Savage 301 vs Rossi Tuffy .410s

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Meleagris gallopavo

Savage 301 vs Rossi Tuffy .410s

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

So I'm thinking about getting a .410 single shot before next turkey season. It seems the Rossi Tuffy or the Savage/Stevens 301 are relatively popular. I read more about the Savage/Stevens gun than I do the Rossi. I have some questions.

1. Can the rail mounts be removed and replaced with a solid base easily? I assume both are drilled and tapped since they come with rail mounts. Not a big fan of rails but I could be talked into keeping it. I have a Vortex Viper I'm planning on putting on the gun.

2. Both guns have 26" barrels. Normally I wouldn't like a 26" barrel on a turkey gun, but since these are single shots the overall length of the gun is shorter. Therefore I don't see the need to have the barrel shortened and rethreaded for screw in chokes. Is this a good idea?

3. I imagine there is a myriad of chokes available for these shotguns. Since I'm and Indian Creek guy, I'm gonna be thinking about the IC .380 or .385. How does that sound? is there another great choke out there that should be looked at?

4. It's assumed that if your wanting to turkey hunt with a .410 that you'll be using TSS. I'm an Apex guy, but I'd take a look at some other TSS offerings if they seemed to perform better. What has worked well for you?

5. Lastly, which gun do you think is the better gun and why? Since the 301 is now available with a thumbhole stock, both guns are similarly equipped to compete directly with one another.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Savage 301 vs Rossi Tuffy .410s

Post by Hoobilly »

EGW makes a solid 1 piece base for each. Both have different types of lugs on the barrel so they are fun specific

The 385 Indiancreek is probably a middle of the road. and you’ll need to pattern to see exactly which choke with which load does the best in either gun.

Of course I’m gonna tell you Foxtrotammo 383 Strokers for the load
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

So, "we" purchased 2 Steven's .410's this year. One for my dad who is 75 and was lugging around a single shot 10 gauge and one for my daughters. Here's my take....

1) The rail can be taken off, but there is a "ridge" of metal that sticks-up on the barrel. You are basically stuck with using the rail that is on the gun unless you want to take it to a gun-shop for some additional work. I had a Burris FF3 that was in the works of putting on a Franchi and I put it on there to see how it looked/worked. It was not bad at all. I ended up putting a red-dot scope on the .410 becase I could not get another FF3. My dad put a FF3 on his, it not a bad set-up at all. Note: My son also bought a Stevens 301 in a 20 gauge and put a FF3 on it, he was on the fence when he purchased it but he likes it after put them together.

2) The 26" barrel - I am used to shorter barrel on my single 12 gauge, but the 26" is not bad at all. The overall length of the gun is shorter in the recevier area, so you don't really notice the extra couple of inches. Shortening the barrell and rethreading I think would be a waste of money and time.

3) Chokes - we left the factory choke on them and had no issues. See comments below on ammo.

4) We shot Federal TSS out of both of them because that is what we could get (and my son show Browning because that was all that was available). We had NO issues with the Federal ammo. I know it gets a bad rap by some guys and there 100% is better ammo, but the federal seemed to work out fine. We will experiment with some other ammo (apex/foxtrot/etc) this year, but the federal did the job (see below). I believe the gun and choke were built/tuned for Federal TSS, but take that for what it's worth.

5) I have not seen really held the Rossi or shot it, but I think it has a larger stock (like a "survival" stock, right?). I am not into that and not into thumb-hole stocks. The Stevens stock on the .410 is small but built well and comfortable.

Other comments...

A) Effective Yardage: I watched my daughters shoot turkeys at 8 yards and 43 yds with the Stevens .410 on back-to-back mornings and neither bird flopped. That gun will shot 40 yds, no problem.

B) Weight: The Stevens .410 feels like you are carry around your old Red-Ryder BB Gun it is so light. In fact I knew one morning I had a long walk into a spot up a big hill, so I took it because it was so light.

