Going to take the T$$ plunge choke recommendations please

the best TSS shot shell ammo made in USA
Foxtrotammo.com
RBMTDJager

Going to take the T$$ plunge choke recommendations please

Post by RBMTDJager »

Going to fallow the advice of those here and give Foxtrot TSS a try.
Am looking for maximum range performance. I have a 12ga 3.5" Remington Express with a 24" barrel and a 3.5" Benelli Super Nova with a 24" barrel.
Looking for choke recommendations for both guns. Right now both have Indian Creek BD Strike chokes .665". Also have Benelli factory XF and two different Remington XF chokes.
Trying to minimize the number of shells I will need to fire to choose a choke and sight in.
Dtrkyman

Re: Going to take the T$$ plunge choke recommendations please

Post by Dtrkyman »

Foxtrot will have the best recs for your gun/load/choke combos! My humble opinion doesn't line up with your post of maximum range performance!

I would shoot foxtrot mini twister in 12ga personally!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

The Indiancreek 665 with the annihilators 8x9 will be hard to beat. Deadly combo

I suggest the same size for the other gun also
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I've tested a lot of chokes and loads but not as extensive as others. What I've found is Indian Creek will have the tightest core patterns and Jebs patterns will likely be the close to same size (may be smaller) but have a more even distribution. I agree if you're not handloading try Fox Trot ammo.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

Gooserbat wrote: May 14th, 2023, 10:04 am I've tested a lot of chokes and loads but not as extensive as others. What I've found is Indian Creek will have the tightest core patterns and Jebs patterns will likely be the close to same size (may be smaller) but have a more even distribution. I agree if you're not handloading try Fox Trot ammo.
Would you please list the Jeb's ID as i already have an IC BDS choke.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Forget the "maximum range " performance and learn to call the birds into definite killing range. This "long range" marketing hype is the worst thing which has happened to turkey hunting and has probably resulted in more cripples and non-retrieved birds than kills. Of all the birds which I have killed w/ TSS, 95% were within 40 yards with the knowledge from extensive patterning of just what my gun will do at various ranges. This is pure BS that you want to "minimize" your range time, yet "maximize" your range. Do your homework and look up your own choke info, but that's not the MO of a lot of folks who have always relied on others to do it for them. Give me a break!
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

decoykrvr wrote: May 14th, 2023, 4:10 pm Forget the "maximum range " performance and learn to call the birds into definite killing range. This "long range" marketing hype is the worst thing which has happened to turkey hunting and has probably resulted in more cripples and non-retrieved birds than kills. Of all the birds which I have killed w/ TSS, 95% were within 40 yards with the knowledge from extensive patterning of just what my gun will do at various ranges. This is pure BS that you want to "minimize" your range time, yet "maximize" your range. Do your homework and look up your own choke info, but that's not the MO of a lot of folks who have always relied on others to do it for them. Give me a break!
If they were as you say 95% within 40 yards and you STILL need TSS to kill them than its YOU not me needs to learn how to be an effective ethical turkey hunter.
I have shot over 90% of every last turkey specific lead shot shell in 3" and 3.5" made by Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Active and every last one gave me acceptable patterns at 40 yards. Even shot ones made by Hornady, Kent and Estate cartridge. If your shooting TSS out of a12ga and limiting yourself to 40 yards you are literally throwing away your money as plane Jane lead WLBWRs are EVERY bit as lethal and effective at 40 as TSS.

You also need to up your level of reading comprehension beyond that of grade school. I never said MINIMIZE my range time read it again. I said I wanted to minimize the numbers of shells and therefore minimize MY COST not time as TSS is $15 a shot, and AM chokes are also quite expensive. I can not say I have shot more turkey shells than anyone but I feel confident I have shot more than most as in just the last two seasons alone having shot well over 70 12ga 3.5" WLBXR's and 40+ 12ga 3" WLBXRs using AM chokes I bought from Carlson, Indian Creek, and Kicks. My total of turkey specific shells I have shot for the purpose of becoming as effective and ethical of a turkey hunter as I can be over the past 25+ years is certainly in the many 100's and that doesn't include all the dove and turkey loads I have had my sons shoot in preparation for every turkey season each year for the last 5 years.

