Setting up my son's turkey gun

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
hunter3553

Setting up my son's turkey gun

Post by hunter3553 »

my 8 year old son will be heading to the turkey woods gun in had this spring for the first time. He'll be shooting a youth Mossberg 20ga 500, I'm wanting him to shoot federal TSS #7, my question is for the best choke. I'd like to keep his max range at 30yds but still be able to call one into our lap if possible just for the experience. Am I asking to much to be able to do this? I don't want anything that's going to be super tight at close distant but love idea of the extra pellets of #7 shot, just in case his aim isn't perfect. He's done great shooting stationary clay targets at different distance all the way out to 40yds but I think that would really be pushing it and asking a lot for his first time out.
savduck

Re: Setting up my son's turkey gun

Post by savduck »

Can still find 2 3/4 federal heavyweight 7s cheaper
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

If 9s are legal, I'd go with that out of the 20 for the added pellet count alone.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

If you already have the shells purchased, try the factory choke first and see what it does at 30 yards

I would rather have 8’s and a indiancreek 562-570 for him.

If you haven’t bought shells yet, I will be updating my website for foxtrotammo to show a youth load in the 20ga lineup
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:44 pm If 9s are legal, I'd go with that out of the 20 for the added pellet count alone.
^^This, fo sho. Unless you’re in a state that doesn’t allow smaller shot, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to shoot 7s. Or anything bigger than 9s. Especially in a 20 gauge for an 8 yr old.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
hunter3553

Post by hunter3553 »

I have not purchased shells yet we've just been practicing with light target loads letting him get used to shooting the gun with proper form not having to worry about recoil. I just checked the Iowa regulations and we can now us 8 shot or larger, for years we were always 7 shot or larger. I'd love to find a 2 3/4in 8 shot load for him, are there any out there?
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/c ... 9011926114

They are sold out at the moment, but I’m sure they will have more made up soon.

One of the many cool things about loading your own - once they’re loaded, they can be whatever shot size you write on them. :D
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Southern Sportsman wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:23 am https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/c ... 9011926114

They are sold out at the moment, but I’m sure they will have more made up soon.

One of the many cool things about loading your own - once they’re loaded, they can be whatever shot size you write on them. :D
And you are never "sold out". Run low, load more, repeat

Return to “Small Bore”