Benelli or Beretta 28 gauge auto

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
pacecars

Benelli or Beretta 28 gauge auto

Post by pacecars »

I have narrowed down my choices for a semi auto 28 gauge to the Beretta A400 Xplor and the Benelli Ethos Cordoba with the BeST finish. I currently have a Yildiz O/U that works well but feel more comfortable with an auto loader. I had a Franchi 48 AL but made the mistake of selling it. This is going to be for Turkey, ducks, squirrels so basically an all around gun. Have any of you tried both that can compare them? If you have had one or the other what do you think about them? Is the Benelli worth the extra $400 over the Beretta?
PawleysJim

Re: Benelli or Beretta 28 gauge auto

Post by PawleysJim »

Love my A400 Xplor.
Twodogs

Post by Twodogs »

PawleysJim wrote: April 9th, 2021, 6:06 pm Love my A400 Xplor.
I want one. Do you have an optic on it?
toasty

Post by toasty »

I have a 28ga Ben UL for about 8 years and have shot probably 8-10K rounds out of it with 1/2 of them being hunting. I have shot the xplor 28ga once. Both are fine guns, the beretta is prettier, but I like the weight of the 28ga UL better for hunting, but shot the xplor very well for clays becuase of the increased weight and a little longer barrel. The ethos will give you the best of both worlds. IMO, a gas gun needs to be cleaned and I have more issues with gas guns in the extreme cold and when they get dirty or muddy than with intertia guns. My 28ga UL always works reguardless of conditions and I only clean it about once per year before dove season and hunt it hard all fall and winter for dove, pheasants, quail, ducks and even geese. After 8 years now, it is pretty beat up, but it is 1 of 2 shotguns I will never part with. There is not a better functioning 28ga auto on the market than the benelli.
cutt down

Post by cutt down »

I've shot both! I own the a400 xplor. Both are great guns & you won't go wrong with either one. Inertia vs gas! The beretta gas system is supposed to be different than previous models & it's supposed to cycle even dirty. I shot mine all duck season w/o cleaning it. Functioned flawless. Get the one that fits you best. The "blink" system in the beretta is smooth & reliable. Beretta is the oldest gunmaker in the world & they also own Benelli so both are top quality companies. Either one you won't go wrong. Get the one you like the best!
Eagle-Dawgs

Post by Eagle-Dawgs »

I love both of my 12 and 20 gauge benelli ethos. Outstand and beautiful guns
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Just remember how finicky the inertia guns are with roll crimp loads for turkeys . that would be MY biggest concern as I would be shooting turkeys and doves .
10th Legion legionare !
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Didn’t know that about the roll crimp. I load my own TSS and they are roll crimped
Antleraddict82

Post by Antleraddict82 »

Benelli Ultralight 28ga is my favorite gun period Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Found an A400 in stock and ordered it
msalm

Post by msalm »

These threads are extremely detrimental to gun loonies... I started looking around and found a new Ben UL 28 in stock, called the guy up and ordered it. The 28 was one I didn’t have and can actually find a bit of ammo. Also ordered a couple cases of ammo for the little bugger so I’ll have a new plaything soon... now what choke for turkeys and tss? Might as well order that right away too!
toasty

Post by toasty »

msalm wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:39 am These threads are extremely detrimental to gun loonies... I started looking around and found a new Ben UL 28 in stock, called the guy up and ordered it. The 28 was one I didn’t have and can actually find a bit of ammo. Also ordered a couple cases of ammo for the little bugger so I’ll have a new plaything soon... now what choke for turkeys and tss? Might as well order that right away too!
Try your Factory Full before you buy anything else. These Crio chokes have a very long parallel section and my 28ga UL factory full throws exceptional patterns with 1.5oz #9 TSS loads. Here is 40 yards pattern with the the full which got 320 in the 10". Almost too tight, but this is my go to setup and it is very efficient.
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

How loud is a 28 gauge compared to a 20 ? I’ve never been around one
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
msalm

Post by msalm »

[/quote]

Try your Factory Full before you buy anything else. These Crio chokes have a very long parallel section and my 28ga UL factory full throws exceptional patterns with 1.5oz #9 TSS loads. Here is 40 yards pattern with the the full which got 320 in the 10". Almost too tight, but this is my go to setup and it is very efficient.
[/quote]

Well thank you for that info! Maybe I’ll give it a go this season, although I have more ‘new’ guns than tags unfortunately... that and I don’t think I’ll be able to find tss 28ga loads in the next two weeks, but I’ll look around. 1 1/2 oz, is that a 3”?? I believe the UL is a 2 3/4” gun so there is that. I see Boss has a 1 oz #9 load in stock and I’m not hand loading TSS ....yet but I see it happening when components are available again.
toasty

Post by toasty »

That 1 1/2oz load is 2 3/4". There is a 1 5/8oz load that fits in a 2 3/4", but I have not tried it out. My kids shoot 1oz of #9s at turkeys all the time and they do great. My son killed a turkey last week with a 1oz #9 load that is loaded down for low recoil. Apex also makes 28ga TSS shells if you don't reload.

Sound with the 28ga is about the same for 20ga in my experience. The type of powder has more to do with the sound than size of bore IMO.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Just a matter of time before one of the manufacturers brings out a "turkey version" 28ga semi. TSS makes the 28ga a beast in the turkey woods!
msalm

Post by msalm »

Just received my new UL 28 ga this morning...going to like this one. Talk about light and handy!
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Picked up my A400 yesterday! Light little booger!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:59 pm How loud is a 28 gauge compared to a 20 ? I’ve never been around one
Not as loud as a 20 I guess.

Get one and you’ll thank me

The Foxtrot CherryBombs in 9’s or 9.5’s is crazy good
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
PawleysJim

Post by PawleysJim »

Twodogs wrote: April 9th, 2021, 6:30 pm
PawleysJim wrote: April 9th, 2021, 6:06 pm Love my A400 Xplor.
I want one. Do you have an optic on it?
I do, bought the Beretta carrier for it and put a scope for my old eyes...
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

My “magic wand”

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Wow, just wow. Good for you brother

Return to “Small Bore”