You rendered judgment upon me without ever having met me or without knowing me in the least and accused me of be a lazy unethical and and insinuated I am a slovenly hunter that shows you are guilty in the extreme of ignorance and hubris. And for you information the ethical and absolute effective range of TSS is WELL beyond 40 yards.
If you wish to preach may I suggest you join the clergy and find a parish populated with like minded people such as yourself, otherwise keep your unwanted unsolicited bigoted ignorance based opinions to yourself.
You obviously never heard the saying sometimes its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. Well good sir congratulations you have removed all doubt.
I would ask that you NEVER again reply to any of my posted content here at GN.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I haven't hunted w/lead, with the exception of a gobbler I killed w/ an old Activ shell several years ago, in over 23 years. Until about 6 years ago, when I started reloading TSS, I still bought, patterned, and evaluated just about every "new" shell which hit the market, even the first factory issues of all the Long Beards and TSS and have done so for 44 years. I hunt now exclusively w/ a 20 gauge and have yet to find a shell which patterns better than my own reloads at ranges out to a lazered 60 yards. My shells will and can kill gobblers at distance because of my experience, skill level, and the innumerable hours which I have spent patterning and evaluating guns, shells, sights, and chokes. I never said that you were "lazy unethical and a slovenly hunter', these are your words, perhaps describing yourself. I've ethically killed gobblers at ranges which just several years ago were unthinkable due to the advent of TSS, but I seldom need or want to shoot a gobbler past 40 yards. I enjoy calling birds in to the call and not pot shooting at long range. If I can't call them in, the bird wins and walks. How do you properly pattern and evaluate any shell at a variety of ranges by "minimizing" the number of shells which you shoot while at the same time trying to maximize your range? I've shot and evaluated shotgun shells in development and production from a major shell manufacturer for over 25 years w/ the initial offerings of shells containing tungsten/iron blends and culminating w/TSS. Based upon patterns and bird cadaver penetration analysis which I carried out with a wide variety of gauges, chokes and shells, I became convinced of the efficacy of HTL tungsten blended shot over 25 years ago and converted for turkey hunting accordingly. FYI! If you're paying $15 a shell for TSS, you're getting ripped off since you sure don't need a 12 gauge w/ 3 1/2" shells when shooting TSS.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I'm going to avoid the pissing match but have found .675" diameter to be my best option in both of my 12 ga turkey guns with TSS handloads. An old Rem SF HS .675 in my 1187 and a ST .675 in my Beretta 686 UL. Both give exceptional patterns to 60 yds with 1&5/8 oz handloads of TSS 9s. Good luck!
XDeadXEyeX

Post by XDeadXEyeX »

Your .665" should be money. The IC .660" is Flat nasty in my 12ga guns with FoxTrot Annhilators. Shoots an extremely tight pattern of 9s, and 8sover9s. Theres nothing cheap about TSS, Especially if you are looking for Maximum Effective range, that takes patterning and experimenting to achieve as I'm sure you well know. Another choke or constriction will/ or wont do even better without trying it. What one gun likes the next gun doesn't.. All my 20ga guns like different chokes, different constricitons and different wads to reach maximum effectiveness, and it took several years to find it..
I gave up on the 12ga after I found out how really "Unfair" it was lol. Its just ridiculous, The 20, 28 and 410 guns were more fun for me..
Best of luck..
lhsako

Post by lhsako »

I have an 870 Rem. supermag 12 gauge. looking to shoot the annihilator 3.5 round. I have an Indian Creek .665 and a 28" barrel.
What load 8x9, straight 9 shot.etc have you had the best patterns with?
The pic of 500+ pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds impressive. Have any of you had such results?
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

RBMTDJager wrote: May 13th, 2023, 8:05 pm Going to fallow the advice of those here and give Foxtrot TSS a try.
Am looking for maximum range performance. I have a 12ga 3.5" Remington Express with a 24" barrel and a 3.5" Benelli Super Nova with a 24" barrel.
Looking for choke recommendations for both guns. Right now both have Indian Creek BD Strike chokes .665". Also have Benelli factory XF and two different Remington XF chokes.
Trying to minimize the number of shells I will need to fire to choose a choke and sight in.
I have personally shot annihilators 8's in a Mossberg 835 with .675 Indain Creek from 40 to 70 yards, they will do exactly what your looking for and some.
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

RBMTDJager wrote: May 13th, 2023, 8:05 pm Going to fallow the advice of those here and give Foxtrot TSS a try.
Oh boy, you got better chances of lasting 1 round with Iron Mike Tyson in 1995 then getting this group to agree on which choke best...... :LMAO:
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Out of my Remington 870 3.5” I shoot an Indian ck 665. Awesome patterns with 2oz 8s. But I must admit I’ve not hunted with it in 10yrs. A twenty is all I’ve shot for those 10years except for one bird with my Benelli SBE2 with a .665 Indian creek choke. Oh, and one fall gobbler with a bow. The rest have been with a twenty. Actually, with your 3.5 you should be deadly with either choke you choose
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

MFL205 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 4:02 pm
Oh boy, you got better chances of lasting 1 round with Iron Mike Tyson in 1995 then getting this group to agree on which choke best...... :LMAO:
Haha Mike Tyson uses what shoots best in his particular gun. :stir:
Wasn't born, I was hatched!!!!!!!!!!!! and raised in Tennessee.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Riverrat wrote: June 16th, 2023, 4:42 pm
MFL205 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 4:02 pm
Haha Mike Tyson uses what shoots best in his particular gun. :stir:
Mike Tyson only needs 1 in the 10” circle at 40 yds…1 iron fist that is.
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

Personally I would stick with a the .665 and go with a 2 3/4” or 3” 2oz or 2 1/4oz load. 8x9s would be great but staight 9s are all you will need out to 70yds. 8s 8x9s 9s it all depends on how dense you like your pattern.

I’d stick with the IC 665 and spend my money on a couple different loads to try in my guns. Maybe foxtrot sells a variety pack.
TN Tom

Post by TN Tom »

.665 and the 3” 2oz load will pattern and kill a whole lot further than most people should be shooting. That load performs phenomenal in my 12’s and would be considered over kill by some
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Indian Creek and a 2.5oz or heavier load of 8.5s or 8s will be your ticket for maximizing your range. There's alot of drop i have noticed at 80yds and further. Good luck on your quest for maximizing your range.

Return to “Fox Trot Ammo”