Mossberg sa28 bantam

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Skimerhorn

Mossberg sa28 bantam

Post by Skimerhorn »

I'm looking at getti g the 28ga ba team youth. My question is can I switch out the youth stock for a adult size one? Havent been able to find any info on that. If I can get a adult buttstock I'm gonna pick one up when the season goes out to get it ready for next year. Thanks for any information
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Mossberg sa28 bantam

Post by Hoobilly »

I just received my SA28 compact today. I will be buying a 20ga stock pistol grip and sand the sides to fit as it’s a thinner receiver
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

hoobilly wrote: May 1st, 2020, 4:01 pm I just received my SA28 compact today. I will be buying a 20ga stock pistol grip and sand the sides to fit as it’s a thinner receiver
Keep me posted. May go pistol grip not sure. Curious to see how yours turns out. You just got a pistol grip stock for a regular mossberg 20ga?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Skimerhorn wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:39 pm
hoobilly wrote: May 1st, 2020, 4:01 pm I just received my SA28 compact today. I will be buying a 20ga stock pistol grip and sand the sides to fit as it’s a thinner receiver
Keep me posted. May go pistol grip not sure. Curious to see how yours turns out. You just got a pistol grip stock for a regular mossberg 20ga?
Haven’t ordered one yet. Looking for the weatherby 20ga pistol grip stock. Same exact gun different names.

dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

Interested to see how your sa28's shoot. I bought one last season for my son to use as a all purpose gun. It wouldn't cycle field loads at all. Tried several different brands of ammo and also completely cleaned and lubed the gun. Sent it back to mossberg 2 times for repairs and still no dice. Really disappointed because the gun was perfect for my 10 year old. I'm sure it would have cycled turkey loads fine but wanted something he could shoot year around.... still looking
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

dustyroads wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:51 am Interested to see how your sa28's shoot. I bought one last season for my son to use as a all purpose gun. It wouldn't cycle field loads at all. Tried several different brands of ammo and also completely cleaned and lubed the gun. Sent it back to mossberg 2 times for repairs and still no dice. Really disappointed because the gun was perfect for my 10 year old. I'm sure it would have cycled turkey loads fine but wanted something he could shoot year around.... still looking
A buddy from Pennsylvania has one. His young son has shot his with a lot of the field loads. No issues.

I will be shooting straight 9’s and or 9.5’s. I’ll also be testing the 8.5x9.5 to see how I like it. Now I’m waiting for my 525 Indiancreek

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

The factory full measures around 527-528 if I read it correctly

Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

So the weatherby sa20 stock fits? Having trouble finding one online. Any others that you know of that fit it?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Skimerhorn wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 9:31 pm So the weatherby sa20 stock fits? Having trouble finding one online. Any others that you know of that fit it?
I’m looking also

Hopefully I can something to work

Pecos23

Post by Pecos23 »

I just purchase a SA28 bantam for my son and it won’t cycle shells. We tried a variety of loads from different manufacturers and it will hardly cycle a shell. The best were Winchester, but our experience was about 50% success.
Sent it back to Mossberg, they said they were able to shoot 9 shells through it no issue. They Used 1200 fps Winchester.
I haven’t tried Field loads, but I have little faith it will cycle since we couldn’t get any factory loads to cycle.
What is others experience?
Last edited by Pecos23 on November 24th, 2022, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Take the gun apart to your greatest abilities that you have faith in putting it back together. Clean it totally grease free and then spot/drip oil it on all the cycling pieces/parts. I don't know what loads you're expecting to work but go to a range and start shooting. If it's a gas gun it's gonna want some pressure but also kept clean. Keep us updated please
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I’ve shot a lot of tss and a few lead field loads from my SA28. Spits hulls out like a pez dispenser
Some need the action smoothed up and lightly oiled to run good

Pecos23

Post by Pecos23 »

