Over under.

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Chrmayo

Over under.

Post by Chrmayo »

Can y’all recommend a light weight 20 gauge o/u that don’t break the bank but both barrels shoot close enough for turkey gun.
wchadw

Re: Over under.

Post by wchadw »

Chrmayo wrote:Can y’all recommend a light weight 20 gauge o/u that don’t break the bank but both barrels shoot close enough for turkey gun.
Yildiz youth 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tracker8320

Post by tracker8320 »

Yildiz I hear is good. I'm running a Stevens 555 and a Tristar NWTF upland hunter. I have the Stevens 555 worked out with loads and chokes but still working on the Tristar. The Tristar is a lighter gun. Hand rolling my own tss loads...both guns POI are good, no issues
Wounded big game tracker with dogs...
firedup

Post by firedup »

I really like my Tristar upland hunter as well. Mine is not the Camo'd up NWTF version but not a big deal to me. Walmrt gun. Price was good
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Only thing I don’t like about the Yildiz is the shiny receiver. I got mine cerakoted. Other than that it’s been a good little gun for the price. I have a 20 and 28ga

SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

firedup wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:33 pm I really like my Tristar upland hunter as well. Mine is not the Camo'd up NWTF version but not a big deal to me. Walmrt gun. Price was good
What chokes and loads did you settle on??
firedup

Post by firedup »

I shoot an IC 555 with handloaded TSS #9 in the long range (bottom) barrel. For the top barrel a Carlsons modified shooting standard lead in #5 or #6. At 30 yards and in, the lead patterns just fine. Probably could do #7 lead or something and be fine as well at the close yards. From what I patterned they are dead birds at 30 and in no matter what I am using (if I do my part). I also think the mod choke that comes with the Tristar would be fine for close work. I already had the Carlsons and just went with it.
SM

Post by SM »

firedup wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:33 pm I really like my Tristar upland hunter as well. Mine is not the Camo'd up NWTF version but not a big deal to me. Walmrt gun. Price was good
I picked one of those Walmart one's up too. Nice and light and shoots pretty decent with the Tightwad choke and longbeards.
Still thinking on some TSS shells and looking at the Apex 2 3/4" #8 ( can't shoot 9's in Iowa )
I have a Calson's .555 to try too.
aclawrence

Post by aclawrence »

I’ve been thinking about an O/U set up to. I think it would be pretty sweet for a turkey gun. By the time you find one and get it tapped and dipped and buy two chokes your in the price range of some nice semi autos though.

SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

firedup wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:57 pm I shoot an IC 555 with handloaded TSS #9 in the long range (bottom) barrel. For the top barrel a Carlsons modified shooting standard lead in #5 or #6. At 30 yards and in, the lead patterns just fine. Probably could do #7 lead or something and be fine as well at the close yards. From what I patterned they are dead birds at 30 and in no matter what I am using (if I do my part). I also think the mod choke that comes with the Tristar would be fine for close work. I already had the Carlsons and just went with it.
What was your 10” pattern at 40 yards with the TSS 9’s thru the IC .555 in the bottom barrel??
firedup

Post by firedup »

280 to 300. Dropped down to 200-220ish at 50. FYI rail is aluminum so I drilled and tapped for red dot myself. Camo tape on forearm and shiny receiver. Not pretty but good to go. Birds that died didn't seem to care.
SM

Post by SM »

aclawrence wrote: January 31st, 2022, 8:42 am I’ve been thinking about an O/U set up to. I think it would be pretty sweet for a turkey gun. By the time you find one and get it tapped and dipped and buy two chokes your in the price range of some nice semi autos though.

I used a Meadow Creek mount on mine with a Vortex Venom and just going with Mossy Oak vinyl wrap to camo it.
carolinaslayer

Post by carolinaslayer »

I bought the stevens 555 compact last year and put Trulock .585 and .565. Apex #8.5 and #9 did great. Super lightweight. It's like carrying a toothpick through the woods. The o/u is not to be like a semi-auto for me. Not that price wasn't concern it just wasn't the point of the build. You are able to get a shorter and lighter overall gun with the o/u which was my main priority.
Chrmayo

Post by Chrmayo »

I have been looking for a 555. I found one in 28 gauge but not 20. The 28 didn’t weight nothing.
patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

If you are willing to shop online there are a pile of them on gunbroker, including the compact model

Return to “Small Bore”