things
1. Thermal
2. 338 Lapua

Pop a hole through his gobble sack
I think you and I could get along just fine

SwampDrummin

Re: Late Season A-hole [He’s dead. I killed him]

Post by SwampDrummin »

Well he’s dead. Two things. One, I forgot to stake the heart. It’s sitting in a baggie with his liver but I don’t know that I can do it. Two, it feels too soon to tell the story. I can’t believe I miss that A-hole already even after all the abuse he put me through.
Trustyrusty

Post by Trustyrusty »

I guess hoobilly sparked some enthusiasm to put down the Crawfish and get your "turkey rifle"

jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Ok, it's been 5 days. You ready to tell the story?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Post by 935 »

jhogue wrote: May 4th, 2020, 11:02 pm Ok, it's been 5 days. You ready to tell the story?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
+1
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”