C) Feel: When you hold the gun, it feels so small and insignificant. For so many years everyone HAD to shoot 12 gauge 3.5" mag loads, so it is hard to get away from that mentality. The gun feels small, light and incapable of killing birds. It doesn't kick, there is no loud boom, your shoulder doesn't hurt and your ears are not ringing for an hour after pulling the trigger...but they work, they work really well.

Just my take, I hope it helps.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Here’s a 301 with a EGW mount, and a FF4. Just took a FF3 off, and put the FF4 on.
898F7F57-C966-404C-B8ED-39B01CC519C9.jpeg
Curtis270

Post by Curtis270 »

I picked up a 301 20ga and have looked at the tuffy if they had the tuffy in a 20ga I would have gotten it just for the shell holder after handling both in the store they seemed to be on par as far as build quality goes I just like the tuffy a little more because of the built in shell holder on the stock. Also as far as ammo goes get ahold of foxtrot he will take care of ya.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Just found this pic, Stevens with a FF3....
IMG_0030[1].JPG
Meleagris gallopavo

Thanks folks. Right now I'm just tinkering with the idea. The small guns fit good with the minimalist approach I'm taking lately. Tired of lugging a bunch of stuff in the woods.
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

Have a 301 with Carson choke never expect to carry anything else killed 4 with it this year 18 yds to 50 ydsike carrying a tobacco stick compared to my 870 turkey special, an 11/87 20 ga retire them both factory choke patterned good hadvto get thumb hole stock really like shooting not crazy about carry itImage

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

forkedlighting wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:01 pm Have a 301 with Carson choke never expect to carry anything else killed 4 with it this year 18 yds to 50 ydsike carrying a tobacco stick compared to my 870 turkey special, an 11/87 20 ga retire them both factory choke patterned good hadvto get thumb hole stock really like shooting not crazy about carry itImage

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Nice. I'm a pistol-grip or thumbhole stock guy. Nice bird!
Meleagris gallopavo

What advantage, if any, does the EWG mount bring to the table? Seems to me it would be a more stable mount and lower the sight view, which is why I would purchase one.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Meleagris gallopavo wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:40 am What advantage, if any, does the EWG mount bring to the table? Seems to me it would be a more stable mount and lower the sight view, which is why I would purchase one.
Solid and won’t move

Much lower than the rail with mount and red dot on top

Meleagris gallopavo

hoobilly wrote: June 21st, 2021, 3:45 pm
Meleagris gallopavo wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:40 am What advantage, if any, does the EWG mount bring to the table? Seems to me it would be a more stable mount and lower the sight view, which is why I would purchase one.
Solid and won’t move

Thanks hoobilly. Just making sure.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Meleagris gallopavo wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 4:16 pm
hoobilly wrote: June 21st, 2021, 3:45 pm
Solid and won’t move

Thanks hoobilly. Just making sure.
Welcome

Meleagris gallopavo

I ordered the Stevens 301 thumbhole turkey. Should be here next week. Once I get the red dot mounted I'll be looking for some of those 383 Strokers and the 1 oz Legends after that. May try some of the Apex 410 loads. Thinking about the Indian Creek .385 choke.
Griff

Post by Griff »

Quick question to you guys that bought Savage 301s. How is the trigger pull on the 301? I absolutely can not hit anything with a hard trigger pull.
Meleagris gallopavo

Griff wrote: July 27th, 2021, 3:48 pm Quick question to you guys that bought Savage 301s. How is the trigger pull on the 301? I absolutely can not hit anything with a hard trigger pull.
I have heard bad things about the trigger pull on the 301 but mine was pretty light and crisp out of the box. Savage/Stevens must have received complaints and corrected it or I may have just been lucky.
jmart241

Post by jmart241 »

Mine is very good i got one when they first came out my grandsons is pretty stiff used a snap cap help it quite a bit now

Return to “Small Bore”