28 Ga Tristar G2 Viper Rail Mount

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
duurmeehr

28 Ga Tristar G2 Viper Rail Mount

Post by duurmeehr »

I bought a new Tristar G2 Viper 28 Ga last week to turkey hunt with next season.

I expected the receiver to have a dovetail mount like my Tristar G2 Viper .410 has. I have a dovetail to weaver rail adapter on it with a red dot.

The 28 ga, the same gun exactly other than gauge, does not have the dovetail!

The top of the receiver has a sighting groove cut down the middle of it.

Has anyone been through this with the Tristar and has an idea on a mount. I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

I see the Tristar 12 Ga Viper Turkey comes with the receiver drilled and tapped and it has a rail that comes with it. I wonder if that is available as a separate item and if the curvature of the top of the receivers are the same? If they are I was thinking about buying that if possible and drilling the receiver?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Receiver.jpg
Jstocks

Re: 28 Ga Tristar G2 Viper Rail Mount

Post by Jstocks »

I’d drill it and tap it for a sumtoy mount in order to keep a low profile. Higher profile rails work, but they catch on everything in the woods.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Are you going I use a scope or a red dot?

If a red dot I highly recommend the EGW 670 universal mount and have it drilled and tapped by a local gunsmith

Or do like I did and bought the meadowcreekmounts and attached to my vent rib.
Attachments
62A815D5-8F94-4316-ABF7-FE64182C55B6.jpeg
62A815D5-8F94-4316-ABF7-FE64182C55B6.jpeg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
firedup

Post by firedup »

I bought the Tristar upland hunter O/U. Looked at the meadow creek mounts but decided to just drill and tap THE VENT RIB. Of course no receiver on an O/U. Either is easy to do and works great for red dot type sights.
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

I have an old Bushnell red dot that I have been using for years, it mounts on a weaver/picatinny rail. My old eyes seem to pick up the dot mounted out on the rail better than it does on the receiver. My other gun has it mounted like hoobilly has it in the picture with a home made adapter.

The rib on this shotgun is 6mm, I was hoping to find something that clamps on without looking to bad but haven't found anything.

Hoobilly, is that sight mounted on a picatinny? Do you know if meadow creed makes a direct ventrib mount for picatinny? I may wind up springing for a new sight. What kind is that in the picture? I looked at the FF3 but it said it is a picatinny also.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

duurmeehr wrote: September 9th, 2020, 7:28 pm I have an old Bushnell red dot that I have been using for years, it mounts on a weaver/picatinny rail. My old eyes seem to pick up the dot mounted out on the rail better than it does on the receiver. My other gun has it mounted like hoobilly has it in the picture with a home made adapter.

The rib on this shotgun is 6mm, I was hoping to find something that clamps on without looking to bad but haven't found anything.

Hoobilly, is that sight mounted on a picatinny? Do you know if meadow creed makes a direct ventrib mount for picatinny? I may wind up springing for a new sight. What kind is that in the picture? I looked at the FF3 but it said it is a picatinny also.
It’s a Burris FF3 mounted directly to the meadowcreekmounts

Doesn’t need the adapter to mount via a picatinney

duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

OK, so I decided I may as well upgrade the sight. It will be nice to get the sight down closer to the sight plane than that other sight and mount has always been. It is real awkward to hold your head up off the stock that high when shooting.

On that meadow creek mount, I see it is offered in a 6mm. My rib measures 5.97mm so I should be good with that. The question is underneath the rib. I am concerned that I don't have enough distance front to back for the bottom part of the mount that goes under the rib the way this TriStar G2 rib is made.

I don't see a phone number on their website so I sent them an e-mail. No telling when I will hear back.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

duurmeehr wrote: September 10th, 2020, 6:20 am OK, so I decided I may as well upgrade the sight. It will be nice to get the sight down closer to the sight plane than that other sight and mount has always been. It is real awkward to hold your head up off the stock that high when shooting.

On that meadow creek mount, I see it is offered in a 6mm. My rib measures 5.97mm so I should be good with that. The question is underneath the rib. I am concerned that I don't have enough distance front to back for the bottom part of the mount that goes under the rib the way this TriStar G2 rib is made.

I don't see a phone number on their website so I sent them an e-mail. No telling when I will hear back.
He’s pretty good at replying in a timely manner. That mount has plenty of room between rib and barrel. I have the SA28 Mossberg and fits perfect

duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

They got right back with me.

He was familiar with my gun and said it would fit fine.

I ordered it today.

I have a FastFire 3 coming to put on it.

Are you familiar with the UTG brand?

I am kicking around getting one to try on my .410.

They have an OP-rdm20r but the battery mounts from the bottom.

They also list a new one that the battery slides in the side like a camera SIM card.

It's an OP-rdm20ct but I can't find one for sale.

Dove season barely open here and I'm getting ready for Turkey season next March! haha
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Have heard of the UTG but never messed with one

Return to “Small Bore”