28ga. double or auto

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
dferg0910

28ga. double or auto

Post by dferg0910 »

want a light weight 28ga. gun. are there any problems using a double vs auto such as point of aim
coconut

Re: 28ga. double or auto

Post by coconut »

My experience has been that it is challenging to find many guns that shoot to the poi. Lot easier to fix the issue when the gun just has one barrel. If you are looking for gun that shoots where you aim it stick with auto loader and be prepared to add a sight of some sort
coconut

Post by coconut »

Meant point of aim.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

dferg0910 wrote: February 17th, 2021, 10:29 am want a light weight 28ga. gun. are there any problems using a double vs auto such as point of aim
In a word - yes.

The barrels on a double gun have to be regulated for the ammo for which the gun is intended. A lightweight sxs or o/u is gonna be regulated for light field loads. Put a 1.5 oz TSS load in it and it will shoot them to a different place. All that I have worked with were sxs guns, and what usually happens is the left barrel will shoot to the left and the right barrel to the right. With an o/u, the issue will be up/down.

The issue can be solved with a file, but expect to have to work on it. Good luck if you try. I use a 5 lb 6 oz sxs 20 gauge, but I spent a lot of time getting it to shoot straight.
MeadowCreekMounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

You can also send the barrels to Briley with pattern targets and they will cut you an eccentric choke to bring the POI of both barrels together. Total cost for mine was like $110 I think.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

SxS trouble. O/U OK 'cause it just hits low with low barrel. Still on neck. If you do an auto, the weight penalty make mean a 20ga isn't significantly heavier.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

The Mossberg SA28 is liteweight a absolute turkey killer

It’s worth buying
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Since people say each gun shoots different with different chokes. When using a double barrel should you also try one choke in each barrel to see which one it likes better?
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I have a couple of Beretta O/Us and have done a ton of patterning and testing. I have not found significant differences between the two barrels of either of them with regards to choke tubes. Both barrels shoot virtually the same.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Thank you spur
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Can the Mossberg be drilled and tapped for scope?

Thanks
2Gbl
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

DBLGBL wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:35 am Can the Mossberg be drilled and tapped for scope?

Thanks
2Gbl
It can.. but you might want to get the meadowcreekmounts

That’s what I put on mine
Attachments
C7AE91FC-D924-4A9C-BE9A-E1F646D43E5F.jpeg
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doc Holiday is the go-to authority on the CZ Bobwhite 28 ga. double. He has tricked-out more than a handful for friends and family. Hopefully he will share his opinion and experiences. Gil
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Well...
I can give my experience. Start with the platform: CZ Bobwhite (20 or 28), Trulock or Briley chokes- one wide open and one tight, Skinner peep sight rear and Marbles or HiViz front depending on elevation needs. Left barrel sighted to 40- Do NOT try to make right barrel shoot “on” at 40-its your 15-25 yd barrel. T9 or9.5 in left and T 10 or Hevi9 in right) DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS PLATFORM.

Now, Preach and I agree to disagree. His experience is his and mine is mine. I have now set up 15 guns- 12 sxs and all have performed adequately. One O/U required filing per Preach’s instructions and I thank him for that. The only poi issues that I have heard about is when the platform is deviated from. Change manufacturer change platform. Try to make both barrels shoot to same spot at 40, change platform, etc

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

We have killed ametric crapton of turkeys- well above 100 now pushing 150 using this platform. My children began using it at around 10 and are deadly with it.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I’m using the 28 Bobwhite setup like Doc. He actually set this one up if memory serves.

I shoot T9’s 1.5 ounce in both barrels. Briley XF in left barrel and Trulock Skeet in the right barrel.

I’m good to 30 yards with the open barrel and too far in the tight...
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doc, have you rigged out the newer version of the Bobwhite? Any significant differences? Gil
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Gil, I have not. It’ll be interesting to see if there are any changes.

BG: I did. At least it was setup to my specs by the person who bought the gun from me. It out shoots mine.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

hillbilly wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 6:01 pm Since people say each gun shoots different with different chokes. When using a double barrel should you also try one choke in each barrel to see which one it likes better?
Yes, with lighter loads or if pushing the envelope. This is in reference to O/Us, not SxS.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

I’m shooting 1 5/8oz so I guess I’m pushing envelope 🤣
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Doc, we don't really disagree on anything related to the technicals; I just can't live with both my barrels not shooting to the same poi. I can see where setting one up the way you do would be much easier, but I was determined to make mine shoot to the same place. Both of them do, but both required work to do it.

I also agree on the gun you are using. I don't have a Bobwhite, but I have a CZ Uplander that is essentially the same gun, except it has a chrome finish and a pistol grip. The poi on turkey loads was very close on it, closer than any other gun I tried. But it weighs around 6-11, which is way more than they advertised. I never did set it up for turkey hunting.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

howl wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 5:21 pm
hillbilly wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 6:01 pm Since people say each gun shoots different with different chokes. When using a double barrel should you also try one choke in each barrel to see which one it likes better?
Yes, with lighter loads or if pushing the envelope. This is in reference to O/Us, not SxS.
Alright I have Stevens 555 in 28 and 410. Guess I'll try both barrels then with same choke. I'm assuming most factory made rounds are pushing the envelope
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

By pushing the envelope I meant distance or wanting impressive patterns. You get 500 pellets of tss going out the barrel and limit to normal distances, then thorough testing probably isn't necessary just to kill gobblers.

I have seen differences at distance because I tested past forty when first getting used to tss. And choke and barrel, in the Yildiz o/us we have, show significant variability with light loads trying to just reach forty.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doc,
Is the sight dialed in for 40 yards, left barrel, in your top photo? Or, are you just patterning?
The 20 yard pattern looks more zeroed in than the top.
Your patterns are starting to relight the fire about tricking out my old CZ 28. I bought the Skinner Peep and the post to do so but ended up mounting them on my Yildiz TK12 single shot. I went to red dots a quarter century ago because Presbyopia made getting a proper sight picture with leaf and blade sights difficult due to the fuzzing out of the leaf sight making notch acquisition difficult. However with the Skinner peep, despite the ring fuzzing out, the center is clear and perfectly round making the centering of the fiber optic on the blade almost automatic due to the eyes' natural tendency. A buddy had a horrible experience opening weekend when he hunted his red dot in the pouring rain. He missed the same bird twice due to the emitter getting wet which distorted his red dot unusable. He didn't realize he should've left on the rain cover on the FFIII because it protects the emitter and allows the dot to be seen through the cover without distortion. He lived and learned. He ended up killing the bird the next trip out. Never have that issue with the Skinner/Marble combo. Gil
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

40 was a “sighting in” shot. Moved sight slightly and shot at 20 to make sure it was ok. My routine is 20 with lead-move sight . 40 with lead. Move sight. 40 with tss. Move sight-it’s usually very close. 20 with tss.

As to peeps. Been shooting on lever rifles for years. Incredibly accurate..They are perfect for aging eyes as you should fuzz out the peep. It’s why they’re called “ghost ring” sights. Both eyes open put front sight on target brain does the rest. Don’t out think the equipment.😁
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Preach
Fair enough and well stated. And again, thank you for sharing the filing technique as I have put it to good use.

Return to “Small Bore”