Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Turkey

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
doc1059

Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Turkey

Post by doc1059 »

I have seen some reviews on here about the SA-28 but nothing on the SA-20 tactical turkey from Mossberg. Just curious what type of experiences and patterning people have experienced with this new gun. Having held one I definitely liked the way it felt- curious if anyone has any pattern testing with Indian Creek chokes and hand loads or Foxtrot ammo.

Definitely on the list to consider purchasing one. The one piece of feedback I did receive was that someone that had one did not like the trigger. Thank you for any input.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 8.41.53 PM.png
SKFOOTER

Re: Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Turkey

Post by SKFOOTER »

I have one and it’s a keeper! Indian Creek .562 and Apex TSS 9’s and 9/10 Greenleaf blend pattern great!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Those definitely shoot good. Especially with the Indiancreek chokes.

I built mine own before they came out with this version. I used the tactical breeze and had Remchoke installed. It’s a fun lil gun
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Had a new one in the box pitched off Thursday for trigger work. Once again, as a dedicated turkey gun, it should have never left the factory needing the trigger assembly totally reworked. It's now a lot better, but the over-travel before it breaks may be OK for a wing shooter, but I like my shotgun triggers for turkey hunting to perform more like a rifle. I'm in the process of breaking it back down again. A really neat shotgun. The sights are coming off, it requires a special base available from Sumtoy for a red dot which is on the way with a Sumtoy choke tube. The stock design allows for good utilization w/ a red dot and the short barrel handles and balances well at the barrel/receiver junction. My friend is picking up the gun this afternoon and has his TSS reloads ready for evaluation. FYI,
the front sight is locktite/glued in and required a hardened Phillips torqued w/ small vice grips to remove. The rear ghost ring sight requires a metric 1.5 hex for removal (the top hex well on one of the screws was factory stripped out and required a 1/16 flat head screw driver to remove) and the hex screws on the receiver take a 2.0 metric. The gun is leaving with a very hunt friendly trigger.
slick

Post by slick »

decoykrvr wrote: April 30th, 2023, 8:58 am Had a new one in the box pitched off Thursday for trigger work. Once again, as a dedicated turkey gun, it should have never left the factory needing the trigger assembly totally reworked. It's now a lot better, but the over-travel before it breaks may be OK for a wing shooter, but I like my shotgun triggers for turkey hunting to perform more like a rifle. I'm in the process of breaking it back down again. A really neat shotgun. The sights are coming off, it requires a special base available from Sumtoy for a red dot which is on the way with a Sumtoy choke tube. The stock design allows for good utilization w/ a red dot and the short barrel handles and balances well at the barrel/receiver junction. My friend is picking up the gun this afternoon and has his TSS reloads ready for evaluation. FYI,
the front sight is locktite/glued in and required a hardened Phillips torqued w/ small vice grips to remove. The rear ghost ring sight requires a metric 1.5 hex for removal (the top hex well on one of the screws was factory stripped out and required a 1/16 flat head screw driver to remove) and the hex screws on the receiver take a 2.0 metric. The gun is leaving with a very hunt friendly trigger.
Great review. Will be picking one up after the season closes.
Who is doing your trigger work ? Are are the factory sites a real pain to remove.

Keep me updated on how the gun does when and if you run some tss through it.
doc1059

Post by doc1059 »

Great review, please keep us posted on how it patterned.
slick

Post by slick »

SKFOOTER wrote: April 29th, 2023, 7:52 am I have one and it’s a keeper! Indian Creek .562 and Apex TSS 9’s and 9/10 Greenleaf blend pattern great!
Which model Indian creek choke does this gun take ??
yelpy

Post by yelpy »

If the screws are loctited in you can heat them to make removal easier.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

