Turkeys with a bow???

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

Turkeys with a bow???

Post by 935 »

Last night I got a hot tip about a longbeard in an archery-only area. I ordered some Magnus Bullhead broadheads and will have about a week to practice. I'm not a big time bow hunter but the squirrels that try to eat my apples and pecans know not to let me get closer than 20 yards. Opinions, please.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
jdjnicholson

Re: Turkeys with a bow???

Post by jdjnicholson »

A blind make things more comfortable.
Decoys can help draw him in.
Set decoy at <10yrds.
Aim is important. My favorite is broadside....I look at the leg,go up from there,and shoot the upper third.
I use a sharp ,4 blade expandable head. The Grim Reaper mini mag is my go to head now. My birds die in sight,most of the time they drop dead when hit.
I've shot at 3 birds over a ten year span with decapitation head. Missed every one. I've used full length, heavy spine arrows with feather fletch,like the experts say,I can't get them to shoot well. Good luck with that.
Practice shooting while sitting in your chair. I'm amazed at the people I've taken over the years that draw the bow with the string going between there legs.
ImageImage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

You are off to the right start with the Magnus Bullhead. I bought them with the long Victory arrows that have 4 5" feathers that come in with the Bullhead 125s. My bow was tuned to my normal whitetail arrows, but the long arrows and the Magnus bullheads were dead on out to 19 yards then they started to drop considerably.

You either miss, cut their head off or leave a nasty lethal cut on their neck. I ended up killing my last two birds of my world slam with the Bullhead and long arrows and wish I would have used them years before.

Practice using a pillow. I bought a cheap pillow from Dollar General, cut two holes in the top in each corner, run a rope (parachute cord works good) and tie the rope between two trees. When you shoot the pillow, the Bullhead gets stuck in the pillow filling. Use masking tape after several shots to keep the filling from falling out.

Post by 935 »

I use 4 bade Muzzys for deer hunting. How will they work on turkeys? I going to try the Bullheads, but if I can't get them to shoot?
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

I never shoot past 19 yards and using a blind, I found that 6 yards is my favorite distance for my decoys. I use a Double Bull with only one window fully open, so I can draw back before they walk in the decoys.
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

935 wrote:I use 4 bade Muzzys for deer hunting. How will they work on turkeys? I going to try the Bullheads, but if I can't get them to shoot?
A Muzzy will go through and the bird won't even know it's hit. I stopped using them because the birds walk off and can be hard to find. Unless you are using a hybrid. I think those have mechanical blades too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Have used the bullhead and fixed blades but have gone back to mechanicals just have had better experiences with them. I shoot anywhere between 3-7 birds a year with them and still like the end results with the mechanicals.

Post by 935 »

It's definitely still a work in progress. We'll see in a little over a week.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I shoot 2 - 3 birds a year with a bow. All I know is since I switched to bullheads I haven't had to chase one yet ! I'm not sure if they are still available but I use the 100g heads I found them easier to tune and just as good at taking heads off actually better as I find them more accurate.

Post by 935 »

I've got 125s coming. Should have checked with y'all before ordering. I was all excited after talking to my brother in law.

Post by 935 »

I think I got her dialed in, last 2 shots hit where I was looking. Problem is, my brother in law hasn't seen the tom in the last few days.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”