16 GA chokes and threading

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
puppy

16 GA chokes and threading

Post by puppy »

I have a Browning Sweet 16 that was my Grandfather's and was passed to me when he passed away. Manufacture date of 1951 with a solid rib barrels 26" IC & 28" M, I occasionally shoot quail with it but have got the itch to turkey hunt with it. My thought was to cut the 28" barrel down to 22-23" and install tubes but not sure who makes 16 ga tubes and what threads they would be. Several of you will probably ask why I would do this to this gun but I will never sell the gun so resale value is not a concern and I would just like to use it because it was his. Any suggestions on best course of action?

Aaron
FloppinTom

Re: 16 GA chokes and threading

Post by FloppinTom »

I think with a load of TSS 9.5s in the mod barrel you would have a decent 40 yard turkey pattern without modifying your gun.
Get there early, stay late, sit still and don't use weather as an excuse to stay home.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

that would be sweet to hunt with

A5 sweet16 is one of my favorites
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Mike Orlen, and he has a real fast turnaround time!!! Usually will have it back in two weeks!!!! He did a Savage 220A 16ga for me with TruChoke pattern.
C0A3DE70-26C9-4922-B368-E8DCD2EB2509.jpeg
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

It is your gun so do what you want. I would never cut an original A-5 solid rib barrel, they are just too valuable especially as a two barrel set that was your grandfather's. You could buy another A-5 barrel that is already threaded if you want to shoot turkeys with this gun or buy another barrel and cut it down if you must have a short barrel.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I would get a new barrel for it that is threaded. I would not cut down the original barrels.
Mike
Thegobblergetter

Post by Thegobblergetter »

I agree with the above two posts. Just buy another barrel that has choke tubes. I would never cut an original sweet 16 barrel. I have 3 Sweet16, a 1949, 1953 (which was my Dad's), and a 1962. I shoot all three all summer long on Clay's, and one during the fall on pheasants and grouse, and one for quail hunting down south during g the winter. John

Return to “Small Bore”