Black Hills Hunting Trip

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jjhiller

Black Hills Hunting Trip

Post by jjhiller »

Me and a buddy are taking a trip to Wyoming this spring to hunt the black hills. I wanted to see if anyone on here has hunted that area before and could give us some guidance on what to do/not do, where to go, etc. Any information would be helpful. We are flying into Rapid City, SD and will be renting a vehicle.

P.S. I would be happy to provide information for anybody making a trip to Tennessee!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Black Hills Hunting Trip

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Think small
mboro03

Post by mboro03 »

I've hunted the Hill City area in the South Dakota Black Hills with good success. I only once scouted the Wyoming side, near Buckhorn.
It was bad snowy weather so we did not hunt.
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

When are you going? Be prepared for inclement weather. It changes quick out there. We had 18° nights in May last year.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

brobi9 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:02 pm When are you going? Be prepared for inclement weather. It changes quick out there. We had 18° nights in May last year.
Bwahaha I'm from N Michigan their weather no joke. 18" hurricane force winds. Got lost, didn't trust GPS had me repelling off cliffs. Figured I'd follow my tracks out, nah you saw two minutes worth.
Finally get to waypoint, wrong one. Finally get to truck Sal's bawling
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm
brobi9 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:02 pm When are you going? Be prepared for inclement weather. It changes quick out there. We had 18° nights in May last year.
Bwahaha I'm from N Michigan their weather no joke. 18" hurricane force winds. Got lost, didn't trust GPS had me repelling off cliffs. Figured I'd follow my tracks out, nah you saw two minutes worth.
:slap: don't make her bawl
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Sounds like a shortcut or two that I've taken in the mountains. I usually do this when I've got someone new along. Sometimes it's the last time that they hunt with me.

As far as the Blackhills go.....I've not hunted them, but I've killed enough Merriam's out here to know that if you aren't finding or hearing birds, keep covering ground.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”