WinChoke System?? Stevens 301

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
joey46

WinChoke System?? Stevens 301

Post by joey46 »

Setting up my new Stevens 301 (.410) with a scope. I have a yet untested Jeb's Headhunter choke that fits as it should and screwed in easily. For sighting in purposes on a newly scoped shotgun I have always first installed an open choke and fired a few foster style slugs (not going to fire any slugs through a tight turkey choke). Much easier for me to see exactly where the scope needs tweaking than trying to make adjustments looking at a pattern. Anyway I could not find any improved cylinder or cylinder chokes for this gun locally and thought I found one on the secondary market - E Bay. Ended up I was sent a Model 9410 Standard Invector Choke Tube in improved cyl. It screwed in and looked just fine but when reading the fine print on the package it warns "Not for use with the Invector Plus or WinChoke Systems". Holding it next to the choke tube that came with the gun it is a millimeter or so different in length. Ooops! I never realized Winchester had so many choke systems and still not sure if a "Standard Invector" is interchangeable or not. I won't chance it. Finally got through to the Savage/Stevens parts department and ordered an improved cyl. They didn't have any straight cyl. Anyway, a word to the wise and anyone needing a Standard Invector Choke Tube in i/c send me a PM and I'll send it to you - free. BTW if you need to call Savage/Stevens plan on about a half hour of hold time. I had no luck with the on line ordering on their web site. Still a work in progress but will get it there. :roll:
Attachments
301 and simmons edit.jpg
MeadowCreekMounts

Re: WinChoke System?? Stevens 301

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

Man I just sight mine in with bird shot, did the same thing with my 301T.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Prior to and after turkey season this will be carried with the open choke and the foster slugs for hogs. Should make a nice pig killer. BTW - I'm originally from a slugs only deer State and used this method on my 12ga 870. Worked great. The 870 shotgun sighted in with slugs patterned dead on when switched over to a turkey choke and turkey load.
aeasley10

Post by aeasley10 »

My only thought is....I have seen different rounds have different POI and also different chokes cause a different POI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joey46

Post by joey46 »

True - when the scope is zeroed with the slugs the final step will be installing the turkey choke and firing a few of the TSS loads I'll hunt with. Normally this will save a whole lot of $5.00ea and up turkey loads. The scope may need some adjustment but it should be slight. Has always worked in the past hope for good results this go. We'll see.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Winchoke and standard invector are the same thread pattern.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

2Shooter wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:05 am Winchoke and standard invector are the same thread pattern.
I was afraid someone would say that. If so I've got two. The one I ordered from Savage/Stevens comes today. Glad they were only $15.00. I shouldn't have been in so big of a hurry. Thanks for the info. Good luck.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

joey46 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 12:02 pm
2Shooter wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:05 am Winchoke and standard invector are the same thread pattern.
I was afraid someone would say that. If so I've got two. The one I ordered from Savage/Stevens comes today. Glad they were only $15.00. I shouldn't have been in so big of a hurry. Thanks for the info. Good luck.
:thumbup:
dlubins

Post by dlubins »

Just buy cheap lead loads and start at 10/20yds at some white paper with + or a slack dot in the middle and work out to 30yds. Once you get it close then try the TSS shot it may take a few shots of TSS to get it centered.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I probably do it wrong, but one shot to sight in, and one to verify. I stick a dot in the center of a wall calendar. Put my crosshairs or red dot on the dot and squeeze off a round. Then I go look at the pattern and place another dot in the center of the pattern. Then lock my gun down in a vice and put the crosshairs or red dot back on the original poa. Then with the gun locked down I move my crosshairs or red dot to the dot in the center of poi. Done! Then with a new target I’ll shoot another shell to verify nothing moved while I was making the adjustment. I sight my rifles in the same way. Crosshairs on the original poa, then adjust them to the bullet hole. The key is to make sure your gun is secure while making the adjustment.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Bigvet

Post by Bigvet »

Works for me too.
Martin 55

Post by Martin 55 »

Could you share the info you found for the Stevens 301 .410 I/c choke tube. I've been trying to find one too but no luck.
steelhorse814

Post by steelhorse814 »

Call Savage Customer Service, I called them last June 2020 when the Country was on lock down and was able to speak with a Nice man and ordered a Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder for the Sevens 301 410 Turkey and got them with in a week ! Great Service from Savage ! Each choke came with a tube to protect the threads. Now I have the Extra Full Turkey that it came with and a Patternmaster, Jebs, Carlson turkey chokes too ! Its A Choke Addiction !

Return to “Small Bore”