Spring hunting in/around Fort Stewart Georgia

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jhogue

Spring hunting in/around Fort Stewart Georgia

Post by jhogue »

Looking to do a spring break hunting trip this year to the Fort Stewart/Columbus Georgia area. I'm an Army guy, so can access military installations for hunting. I've continued Fort Benning quite a bit, but Fort Stewart has more things my wife and kids would like to do while I'm out hunting. Anyone have experience on post or public land within an hour of Savannah? I assume hunting pressure on Fort Stewart would be similar to Fort Benning in early season, which isn't bad. I've checked their area maps this week and it looks like about 25% of the post is available, which should be 50-60K acres. Not sure if this typically gets worse in March as weather gets nicer and more Army units want to train in field more often.

I'm planning to take my dad as a guest. The Fort Stewart SOP is not near as specific as the Fort Benning one, especially on defining guest options for hunting. I'm calling the MWR to ask more about that today.

Not asking for specific places on or around the installation, just gauging general experiences from anyone on the area and anything that might not be obvious to a new comer.

Thanks and good luck as we get ready for Spring 2020.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

savduck

Re: Spring hunting in/around Fort Stewart Georgia

Post by savduck »

I used hunt out there, havent the last 4 years. Lots of hunters, lots of land, used to be good bird numbers. Also a new general that doesnt give a damn that you' ve paid money to hunt. The last two change of commands have had new generals that think turkey season is the best time for war games. Lots of areas closed to hunting and the ones that are are stacked with people.

Read up on the rules, they are online. Also you have to register your guns. There is a whole online system with regulations. More swampy than Benning.
misfire

Re: Spring hunting in/around Fort Stewart Georgia

Post by misfire »

I hunt it every year, but as Del stated in the above post, last year was hard as there just wasnt a lot open to hunt. I hunt it during the weekdays primarily as there is not quite as many people, but there are still a bunch.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”