Merriam's Fans/feathers (All Gone)

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Merriam's Fans/feathers (All Gone)

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'm doing another clean up and I've got a handful (7 or so) of Merriam's fans (not spread out) that I don't need. I always keep my own plus my kids but rarely do anything with them. They range from buff to creamy. I don't think any are snow white. They all include 6" or so worth of back feathers. Does anyone need any feathers for fly tying or anything else before I get rid of them? I'll mail at my own expense. If you need some for fly tying, I may have a rooster pheasant cape or two that I can throw in if you want that.
IMG_20220126_115706183.jpg
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on February 1st, 2022, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Merriam's Fans/feathers

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've had some takers on another site (Upland Journal and Rokslide) for fly tying, mount repair, and a decoy.

I've found 5 more fans. These cover several years, so don't get any ideas that I'm doing something illegal. They account for mine plus my boys and probably one buddy's fans.

Just to make sure I'm clear. I am not selling these. They are free.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

It is amazing how those fans can accumulate over the years. Years ago NWTF was asking for feathers for what they called the Zuni Project. Before we moved to Florida I gathered mine and a few buddies' (all Easterns) and we shipped them off. Got a commemorative pin for doing it. I've since lost the pin. Oh well. Hope you are feeling better today. Love those white feathers but still hoping to get one on my own. :struttin:
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Beautiful fans! Looking forward to the day I can get out west to chase one myself. Awesome gesture.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

joey46 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 4:02 pm It is amazing how those fans can accumulate over the years. Years ago NWTF was asking for feathers for what they called the Zuni Project. Before we moved to Florida I gathered mine and a few buddies' (all Easterns) and we shipped them off. Got a commemorative pin for doing it. I've since lost the pin. Oh well. Hope you are feeling better today. Love those white feathers but still hoping to get one on my own. :struttin:
I'm feeling pretty good today.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Good to see you're up and at'tem' and sure hope ya' find homes for em' all :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
bcturkeynut

Post by bcturkeynut »

Just a thought but have you ever considered using the feathers to make a wreath? I have done 6 or 7 over the years for myself and friends. It's really not that hard. I can describe if you are interested. Here's a couple of pics of the one I have above my fireplace. If I am remembering correctly, I used feathers from 6 fans to make this one. Obviously the Merriams will provide more color and should look nice.
Attachments
Wreath2.jpg
Wreath1.jpg
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

bcturkeynut wrote: January 26th, 2022, 6:45 pm Just a thought but have you ever considered using the feathers to make a wreath? I have done 6 or 7 over the years for myself and friends. It's really not that hard. I can describe if you are interested. Here's a couple of pics of the one I have above my fireplace. If I am remembering correctly, I used feathers from 6 fans to make this one. Obviously the Merriams will provide more color and should look nice.
That's really nice. I've seen similar before and I've considered it but never did it. I may come up with something for my office at work. I've got a half dozen spoken for. A couple for decoys, one or two for mount repair, and someone that's a member of a fly tying club can spread out whatever I don't get rid of.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

If you still have a fan, I will take one or two for my gobbler decoys
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

jsh909 wrote: January 30th, 2022, 5:35 pm If you still have a fan, I will take one or two for my gobbler decoys
Okay. I'm trying to send everything out tomorrow
Lucky Goose

Post by Lucky Goose »

Beautiful fans. And that's very kind of you.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Merriam's Fans/feathers (All Gone)

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Between here and a couple other forums, All the fans are spoken for from flies, to decoys, to mount repair.

I'm behind on sending them out though. I've got family in visiting, so pressed for time. Don't give up on me, I'll get them out. :)
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

IMG_20220206_152026176.jpg
I'm softening up and cleaning off the feather ends so you guys can spread them easier. A lot of folks probably haven't dealt with a fan that dried closed.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Fans heading out US mail tomorrow.
IMG_20220206_221439484.jpg

Return to “Gobbler Talk”