Most unique gobbler spinoff

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SwampDrummin

Most unique gobbler spinoff

Post by SwampDrummin »

I stole these pics from Facebook back in March, supposedly a wild Tennessee bird. Just gorgeous. I keep thinking about him every time I see decoykrvr’s post. I hope he never gets shot!
Attachments
89AE72BA-8CC8-4FD6-AA6E-B842FBEC81E2.jpeg
6D08B2A2-42AF-44A8-B7D1-9562FA405472.jpeg
007767FD-4F5C-4967-8FF9-D1718C461F2A.jpeg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Most unique gobbler spinoff

Post by Hoobilly »

thats a beautiful gobbler. I hope he grows big spurs and lets me shoot him when he is old and done laying with hens lol
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

That's cool. Do you know what state and species he is?
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Looks evil. Probably full of all kinds of hoodoo voodoo. I'd wear a necklace full of garlic and chicken bones if I was hunting him. Wouldn't make eye contact with him either.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

jsh909 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:54 pm That's cool. Do you know what state and species he is?
jsh909 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:54 pm That's cool. Do you know what state and species he is?

Tennessee, so eastern. Definitely looks like a wild eastern in form and the way he carries himself.
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

Buddy of mine killed one just like that one.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Thats every bit a wild bird. It's definitely not a tame bird. My tame jakes outweighed that bird significantly, had wattles as big or bigger than most adult wild birds, and had short fat legs and huge feet. Tame birds may be colored like a wild bird or the reverse, but a wild bird looks different in body posture, head and body size, and leg length. Not to mention that very few, if any, tame birds look as clean and sharp as a wild bird
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

My cousin killed one like that several years ago in Va. I told him it looked like it was crossed with an owl!

God Bless, Louis
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

When I killed the totally black gobbler (melanistic) , I didn't realize that he was black until I sat down by the bird and was able to really look him over. I had been working the gobbler, and maybe a second bird, for over 2 1/2 hours all over a hardwood ridge. I had worked the gobbling bird to within 60 yards two or three times, but couldn't get him within range, and keep resisting the urge to move on him, cause I didn't want to risk bumping him. I finally decided that when he moved off down the ridge to a saddle and gobbled like he had already done a couple of times, I would move to the area below me where he had gobbled and strutted. I took off down the ridge, tucked into a root ball, and called. I had a hen and jake come up from the saddle and get below me to within 15 feet and could see the gobbler down the ridge. I kept thinking that the bird had the whitest head I had ever seen on a gobbler as he strutted below me, and after a couple minutes was finally able to slowly move my gun and take the shot. I was totally frazzled as I got up, went down the ridge , and literally plopped down beside the gobbler. It took me several minutes to fully take in the strange coloration, and I didn't fully realize what I had until a subsequent conversation w/ Lovett Williams, Jr. . I just knew that I had never seen a gobbler like that black bird. There was another really dark bird in the area which I saw once, but never worked nor heard of him being killed. I hunted a solid white (albinistic) 2 yr old gobbler which I had first seen as a jake for a season and had him within 60 yards and ran into him in the wood at 20 yards, he bolted before I could even react, until he was poached off of the private property which I was hunting. That red coloration gobbler (erythristic) is really beautiful and I would think that like a "smoke gray" would really stand out in the field. Sometimes, I guess, turkey hunting can even be like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

SwampDrummin wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Tennessee, so eastern. Definitely looks like a wild eastern in form and the way he carries himself.
I was thinking Eastern based on posture but wasn't positive. Regardless that is one amazing specimen.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”