40.05 yards

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

40.05 yards

Post by Gobbler »

Tell us your 40.05 yard stories! Tell US! :struttin: :turkeywave: :old_glory:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 40.05 yards

Post by guesswho »

All the one's I shoot beyond 40 is a mistake. It seems I can judge distance out the drivers window better than out the passenger window. I'm always doing the driving so they look closer out the passenger window for some reason. I guess it's because they take up more of the window space at the same distance out that side.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

guesswho wrote:All the one's I shoot beyond 40 is a mistake. It seems I can judge distance out the drivers window better than out the passenger window. I'm always doing the driving so they look closer out the passenger window for some reason. I guess it's because they take up more of the window space at the same distance out that side.
It's actually worse for me on the driver's side, because I have to shoot across traffic.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I love this place. No matter how bad a day I have, I got you guys to make me smile.
How bout triple digit shots,...lol
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

My longest was 57 yards. He strutted for at least 30 minutes in front of my Dekes, and refussed to come closer, so I killed him. Love those 3 1/2 hevis.
ImageImageImage
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

35 yds. Dead bird on far left ! He came in a dead run from over 200 yds away !
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
guesswho wrote:All the one's I shoot beyond 40 is a mistake. It seems I can judge distance out the drivers window better than out the passenger window. I'm always doing the driving so they look closer out the passenger window for some reason. I guess it's because they take up more of the window space at the same distance out that side.
It's actually worse for me on the driver's side, because I have to shoot across traffic.
Just rest it on the mirror and squeeeeeez.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

FuzzSawyer wrote:
Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
Just rest it on the mirror and squeeeeeez.
I just have my wife bend down, and use her back as a gun rest. She can only hold her breathe so long, so you can't take a lot of time. 8-)
ImageImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I ran the 40.05 dash in 12.75 seconds once. :D
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Gobbler wrote:I ran the 40.05 dash in 12.75 seconds once. :D
When a dog was chasing you! :bootyshake:
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

When I run the 40.5 yard dash, they use a calender, not a stopwatch!!
Last edited by Hognutz on June 26th, 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Mike,
That's funny right there.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I use an over and under, 30-30 over 12 ga., yardage has never been an issue with me.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Grumpy wrote:I use an over and under, 30-30 over 12 ga., yardage has never been an issue with me.
:mrgreen: Now, that's funny!!
ImageImageImage
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Jaybird wrote:My longest was 57 yards. He strutted for at least 30 minutes in front of my Dekes, and refussed to come closer, so I killed him. Love those 3 1/2 hevis.
Sounds like he needed a good killin'.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Spuriosity wrote:
Jaybird wrote:My longest was 57 yards. He strutted for at least 30 minutes in front of my Dekes, and refussed to come closer, so I killed him. Love those 3 1/2 hevis.
Sounds like he needed a good killin'.
A man can only be teased so long. What's even worse about this Tom is it took him like 5 hours to cover 150 yards, because he'd keep going back and forth from 75-100 yards away gobbling to my calling before he finally popped out of the woods. Then it took him another hour with the 30 minute strutting back in forth in front of me, before I finally figured out he didn't want anything to do with my Jake deke, and I dropped him. I was actually pretty pissed off by then. :lol: By the way, he was a 2 year old that had beat up enough he didn't want to fight anything anymore.
ImageImageImage
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Jaybird wrote:
Grumpy wrote:I use an over and under, 30-30 over 12 ga., yardage has never been an issue with me.
:mrgreen: Now, that's funny!!
:lol: Indeed! My thurdy-not-sicks will drop 'em all day long at 57 yards. ;)
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

OK

I'll fess up. Several years ago I was down in Alabama huntin with my buddy. We were in Barbour Co. ( Guesswho's Stomping Grounds ) & I had already killed 3 gobblers in 3 days & my buddy had only killed 1. So we hunted together that morning so hopefully we could get him on a bird. We heard one @ daybreak so we got set up on a plowed cotton field. 2 hens flew down into the field followed by a really nice longbeard. We had a jake & hen decoy out. Every time I would convince the gobbler to come over to the decoys the real hens would cutt & yelp loud & turn him. This went on for about 30 min so the hens decided to leave out of the field. The gobbler broke strut and followed them out across the cotton field. I look over to my buddy and said " You better bust him cause he's leavin fast. My buddy said aint no way I can kill him , he's too far away. I said ok wait till they cross that field & go into the woods & we will circle them & maybe you can get a shot. He looked at me and said you know they were way too far & you coundn't have killed him. I said I know I could have killed him. He said then kill the bitch. I pulled up my Benelli & held right at the top of his head. At the crack of the gun it looked like a house fell on that gobbler. I steped it off with the longest steps I could take & it was 62 steps. I made a real believer out of my buddy that day. Man it was fun ! :thumbup:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Shot a gobbler at around 60 yards once. I was young. Funny part, I was using #4 shot, pulled the trigger, bird did a back flip. Shook off the pellets, gobbled again and went the other way gobbling. Super Turkey for sure! Needless to say I only use 6 shot now and I pattern my gun before season. When I was 15 I never though about patterns. Idiot kid with a nerve to kill turkeys. You watch one turkey hunting video and your ready to kill everything in the woods. :lol: I have never taken a shot passed 40 yards since then. I like em 20 yards or closer.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Lest you think I am a long range sniper, let me set the record straight. Even after several years of shooting HTL and a pickup load of turkeys, my average kill distance is still under 30 yds. But my longest was in 2011. I hunt some pasture birds on a lease in SW NC. I was changing position, so didn't have any decoys out, when I saw a fan out past 100 yds. I sat down on the edge of the pasture and started calling. The bird strutted all the way in. He finally hung up at what I thought was around 40 yds and didn't look to be coming any closer. I let him have it with 2 oz of T98s and folded him up. Apparently I can't judge distance worth a crap when sitting on my butt with nothing for reference. He was 58 yds.

