Savage 555 28ga rib mount

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
huntinsomd

Savage 555 28ga rib mount

Post by huntinsomd »

I just picked up a Savage 555 28ga and want to mount a Vortex Venom on the rib. I plan on having a local gunsmith drill and tap the rib, but which mount should I use...Weaver or other? Thanks for your help.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Savage 555 28ga rib mount

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I got one from Sumtoy for a 20 gauge that I like a lot. It’s specifically designed for the Burris/Vortex sights. Very low profile. $50
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

I've bought a couple of those in the past for other guns and mounted them on the receiver. I didn't know if he made one that would mount on the rib. I can give him a call to see what he has that might work. Thanks for your response.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Meadow creek has a clamp on rib mount for Burris or Vorrex red dots
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

I'll have to take some measurements to see if the Meadow creek will work....looks like a good option. Thanks!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

huntinsomd wrote: March 10th, 2020, 6:44 pm I've bought a couple of those in the past for other guns and mounted them on the receiver. I didn't know if he made one that would mount on the rib. I can give him a call to see what he has that might work. Thanks for your response.
This one is specifically for a rib mount. It actually sits a little lower than the receiver mount design. It has a channel cut out to sit over the rib.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

I had the same dilemma last year.

I finally bought a piece of bulk Picatinny rail and cut a piece off, grooved the bottom to just fit over the rib and screwed it down into the posts of the rail.
Sight Mount Web.jpg
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

duurmeehr wrote: March 11th, 2020, 5:45 am I had the same dilemma last year.

I finally bought a piece of bulk Picatinny rail and cut a piece off, grooved the bottom to just fit over the rib and screwed it down into the posts of the rail.

Sight Mount Web.jpg
That looks good.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Southern Sportsman wrote: March 10th, 2020, 10:07 pm
huntinsomd wrote: March 10th, 2020, 6:44 pm I've bought a couple of those in the past for other guns and mounted them on the receiver. I didn't know if he made one that would mount on the rib. I can give him a call to see what he has that might work. Thanks for your response.
This one is specifically for a rib mount. It actually sits a little lower than the receiver mount design. It has a channel cut out to sit over the rib.
That's exactly what I'm looking for!
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Southern Sportsman wrote: March 10th, 2020, 10:07 pm
That's exactly what I'm looking for!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Good deal. Give them a call and he’ll get you set up. This is the first time I’ve mounted a sight on an O/U gun, but I can’t imagine a more simple or effective design. I’ve got it off the gun at the moment, but I can post pics tonight if your curious.

It’s the same mount squeaky has on a gun he posted in this thread: http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/vie ... 44#p199244

That’s where I found out about it.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

I spoke to William this morning and he said he would make one for me and send it my way. Thanks for all the help!
huntindawg

Post by huntindawg »

Can you make sure to follow up once you receive it and get it mounted? I have the same gun and am interested to see if it works.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

huntindawg wrote: March 11th, 2020, 9:17 pm Can you make sure to follow up once you receive it and get it mounted? I have the same gun and am interested to see if it works.
I will post some pics and overall results. I'm following a lot of what I've learned from others here on this site. I should have the gun set up by next week and some shells loaded and ready to test weather permitting.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

I didn't end up having a chance to have my 555 drilled and tapped do to my work schedule and now the virus so I'm going to wait til after the season to mount the sumtoy/vortex venom. So here she is with the IC 520/TL 529, Limbsaver slip on and sling. Patterned well with 1 5/16 oz TSS 9's. Turkeys better not get within half a football field!
Attachments
IMG_1356.jpg
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

That’s a beautiful gun!

I hope you enjoy the 28.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

BrowningGuy88 wrote: April 14th, 2020, 8:00 am That’s a beautiful gun!

I hope you enjoy the 28.
Thanks! Taking it out Monday to see if I can take the first bird with it.
dustyroads

Post by dustyroads »

How does it pattern with the indian creek and trulock chokes? Do both barrels shoot point of aim? This looks like a lightweight turkey killing machine, very interesting.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

dustyroads wrote: April 15th, 2020, 11:56 am How does it pattern with the indian creek and trulock chokes? Do both barrels shoot point of aim? This looks like a lightweight turkey killing machine, very interesting.
I didn't shoot it more than a few times last week and I didn't count pellets, but the patterns were definitely good out to 50yds (furthest I shot). I didn't bother shooting the under barrel with the slighty more open choke. I'm happy with what I have for now, but as soon as we get through these times I'll have it drilled and tapped for the Sumtoy mount and Vortex Venom. After mounting the optic I'll get serious with patterning and maybe trying other loads. The 1 5/16 oz load makes it feel like a kitty cat compared to the 1 5/8 oz loads (at least at the bench). I have several other guns ready to go, but this one is first in line to hunt with!

Return to “Small Bore”