Best 12 gauge tss load

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Jstocks

Best 12 gauge tss load

Post by Jstocks »

I’ve been shooting tss for awhile now in my 20 gauge. I have an older 12 gauge that I’m really fond of and I’ve just about shot my last longbeard xr’s and hevishot. I want to set the gun up and load my own tss for it. This is an original SBE with 26” barrel.

What are some of your favorite recipes? Why? And which person gave you the recipe (I’ll buy some shot from them if I decide to take that route, not asking for recipe sharing here).

I have access to some 3” Fio hulls, so let’s stick with those for now since hulls are a challenge to get. I also currently have 300mp, Lil Gun, and 296 powders.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Best 12 gauge tss load

Post by Hoobilly »

Tommy Duliba’s are pretty much the best shooting 12.ga loads

Easy to load and can be done both roll or fold crimp
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Yep, Tommy's 3 inch 2 oz load in the Rio hull is awesome, but I think the Rio hull is hard to find now.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gar Commander wrote: May 14th, 2021, 12:35 pm Yep, Tommy's 3 inch 2 oz load in the Rio hull is awesome, but I think the Rio hull is hard to find now.
I’ve used federal and Cheddite for the Blue Thunder load

Currently cutting down Rio 3.5 hulls

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I’ve shot that 3.5” load of Tommy’s. Yea. It’s a killer. Killed 2 in ky this year with it. It’s the shat
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

Ive had great luck w Hals Fio load, Mike
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've been shooting a 2 3/4" load with 1 5/8 oz of 8.5s. I've not put up insane numbers, but I wasn't looking for that. I have seen it kill quite a few turkeys stone dead and it doesn't kill at both ends like a 3.5" shell does. Thank God I'm done with that nonsense.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Thanks all. I was able to round up some components. Hope to test some loads in a month or so.
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

I am sure Tommy and Hal both have good loads. I have shot Hal's 3inch 2oz load and it was a killer for my gun. I would rather shoot my little guns now though.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I would say it would be pretty hard to find a bad 12ga load from Tommy or Hal! Components are going to be the tricky part.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Hal has a 2.375 ounces 3 inch load that is the best I’ve seen as far as being able to throw a hunting pattern out to the theoretical limits of TSS. Red federal hulls.
borden811

Post by borden811 »

Buy the shot from Tommy or Hal, tell them what you want to do with it, and they’ll provide you with all the data you could possibly need.
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

I had amazing results with Hals, fio load I tried & have shot it for about 5 years, Mike
Last edited by mspaci on February 5th, 2024, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tharris17

Post by Tharris17 »

Hey guys new here, wanting to get into loading some custom tss rounds for this upcoming Turkey season. I will be shooting a Winchester sxp 12 gauge. I was hoping to maybe get some insight on a recipe, hulls, primers the whole nine. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

You'll have to get load data from a TSS supplier. Buy the shot, they'll provide the data. They are the folks developing the loads and sending off for testing. I suppose you could call it a confidential honor agreement or something along those lines
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Tharris17 wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:19 am Hey guys new here, wanting to get into loading some custom tss rounds for this upcoming Turkey season. I will be shooting a Winchester sxp 12 gauge. I was hoping to maybe get some insight on a recipe, hulls, primers the whole nine. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Tommy aka Shooter is the GN advertising sponsor
Has excellent shot and the best load data

(931) 308-8767
Email Extra300s243@yahoo.com

slick

Post by slick »

They all shoot about the same, Tommys, Hal ,Ronnys.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

My opinion, anything much more than 1 5/8th oz is wasting a lot of valuable shot! Sure it will look good on paper but that size load will kill farther than we need to be shooting.

I am actually going to try a 1 1/4 oz load and see how it does. That will be in 20ga but should be a soft shooter.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Dtrkyman wrote: December 26th, 2023, 12:35 pm My opinion, anything much more than 1 5/8th oz is wasting a lot of valuable shot! Sure it will look good on paper but that size load will kill farther than we need to be shooting.

I am actually going to try a 1 1/4 oz load and see how it does. That will be in 20ga but should be a soft shooter.
I’ve shot a bunch of the 12ga 1oz loads that I know would wack a gobbler at 50 yards.
A 7/8oz 20ga can shoot stupid. 1-1/4 is a lot of fun

lhsako

Post by lhsako »

Get some #9TSS shot from Hal and use his load data. Its that easy !
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Get ya some of Brice's 2 3/4 inch 2 ounce loads called TWISTER ! They NASTY !
lhsako

Post by lhsako »

Dtrkyman wrote: December 26th, 2023, 12:35 pm My opinion, anything much more than 1 5/8th oz is wasting a lot of valuable shot! Sure it will look good on paper but that size load will kill farther than we need to be shooting.

Distance and load is a matter of choice. I have 2.5 OZ #9 in my 12 gs. 3.5" 870. Its scoped with a Leupold variable w/ QD mounts and also have a Burris Fast fire 4 w/ QD mounts. I hunt both woods and Ag fields. The gobblers who have their leks in the cut grain fields are very wary and the ability to take long shots gives me the advantage I desire.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

vaturkey wrote: January 13th, 2024, 3:12 pm Get ya some of Brice's 2 3/4 inch 2 ounce loads called TWISTER ! They NASTY !
Tell it brother!!! Tell it all!!! :salute:
Bodhisattva

Post by Bodhisattva »

Will either of the two guys mentioned previously sell the data for TSS? While I would just buy from them, I clearly messed and up bought three pounds of 8s from a vendor that was promoted through facebook group I’m in.

I have an abundance of 12ga 3” Cheddite primed hulls, and was hoping to do a 1 5/8oz load. I realize I could cut them, but I don’t have tools, and have no plans to pick them up at this time. I’ve been spending like a drunken sailor recently and need to slow down. Picking up the wads, and powder won’t be too much.
Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

I’m not answering your question exact so forgive me but tss isn’t close to necessary in 12 ga. The shot you have will go almost twice as far in a 20. Seems it’d be pretty cost efficient to just buy more of what you use now?
I mean let’s just say you are at 5-6 bucks a shell doing it yourself? One load at 5 yards once you check with light lead which we won’t include price of. Than maybe 1 shot to move and check. If good which I’d never shoot one two shells to check, you’d prob shoot 25 and 40. Many would add one further. Thats 5 rounds minimum if things go perfect. So now you’re at 25-30 bucks for 5 shots. Seems you could just buy what you use for less and forget the whole mess. TSS ain’t even close to necessary in a 12 or 20 but in a 20 it def is beneficial. 12 at normal ranges? No. Food for thought

Return to “Big Bore”