remington 870 youth turkey gun modification

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
birddogdad

remington 870 youth turkey gun modification

Post by birddogdad »

Well i have searched around on the site a bit and am looking for anyone who has converted the 870 youth gun as a kid grows. Have one for grandson and want to make myself a very lite carry as i put 60 in the mirror!

I want to upgrade with standard length synthetic stocks (if they fit), and what make/constriction choke someone has found is great (9tss).

finally, i am mostly interested in what red dot mount someone has modified to install, just the base not recommended red dot. i will do the machine and thread myself but looking for what base someone has previously used that worked well.

thanks in advance for anyone who has done this for details or recommendations!

Bruce
Trustyrusty

Re: remington 870 youth turkey gun modification

Post by Trustyrusty »

Unlimited choice of 20ga stocks out there. From beautiful wood to synthetic tactical.
Midwest gun works has stocks, Brownells, Amazon, etc...
EGW for the base. They have a base for whatever you can imagine. I have one being delivered today.
Read lots of awesome reviews and the customer service is second to none from my experience. I got the marlin 1894 mount with the Swampfox/RMR footprint and drilling and tapping my receiver to spec.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

I just put a Meadow Creek mount on a youth 870 and pretty happy with it. Just another option. I am 6'1" and actually prefer the youth stock for turkey hunting, but I really like the SureShot stock by Remington. They are great with optics. I also recommend, if your trigger is not acceptable, the Timney Tirigger kit that includes a new sear and trigger spring. As far as choke, it depends on what kinda pattern you are looking for. The Indian Creek chokes in .555 constriction seem to put up high numbers in the 10" and that is true with my experience also. The Carlson .575 seems to put up a really nice even hunting pattern, I usually get 250 in 10" and 250 in 20" round about. I have tried many others but these two are my favorites.

Casey
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

I have a youth 870 and I have shurshot stock on it with a Indian creek. 555. I have a picatinny rail on mine for the red dot but if I did it again I would go with a sumtoy base or 336 base
tracker8320

Post by tracker8320 »

I converted my daughters 870 and last year my 12s sat in the safe. I put an ATI, purchased at optics planet, adjustable stock on it so it fits us both. Had it dipped and cerakoted, MBL. Macarbo trigger spring. Put a Sumtoy mount/protector with Burris III, 3 moa. Running 2 chokes. Sumtoy .562 on the 26" barrel and IC .555 on 21" barrel. Used Hal's loads last year with #8s TSS. Very pleased with this gun. Testing one of Ronnies loads this week. I would say a Carlson .575 or RR .570 will give a more even pattern.
Wounded big game tracker with dogs...

Return to “Small Bore”