20 gauge factory TSS?

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

20 gauge factory TSS?

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've been handloading 12 gauge and will probably do the same with 20 next year, but I'm setting up an 870 youth 20 at last minute and won't be handloading this year. I'm pretty sure that I can get 20 gauge Federal or Browning but wondered what experience some of you have had with either.

If it matters, the gun is an 870 youth model. I've bought a Shurshot stock, rail, and Vortex Venom.
WAGinVA

Re: 20 gauge factory TSS?

Post by WAGinVA »

You will be happy with the 20. I got no advice on factory tss but if you can find a couple of boxes of Fed Heavy Weight #7 you will still be happy. I shot the 7s for several years and now handload tss.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Remington super full choke and 1 1/2 oz federal 9 should work well out of that gun.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

My kids and wife have already killed a couple birds with this gun in it's original form with lead and Hevi, so I have a couple chokes that we've used. I've got an Undertaker and a Jellyhead
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Send me your address..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Foxtrot ammo and the Jellyhead until you can get an Indian Creek in.555.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

From what I've read Browning is nothing more than Winchester. Crimp identical to WW HV. At least in 12ga it is by my look. Good luck in the wide open spaces of MT. We enjoy your post and pictures. Crazy year/crazy times.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

joey46 wrote: April 6th, 2020, 9:02 am From what I've read Browning is nothing more than Winchester. Crimp identical to WW HV. At least in 12ga it is by my look. Good luck in the wide open spaces of MT. We enjoy your post and pictures. Crazy year/crazy times.
Thanks. We are supposed to stay at home here in MT, but encouraged to get out and enjoy the outdoors on our public lands while practicing "social distancing". So I'm planning to do my best to enjoy our public lands by hunting turkeys. I'd hoped to do a late season hunt out of state in either SD, MN, NE, or WA. Two of those are off the table for sure, but unlikely this will clear out enough to do any of it. Good luck this season and stay healthy.
strum

Post by strum »

redarrow wrote: April 6th, 2020, 8:23 am Foxtrot ammo and the Jellyhead until you can get an Indian Creek in.555.

I have the same gun
I also vote for the IC .555 I have not tried the either loads but Im having great success with the Apex GT 20 # 9s.
I know some say this is an unethical range but my farther est kill with it 55 yrds.
Its was a clean kill and only one stray shot in the breast.
Before and after having it dipped.
Attachments
870.jpg
20 ga.jpg
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

strum wrote: April 6th, 2020, 10:10 am
redarrow wrote: April 6th, 2020, 8:23 am Foxtrot ammo and the Jellyhead until you can get an Indian Creek in.555.

I have the same gun
I also vote for the IC .555 I have not tried the either loads but Im having great success with the Apex GT 20 # 9s.
I know some say this is an unethical range but my farther est kill with it 55 yrds.
I really hadn't planned to set this gun up. The 12 with 1 5/8 oz of 8.5s is doing a heck of a job. It's not putting up the kind of numbers I'm seeing out of the 20s, but it'll kill em farther than I should. However, it would be nice to have a second gun set up.

Also, the gun was given to me to use by my brother for my kids when they needed it. I already had an 870 Junior (still do). He told me to keep it when I tried to give it back. I think after I set it up and we kill a couple birds, I'll give it to him with the new set up. He's had to switch to a 20 even for waterfowl due to shoulder problems, so I think it would be perfect for him.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've bought some Hotrods from Foxtrot. Enough umph for either of my sons to wallop a bird at 40 but light enough that my wife won't mind shooting them. I'm hoping to put it together for the second weekend, 17th - 20th, when both of my sons are hunting with me. They'll get to use the two Shurshots (a 20 and a 12) with Vortex Venoms and TSS. I'll mostly just call.
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

strum wrote: April 6th, 2020, 10:10 am

I have the same gun
Which base is that?
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
strum

Post by strum »

Its a Sumtoy

Return to “Small Bore”