I always carry a laser rangefinder and use it anytime I'm in the woods when I set up, to range various trees, stumps, etc. I had it with me that day, but there was nothing to range but the turkey himself. I was afraid to try to pull it out with him looking right at me trying to find that hen. I really like them around 30 yds, but TSS sure gives a lot of range insurance.
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

In my high school days I killed several between 45 and 55 yards with 3" lead 6's. Now some required an extra shot and some severe stomping. Got a job and bought a 3.5" 870. For the next several years every turkey I killed was under 30 yards. Finally this year I used the extra range on a spooked clearcut bird. TSS freight trained him at 58 steps. I don't go after them trying to shoot em at 40+, but they piss me off enough I like knowing I have the ability to reach out there
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Spuriosity wrote:Lest you think I am a long range sniper, let me set the record straight. Even after several years of shooting HTL and a pickup load of turkeys, my average kill distance is still under 30 yds. But my longest was in 2011. I hunt some pasture birds on a lease in SW NC. I was changing position, so didn't have any decoys out, when I saw a fan out past 100 yds. I sat down on the edge of the pasture and started calling. The bird strutted all the way in. He finally hung up at what I thought was around 40 yds and didn't look to be coming any closer. I let him have it with 2 oz of T98s and folded him up. Apparently I can't judge distance worth a crap when sitting on my butt with nothing for reference. He was 58 yds.

I always carry a laser rangefinder and use it anytime I'm in the woods when I set up, to range various trees, stumps, etc. I had it with me that day, but there was nothing to range but the turkey himself. I was afraid to try to pull it out with him looking right at me trying to find that hen. I really like them around 30 yds, but TSS sure gives a lot of range insurance.
I hear ya on the 30yds, bout perfect. I like em 30-35 to let the pattern spread a bit, but usually end up with a few at spitting distance every year as well. Rarely have to take one past 40, but after fooling with them a while and catching the reds, I'll light em up if I know the rig will do it. As one of my buds used to say, "Stick and move, stick and move..."
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

I've shot a few in the 45yd. range, but the longest was in 2006 on a hunt before work. I had gone out that morning with the forecast for rain........and boy did it rain!! I had set up on a bird where I heard & saw him roosted the morning before, but was much, much closer this particular morning. I didn't hear a single bird @ 1st light but stayed figuring he was just silent. Then the rain and thunder came.

Shortly after it slowed down, the gobbler started gobbling back behind me in the woods and because there was a deep ditch behind me, I knew he probably wouldn't cross it to my side. So, I moved and circled out around him over toward a power line and set back up just inside the woods. I began calling and soon had 2 hens and the gobbler headed my way. The woods are a little more open in this section giving the birds alot of area to look over. When they didn't see any other turkeys, the hens started to move off taking the big guy with them. I figured he was in that 45 yd range and squeezed the trigger. Down he went. I got up and stepped the distance off to the gobbler..........my stride is very close to a yard............and I came up with 54 steps. I was pretty surprised, so I stepped it off again and came up with the same #. I was using a 3" shell in either #5 or #6 Hevishot, but I can't remember the oz's.

Turned out to be my best bird ever. Had a triple beard and while I don't remember the exact lengths, the longest was over 10", the 2nd was over 8" and the 3rd was around 6". He also had 1 1/2" spurs. :D He was soaked from the rain and I had no idea he had the triple beard. It was a nice surprise when I started to look him over.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I need a laser rangfinder with and instant kill mode.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Took my neighbors son on a hunt this year. His grades had been brought up to A-B Honor roll so he got to miss school to hunt. Got a bird to strut in silent(I could hear him spit and drum). He was trying to circle so I had Brandon shoot him at about 45yds. The bird hit the ground and never moved till I picked him up. Had a puddle of blood under his head about 5" across. I will never believe it would have been a more special hunt had the bird been at 39.5yds.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Return to “Gobbler Talk”