I’ve owned dozens of auto loaders and have never had one that had issues like this one. Mossberg said it needed broken before is will cycle, never heard of this.
I’m waiting for the gun to get back from Mossberg warranty dept, they said no issues. I tried four separate manufacturers ammo, the best was Winchester, which Mossberg said worked well, about 50% for us.
I’ll pull it part again and clean it again.
There was a guy on this thread that had similar problems, curious to hear if he ever got things resolved.
Mossberg said they were sending me videos of test.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Pecos23 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 9:45 pm I’ve owned dozens of auto loaders and have never had one that had issues like this one. Mossberg said it needed broken before is will cycle, never heard of this.
I’m waiting for the gun to get back from Mossberg warranty dept, they said no issues. I tried four separate manufacturers ammo, the best was Winchester, which Mossberg said worked well, about 50% for us.
I’ll pull it part again and clean it again.
There was a guy on this thread that had similar problems, curious to hear if he ever got things resolved.
Mossberg said they were sending me videos of test.
Dale Wildman had to clean his and actually sanded smooth inside the action to make is work properly. I believe Papaw Neal also had problems

Pecos23

Post by Pecos23 »

I would be interested in hearing their experience, and if they were able to get this gun to cycle a variety of loads.
Are either one of the guys you mentioned “dusty roads” that commented above that he sent the gun back to Mossberg two time?
Thanks
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

It sounds to me that the gun has issues. Not just a grease or oil thing. Can't imagine why it wouldn't eject for you, then work fine for them and be a turd again when you get it back?
It doesn't add up!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

Hognutz wrote: November 25th, 2022, 9:10 am It sounds to me that the gun has issues. Not just a grease or oil thing. Can't imagine why it wouldn't eject for you, then work fine for them and be a turd again when you get it back?
It doesn't add up!
My experience with mossberg customer service with the sa28 was lacking. Sent the gun in twice with detailed comments on what the gun wasn't doing. They sent it back twice with no notes on new parts or information on what they looked at or fixed. Both times it failed to perform any better than it had previously. Local gun shop gave me my money back after watching video of the gun failing to eject shells. Cleaned, oiled, and ran several boxes of shells through it to see if that would help but unfortunately it didn't. Disappointing because it was a great feeling little gun. Bought a tristar as a replacement and it runs like a dream and has killed several longbeards since.
Thanks- Dusty
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I would video yourself shooting it and it not functioning. Send that to them along with the gun with instructions to fix it or keep it.
How can you have ANY confidence in a gun that doesn't fire everytime, without fail. No matter how cute it is or how much you like it..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Pecos23

Post by Pecos23 »

Long delay on reply, but the gun came back from Mossberg and it still has the same issue.
It will ONLY cycle factory Winchester AA Target load.
Nothing else, no reloads, even with AA hulls.
I’ve tried other factory shells like Remington, Federals ans SB’s
Very disappointed with this gun.
What portion of the action did the other guys sand/polish to get this working? Tks
bertienchunter

Post by bertienchunter »

Hoobilly wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 5:49 pm
dustyroads wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:51 am Interested to see how your sa28's shoot. I bought one last season for my son to use as a all purpose gun. It wouldn't cycle field loads at all. Tried several different brands of ammo and also completely cleaned and lubed the gun. Sent it back to mossberg 2 times for repairs and still no dice. Really disappointed because the gun was perfect for my 10 year old. I'm sure it would have cycled turkey loads fine but wanted something he could shoot year around.... still looking
A buddy from Pennsylvania has one. His young son has shot his with a lot of the field loads. No issues.

I will be shooting straight 9’s and or 9.5’s. I’ll also be testing the 8.5x9.5 to see how I like it. Now I’m waiting for my 525 Indiancreek
Where did you find the IC 525?
Ranger007

Post by Ranger007 »

On my SA-28 I took it completely down and cleaned with brake cleaner to get the ton of packing grease out of everything. Never have seen a new gun with this much grease in it.

Then I took the bolt carrier and "polished" the rails of the carrier with a Dremell and flitz polish until it was dang near mirror. The shell lifter also had a bad burr on it that was scratching hulls from the magazine so I polished the shell lifter also to smooth it all out. Pulled the magazine tube spring and shell follower out and cleaned the tube and spring with brake cleaner it had grease in there too. Changed the trigger spring to a M-Carbo and cleaned out a lot of grease from the whole trigger mechanism but didn't polish anything there. Put a drop or two of weapon shield gun oil on each of the rails and inside the receiver where the rails run, a drop of oil on the pivot points in the trigger mech, drop or two of oil inside the mag tube, and a few drops of oil on the action spring outside the mag tube.

Return to “Small Bore”