Recoil chart

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Recoil chart

Post by howl »

Nifty shotgun recoil chart I taxed from fb.
FB_IMG_1565740440428.jpg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Recoil chart

Post by Hoobilly »

Right on

I like a happy medium on weight vs recoil
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Looks like I need a 12+pound gun too hunt with so I can have acceptable recoil.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I'm stickin' with my SP 10 fer' goosin' and got a steady grip stock commin' fer' my Benelli so I can "Hod' On" " fer' turkey huntin' :thumbup: :LMAO: :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Any published charts which also show the recoil in ft/lbs of energy as a component of shot charge weight, velocity, and shotgun weight?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

decoykrvr wrote: August 14th, 2019, 9:27 am Any published charts which also show the recoil in ft/lbs of energy as a component of shot charge weight, velocity, and shotgun weight?
Sounds like you just volunteered to make one! http://www.omahamarian.org/trap/shotshellenergy.html
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Aren't most Turkey loads about 60-80 ft/lb
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

swampchicken wrote: August 14th, 2019, 7:53 pm Aren't most Turkey loads about 60-80 ft/lb
I was gonna answer that but I've shot a turkey gun too many times to be able to remember anything. Where am I?
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Thanks Howl! What a neat tool. I was shooting ducks years ago standing on a hard pan lake bottom pass shooting mallards flying directly overhead w/ a Stevens 10 gauge w/ a 36" barrel and a 2 1/4 oz reload of nickle plated 2's souped up to @ 1,300 fps. I killed a greenhead w/ my first shot then shot 5 more times directly overhead, punishing myself w/ recoil. As I walked back to the shore, I started having blurred vision, loss of balance, and felt sick to my stomach. I went down on both knees and started to throw up as a killer headache hit me. I felt like a dog for several days and was making a sales call on a Cardiologists who is also a hunter and told him what had happened to me. He blasted me and said "You idiot, you've suffered a concussion and are lucky that you didn't detach a retina since your body absorbed all the recoil," The doctor had recently returned from Africa and further stated that my 10 gauge and reloads was generating recoil similar to his .458 Winchester Magnum, a little less than 70 ft/lbs of recoil. We learn by doing.
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

Yea....I'm thinkin most 2 oz. turkey loads are up there with the big game cartridges far as recoil energy goes. The 3.5" load has about the same recoil energy as a .458 Win.Mag.. I shoot a Remington 700 BDL S/S synthetic in 7mm Rem.Mag and it puts out approximately 24 ft/lbs of recoil energy, I can GUARANTEE my 3" turkey loads recoil significantly more than it does.
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER

Return to “Gun Talk”