Mossberg sa28 my two cents

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Mossberg sa28 my two cents

Post by Samm4770 »

So I just purchased a mossberg sa28 and picked it up yesterday and want to give my 2 cents on my first opinion of the gun. Man was I impressed the gun had good weight and shoulder great. I own an older mossberg 835 and had a 500 and they were nothing but field guns got the job done but rattled and heavy and bulky. But this 28 gauge feels great. I own Tristars and I know they are made in the same factory but I think the mossberg from my first impression is a better gun. I will follow up once I shoot it and report how it shoots. But if anyone is looking for a 28 gauge I wouldn’t hesitate with the mossberg sa28
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Mossberg sa28 my two cents

Post by Hoobilly »

wait until you shoot it
its gonna make you proud you bought it.

just clean the action and lightly oil it.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
twyatt

Post by twyatt »

I just got one too and absolutely love it. Well, if I could find a choke that would fit it, I would love it even more. So far Indian Creeks don't fit, and I bought 2 chokes from Trulock to try, a 529 and 535. The 535 screws right in. The 529 will not screw in. I did take a bird with it using the 535 and Fox Trot Cherry Bombs this week, but I'd really like to tighten up the pattern.
IC said they'll make me a choke if I send them my barrel, I was just trying to avoid that until after the season since my red dot is mounted on a meadow creek mount on my barrel. Now that my season is over, I'll likely be sending IC my barrel. I sure wish I could have seen what the TruLock 529 looked like first though. Other than chokes being a giant PITA so far, I absolutely love the gun and it will be my new primary turkey gun.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Looks like a sweet gun, still do not understand why the 20ga turkey gun is lighter than the 28 and .410? I only went sub gauge to reduce weight, I don't care what the gauge is!

If the .410 loads were as common 5 or 6 years ago when I started loading TSS I would have started there so I could carry a 3lb gun!
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

I will have to check my gun. I bought an Indian creek for it the Mobil threads but haven’t checked it
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

twyatt wrote: May 13th, 2022, 1:35 pm I just got one too and absolutely love it. Well, if I could find a choke that would fit it, I would love it even more. So far Indian Creeks don't fit, and I bought 2 chokes from Trulock to try, a 529 and 535. The 535 screws right in. The 529 will not screw in. I did take a bird with it using the 535 and Fox Trot Cherry Bombs this week, but I'd really like to tighten up the pattern.
IC said they'll make me a choke if I send them my barrel, I was just trying to avoid that until after the season since my red dot is mounted on a meadow creek mount on my barrel. Now that my season is over, I'll likely be sending IC my barrel. I sure wish I could have seen what the TruLock 529 looked like first though. Other than chokes being a giant PITA so far, I absolutely love the gun and it will be my new primary turkey gun.
So I just tried my Indian creek choke tube and it threaded into my gun with no issues.
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

I have one also and really enjoy hunting with it. I have the youth black synthetic model with the 24" barrel. I've added sling mounts, butt pad to increase LOP, Indian Creek choke (sent barrel) and a Bushnell reflex red dot on a rib mount. Has functioned flawlessly in 1+ year of turkey hunting with 3 kills between 25and 35 yards to its credit.
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

Here's a picture before I added the Bushnell red dot.Image

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Thats a sweet gun! I like that set up
Hootie2

Post by Hootie2 »

What are those weighing? What's the 20 ga weigh?
Gobblez

Post by Gobblez »

Mine weighed 5.5 lbs before the additions. Not sure about the 20 gauge but I'm guessing not too much difference in weight.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

Here is the 2 I’ve set up….. love mine!!
Attachments
4499CA5B-5095-4136-A498-5A0CECAFA2E6.jpeg
1C639BEC-092A-45F3-B091-7ACF0C408112.jpeg
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

twyatt wrote: May 13th, 2022, 1:35 pm I just got one too and absolutely love it. Well, if I could find a choke that would fit it, I would love it even more. So far Indian Creeks don't fit, and I bought 2 chokes from Trulock to try, a 529 and 535. The 535 screws right in. The 529 will not screw in. I did take a bird with it using the 535 and Fox Trot Cherry Bombs this week, but I'd really like to tighten up the pattern.
It’s not the chokes it’s the sorry quality control at the factory!!! I had the same problem with mine! The factory chokes screw in good, but no aftermarket American mobil thread choke would go more the a little over two rounds till it got hard to turn! The next gun you try the chokes might screw in good! With a lot of elbow grease, a leather glove, and a lot of Ballistol I influenced my Indian Creek choke in the barrel. Then screw the choke in, and out several times. That choke will be ready to go in every time after that! I bought my gun last year 3 or 4 days before the Tennessee season opened because that was the only one I had been able to find in over a year of looking, and didn’t have time to send the barrel to Indian Creek.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

Roost 1 wrote: May 17th, 2022, 9:34 am Here is the 2 I’ve set up….. love mine!!
Those are super nice! What did you end doing just by the Tristar pistol grip for it?
squirrel_hunter

Post by squirrel_hunter »

I have a tristar G2 viper 28ga. I squirrel hunt will mine all the time. When i bought mine nobody had the mossberg. I been wanting to set a 28ga turkey gun. I have mossberg turkey guns in 500 and SA 410's. 20 ga sa turkey gun. Now i am going to add the mossberg SA 28ga. Cant never have too many turkey guns. I like the synthetic stock on the mossberg. Is it hard to find full size stock for the youth model? Or if i got the wood stock 28ga. Either replace them or have them dipped.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

squirrel_hunter wrote: May 17th, 2022, 11:42 am I have a tristar G2 viper 28ga. I squirrel hunt will mine all the time. When i bought mine nobody had the mossberg. I been wanting to set a 28ga turkey gun. I have mossberg turkey guns in 500 and SA 410's. 20 ga sa turkey gun. Now i am going to add the mossberg SA 28ga. Cant never have too many turkey guns. I like the synthetic stock on the mossberg. Is it hard to find full size stock for the youth model? Or if i got the wood stock 28ga. Either replace them or have them dipped.
Dale Wildman taught me a trick
Since you have a Tristar already
Call Tristar and buy the subgauge pistol grip stock by using your Tristar serial number
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Small Bore”