New turkey gun ?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
BobT

New turkey gun ?

Post by BobT »

I'm gearing up to hand load TSS for next turkey season and I have decided to spend my stimulus $$ on a new turkey gun. My requirements are pretty simple, 2 barrels, 2 triggers and my target weight is 6 pounds or less.
I have pretty much decided on a CZ Bobwhite in either 20 or 28 gauge. I have been shooting a 20 ga. at turkeys for around 18 years and I like it a lot but the lighter weight of the 28 sounds appealing since I hit the wrong side of 60.
Please share your thoughts and experiences, and if you would recommend a different make or model of gun.

Thanks in advance!
Bob
liv2hnt

Re: New turkey gun ?

Post by liv2hnt »

CZ is an awesome gun and you can't go wrong. I have hunted this season and last with 410s and 28 gauge doubles, and if it were me, I would lean toward the 28 gauge if you can find what you want. If you were not looking for 2 triggers, I would point you toward a Stevens 555 O/U in 28 gauge. Trulock, Comp n Choke, and Indian Creek make great choke choices and they are a dream to carry.

Best of luck and keep us posted on you choice!

Mike.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

You won’t go wrong with the Bobwhite in 28. If you’re shooting TSS, you can run 1-5/6 all the way to 1-5/8 ounce loads in it. That’ll get you to 300 pellets in a 10” circle.

The Bobwhite is a sweet gun to carry.
BobT

Post by BobT »

liv2hnt wrote: April 16th, 2020, 6:57 am If you were not looking for 2 triggers, I would point you toward a Stevens 555 O/U in 28 gauge.

Mike.
Thanks !

I had a Stevens in 28ga. not long after they came on the market, I liked it well enough but I get along with side by side guns a little better.
BrowningGuy88 wrote: April 16th, 2020, 8:16 am You won’t go wrong with the Bobwhite in 28. If you’re shooting TSS, you can run 1-5/6 all the way to 1-5/8 ounce loads in it. That’ll get you to 300 pellets in a 10” circle.

The Bobwhite is a sweet gun to carry.
This is good to hear! I have never seen the Bobwhite in person but from what I read folks seem to like them.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Well, I went with the 28ga. Bobwhite. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet since we are in the middle of turkey season. For the most part I really like the little gun but the trigger pulls are horrible, especially the right one, I haven't tried to measure it but it has to be over 20 lbs.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Call CZ and send it in. They reworked my 20 to around 5 pounds each on warranty work. They were awful like you said before the work.
BobT

Post by BobT »

BrowningGuy88 wrote: May 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm Call CZ and send it in. They reworked my 20 to around 5 pounds each on warranty work. They were awful like you said before the work.
I'll give them a call, 5 pounds would be great. I really hate having to return a brand new gun.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

BobT wrote: May 4th, 2020, 9:31 pm
BrowningGuy88 wrote: May 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm Call CZ and send it in. They reworked my 20 to around 5 pounds each on warranty work. They were awful like you said before the work.
I'll give them a call, 5 pounds would be great. I really hate having to return a brand new gun.

This was a G2? How did you find it otherwise? Center patterns ok?

Return to “Small Bore”