Turkey Contest- TURNED INTO SMACK THREAD!!

All about the 2013 Gobbler Nation turkey hunting contest.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Turkey Contest- TURNED INTO SMACK THREAD!!

Post by Gobbler »

Scoring the Birds. 2013 contest.

How do you want to score the gobblers this year. Looking for feedback. There won't be any money or prizes this year.
The Contest will be for bragging rights and to get your team name and user name on the Gobbler's Cup.

same as last year? Just beard and spurs no weight? I want it to be fun with less pressure. I would hope no one would cheat its not going to be on ESPN. I think we at least need pictures of bird and killer and the measurements.

Multi beards will count. That is always a 95% yes to keep them in. :thumbup:
ole5beards

Re: Turkey Contest

Post by ole5beards »

I say keep the weight a part of the score.
Pass the biscuits!!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Why not use NWTF scoring? With the calculators out there, such as on the NWTF website, it is easy to do. I am good no matter what is decided. I was not in the contest last year but want to be this year as I always enjoy getting to know the team members and rooting for one another.

Agree with pictures being taken of measurements and hunter.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I am fine with whatever system is used. Any scoring system that is based on measurements taken on the birds will be skewed in favor of those that hunt in places where the birds generally score higher than other places, or in favor of those that have higher bag limits or get to hunt more than others. The only way to offset that is to draw the teams randomly each year so that the outcome is pretty much based on the luck of the draw, ....or predetermine teams based on a sorting process that balances the teams.

Regardless, the whole thing is just for fun anyway, so it really doesn't matter one way or the other. We should make it as simple, ...and fair, ....as possible.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Random draw for teams. NWTF scoring system.Cheating shouldn't be an issue. I believe we have a great deal of integrity here.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

redarrow wrote:Random draw for teams. NWTF scoring system.Cheating shouldn't be an issue. I believe we have a great deal of integrity here.
Yep.
ImageImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I got no problems with this. But I will ask one favor. The winning team has the option of staying together.

Last year we took Jay's Idea and had everyone sign up and tell us their kill number for the last three years.
I took the highest number killers and put one on each team. I took the second highest and put one on each team.
The next highest and put one on each team. Until each team had basically a fair team. Each team had a couple of guys with only 1 or zero kills. I think it works out great because of the contest rules. Which will be posted very soon.
GSLAM95
Location: Southern Illinois - NOTE: Chicago is not part of IL by our choice!

Post by GSLAM95 »

redarrow wrote:Random draw for teams. NWTF scoring system.Cheating shouldn't be an issue. I believe we have a great deal of integrity here.
I agree as well....
Also new teams each year make for an interesting way to meet guys across the country.
When in doubt,show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Gobbler wrote:I got no problems with this. But I will ask one favor. The winning team has the option of staying together.

Last year we took Jay's Idea and had everyone sign up and tell us their kill number for the last three years.
I took the highest number killers and put one on each team. I took the second highest and put one on each team.
The next highest and put one on each team. Until each team had basically a fair team. Each team had a couple of guys with only 1 or zero kills. I think it works out great because of the contest rules. Which will be posted very soon.
Random draw does not dictate fair teams. You have some very big guns on this site, and dividing them up is the fairest option. I can do this if I get enough time to set it up.
ImageImageImage
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Gobbler wrote:I got no problems with this. But I will ask one favor. The winning team has the option of staying together.

I am ok with the winning team staying together if they like, seem like a fair prize.

Alright with how things were done last year as well, seems more than fair. :thumbup:
bighog11

Post by bighog11 »

I loved the way it was done last year even this I got hurt and couldn't really participate I was able to follow it fairly close and every thing seamed to have went smooth. Dose the team staying together rule mean I will be on the same team as last yr
GOT SOME BIG GOBBLERS ON MY MIND
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Listen, I will make it easy. Me, GSLAM 95, savduck, Guesswho, MKW, and TRKYHTR did not kill any birds the last three years but would take one for the team and team up hoping to score this Spring???
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Most definitely!

The way it was done last year, dividing teams up by how many birds a guy typically kills in a season was a good way to go.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I am good with this.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

The way we did it last year where a team could score two birds per team member, and if someone fell short of their two birds, someone else could enter additional birds -- that was good also.

I particularly liked the leniency towards pictures.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Turkey Contest

Post by drenalinld »

I am in favor of the leniency on pics. The format for choosing teams was great.
savduck

Post by savduck »

drenalinld wrote:Listen, I will make it easy. Me, GSLAM 95, savduck, Guesswho, MKW, and TRKYHTR did not kill any birds the last three years but would take one for the team and team up hoping to score this Spring???

Yep pretty much as Dave says.
:thumbup:

I'm down with whatever is decided.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

count me in and I could care less how we score them. To me the NWTF scoring is pretty easy with android/iphone scoring apps. I spend 70% of my time behind the camera with my daughter on trigger, but I'm good for probably 1 or 2 kills. To be honest, my daughter would probably be the better teammate. She holds the record for the biggest turkey in our house and has only been hunting for 2 years.

Tim
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Would anyone be interested in counting kills by youth you are guiding?
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

drenalinld wrote:Would anyone be interested in counting kills by youth you are guiding?
Or..make a "youth team". I know in my house Leah gets first kill, so we hunt pretty hard for her until she kills one. Then I get to pull the trigger.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

whatever works. Doesnt bother me how the scoring is done!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

savduck wrote:
drenalinld wrote:Listen, I will make it easy. Me, GSLAM 95, savduck, Guesswho, MKW, and TRKYHTR did not kill any birds the last three years but would take one for the team and team up hoping to score this Spring???

Yep pretty much as Dave says.
:thumbup:

I'm down with whatever is decided.
That whole group couldn't find their way out of a Park. No wonder they haven't shot anything in 3 years. They keep getting lost.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

drenalinld wrote:Would anyone be interested in counting kills by youth you are guiding?
Only if you also include the elderly, also....like me,
ImageImageImage
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

I don't care how y'all do it...... I know I'll get the lower weight but I still get ya on beard and spurs :) And I want to be on Doug's team :)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Jaybird wrote:That whole group couldn't find their way out of a Park. No wonder they haven't shot anything in 3 years. They keep getting lost.
It's not nice to make fun of others who struggle during hunting season.

As far as the contest goes, last years format seemed to work for y'all.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff

Return to “2013 Gobbler Nation Turkey Hunting Contest”