Hunting without a Vest

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
Splittoe

Hunting without a Vest

Post by Splittoe »

When I started turkey hunting with my grandpa back in the mid nineties, all I carried was a gun, 5 shells, a box call and a face mask. No gloves, no vest or seat. I remember the first vest had just two big pockets in the front and seat about 1/16" thick. I thought it was awesome. Of course now I have a vest full of pot calls, diaphrams, and locator calls.

Did anyone else start off hunting vestless?
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hunting without a Vest

Post by Turkey Talker »

I started hunting with camo shirt, camo shirt for a facemask, shotgun(enough shells for gun only),dark brown khacki pants, a diaphragm mouth call and that's all. I used the moon to guide me through fields, and I didn't drink water till end of day. Now I can't go anywhere without my camelbak!
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Yep...I was able to carry a few calls and shells in my camo coveralls. Of course, I was a teenager back then, so sitting on the ground was never uncomfortable.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I don't use a vest now.. I use a belt with a fanny pack and assorted pouches that hold my stuff. When I get to my set-up, I take it off and have it all at my finger tips.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I have evolved from this
to this
And am regressing each year back more and more to how I started.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

guesswho wrote:I have evolved from this
to this
And am regressing each year back more and more to how I started.
Awesome picture Ronnie
I thought you would be BIGGER
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have not used a vest for a couple a years now. I hunt the Beard Buster Run and Gun belt with additional Beard Buster slate holder on other side.. I dont carry alot of calls.. 2 pots, 3 strikers, owl in my belt.. The box call holder is used for water bottles and it has a nice pouch where thermacell fits. I have my mouth calls in my pocket with a trumpet and tube around my neck and my crow is tethered in my old tom shirt.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:I have not used a vest for a couple a years now. I hunt the Beard Buster Run and Gun belt with additional Beard Buster slate holder on other side.. I dont carry alot of calls.. 2 pots, 3 strikers, owl in my belt.. The box call holder is used for water bottles and it has a nice pouch where thermacell fits. I have my mouth calls in my pocket with a trumpet and tube around my neck and my crow is tethered in my old tom shirt.
Tom
How is the seat on the belt for walking does it store away nice?
Hobie
I thought you would be BIGGER
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

After 3 or 4 days im usually leaving the vest behind.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Gobblerstopper

Post by Gobblerstopper »

I still use a vest, but mainly because I like the seat

I started vest less too. All I took was a gun and a cousin that knew how to turkey hunt.
Magnumdood

Post by Magnumdood »

I started with a vest mainly for the seat. I carry a box call, a couple of diaphragm calls, some water, a snake bite kit and a trauma pack.
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

I started with a vest probably because of my quail hunting on the desert in my youth. I followed my dad with his vest chasing quail through the sand dunes and mesquite clumps. Dad used a 20 GA pump and I packed the shells water and quail he shot so a vest came natural to me. I do only pack what I need now (due to the weight) but I like having the vest and seat for the wet weather we have up here.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Well its a great feeling shoving a gobbler into the back of a vest and walking out. :D :mrgreen: :thumbup:
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Gobbler wrote:Well its a great feeling shoving a gobbler into the back of a vest and walking out. :D :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Oh yeah it is!!!! :struttin: :struttin:
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Didn't get a vest till I was old enough to have made money to buy my own. It was a treebark vest with thin shoulder straps and the stiches popped and needed repair if you carried a heavy tom out in it. Never hunted without a vest since unless it was raining. On rainy days I just put a trumpet around my neck and a mouth call in my jaw. Sure you don't need all the trappings but you don't really need more than one shell either......
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I've been hunting without a vest for a while. I make good use of beltloops and d-rings. My facemask is in my hat, I don't wear gloves, and I don't take many calls.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I basically dumped the mentioned belt this year.. I wear the Ol Tom Dura lite camo and the pocket design truly warrants vestless hunting..
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

On my hunting trip in the mountains, I ditched my vest. It was nice going lightweight, not so nice sitting on rocks and slopes without a cushion. It did make me reconsider the vest when I hunt here in Louisiana (ground is a little softer than the Rockies).
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

I started off with no vest...I think this was the first year I actually brought my vest everyday...as long as I'm out there it doesn't matter if I have it or not, all I need is my facemask or a burnt tree , shells and a gun...I still don't wear gloves, unless I'm out west ( it's cold lol)...hell, I'd wear blue jeans if had to...
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

No vest here, needless weight on the dragstrip.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

In 36 seasons, I've never owned a vest; I carry wingbone on a lanyard which has a soft pouch which holds several diaphragms, a slate and striker in a shirtpocket, 3 20 gauge shells in gun, gloves in pocket and facemask which drops down from ballcap. Small foam pad clipped to belt with carabiner. Thermocell when needed in cargo pocket of pants. Compass on wrist. Decoys? Not for me.
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

I went to a fanny pack this year with a gobbler lounger. I hunt pretty slow, so I dont feel like a vest does anything for me at home, but add an extra layer of clothes and it's pretty warm down here. I carry dekes in a decoy bag with a shoulder strap when I use them, but they spend most of the season in the jeep. If I were to go with somebody else, I bring both and see what the want to do. I found I kill way more birds staying put instead of walking all over.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Let's see...I carry gun, decoys, calls (mouth, pot, box), tripod, camera, portable blind, extra cushion seat and a vest...oh and there's a beautiful 11 year old little girl following my every step. As long as she's with me, I'd carry a house if I had to. When it's just me..it's just the vest and gun.
DMP

Post by DMP »

Im a self taught turkey hunter so at first I got caught up in the outdoor channel way of hunting and all the new gadgets that I thought I needed. After the first few years of trial and error I figured out real quick that you don't need half the junk that tv and other outlets try to make you think you need. I do still hunt with a vest but when it gets hot the vest is the first thing to go.
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

No vest here.

Gun, shells, mask, gloves, mouth calls, and two pots that I carry in a pouch on the belt.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”