The gun was patterned at 40 yards, 2 days ago w/ a 1 1/2 oz., hand-load of TSS 9's, and although I haven't seen the pattern, the gun's owner said it rivaled most 20 gauge, 1 5/8 oz. patterns. The gun is now in the Dakota's, and will be utilized there, Montana and Minnesota. I think the gun takes a Mobile choke and the glue on the front site wasn't loctite, but a clear glue which coated the complete underside of the site w/ a screw into the rib.
slick

Post by slick »

decoykrvr wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:59 am The gun was patterned at 40 yards, 2 days ago w/ a 1 1/2 oz., hand-load of TSS 9's, and although I haven't seen the pattern, the gun's owner said it rivaled most 20 gauge, 1 5/8 oz. patterns. The gun is now in the Dakota's, and will be utilized there, Montana and Minnesota. I think the gun takes a Mobile choke and the glue on the front site wasn't loctite, but a clear glue which coated the complete underside of the site w/ a screw into the rib.
Thanks for the info, plan on building one after the season is over.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I like mine. I just put a Carlson’s .570 in it and a Kingslayer green dot on it. 250 in the 10” circle at 40. Good 20” pattern too.
I left the sights on. I may remove them some day but they actually would work well if my eyes were younger I think. In a bind I could remove the dot and hunt them.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
slick

Post by slick »

Tail Feathers wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:44 pm I like mine. I just put a Carlson’s .570 in it and a Kingslayer green dot on it. 250 in the 10” circle at 40. Good 20” pattern too.
I left the sights on. I may remove them some day but they actually would work well if my eyes were younger I think. In a bind I could remove the dot and hunt them.
How is the trigger. I’m
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

The trigger wasn’t horrible but a $12 Mcarbo spring made it very acceptable.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

FYI, the gun I worked on which is now out west was a 28 gauge, SA-28 Tactical Turkey.
The Showstopper...

Post by The Showstopper... »

I have 2 of these in 20 gauge on the way, I also ordered tightwad chokes for them,some red/green dot sights, mcarbo springs and slings, one is a gift for my dad and I bought the other one for myself. I hope they are here before June 18th, they shipped today. This gun basically is the same as the Weatherby sa 459's I have, so it seems, which is an outstanding little gun.
Am I the only one tired of the online whine-a-billy's?.........OGF.... :wave:

I am a proud member of the " Fringe Minority".......... :canada:

Pucker up Turdeau................and kiss my Lanark County Redneck Ass
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

Great gun… I put one thru the ringer this spring, it passed with flying colors.

Best I can tell there isn’t much difference between this gun and the SA-459. I love my SA-459.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Mine accounted for two birds this spring. Bird 3 was taken with the SX3. No gripes, that Mcarbo spring is worth the money. The trigger is good.
The Showstopper...

I just started today with setting my 20 up to get ready for end of April, I already changed the spring out and I took the fiber sight it came with ,I atttached a williams universal ghost ring sight and will pattern and sight in with it, and I may use a red dot as well,so I have it setup with the sights and red dot. I dug out the tightwad choke, and I am now on the look out for one more choke to try out in it. I will test out a few different shells in the 3 chokes over the next few weeks, as of today my plan is to bow hunt the majority of the upcoming season and hunt with this new gun and the weatherby sa 459 I have as well only for this season.

The Showstopper...

I had a gift card to use up ,so I ordered a Carlsons .565 to test as well,along with the .570 tightwad and factory choke. I may get out and fire a few shells in the next week or so depending on weather.

CraighogCo

Post by CraighogCo »

Hey fellas, new here. I've got a new SA20 tac, just ordered a box of federal TSS #9's. I've been looking at a few different chokes to test out as well. Red dot is on the way. Can someone help me out with a link on this mcarbo trigger mod? Or dumb it down and give me the short version of what it does. Thanks!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Just Google Mcarbo trigger spring, start with an Indian Creek choke, and check out FoxTrot ammo over federal.
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
CraighogCo

Post by CraighogCo »

Awesome, thanks bud, appreciate the info
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

What Spider said.

Return to “Small Bore”