Time for a new truck

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
firedup

Time for a new truck

Post by firedup »

Since the wife and I retired we have been talking about finding a travel trailer and seeing the country. I have been looking for a lightly used Ford f150 XLT with their max tow package and 3.5 ecoboost v6. Not finding to many around where I live or even on line. Ran across a pretty good deal on a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman that is really set up nicely to tow. It pretty much has it all for towing and XLT like comforts to be make it nice. But apparently the Outdoorsman package is a Canadian thing? Cant order it here in 48 or even find it on KBB, ect when building a truck. Thought I would throw it out here and see if the GN gang has any input about towing with the 3.5 ecoboost or the Ram 1500 / Outdoorsman / towing. Basically, I realize the limitations of towing with a 1/2 ton no matter what the truck advertisements say. So my idea is buy the truck and then find a camper to suit. Not the other way around.

All comments and input appreciated!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Time for a new truck

Post by MKW »

Tundra.
Ultimate Predator
HoltBensley

Post by HoltBensley »

Don’t look past the Toyota’s! I can’t wait to pay off my f250 and get a new Tacoma or tundra haven’t decided yet. But they’re just as good if not better than a GM, dodge or ford
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Don’t do it! I bought a 2015 Ram 1500 outdoorsman. The AC went out after 45 k miles and between 45k and 105 k miles the following went wrong:

1.) brights wouldn’t turn on
2.) back drivers power window won’t go down
3.) rear power window won’t go down
4.) bed light went out
5.) passenger side Rambo’s has periods where it won’t open
6.) airbag lights came on
7.) seatbelt jammed and wouldn’t work
8.) check engine light for some sort of fuel issue
9.) at least 2 recalls none of which addressed a known issue with a faulty circuit board related to several of the above
10.) something else but I forget

Next truck I get will be a tundra. I love the “ram box” on each side of the vehicle but I drove my past Tacoma for 80k miles without an issue. I just don’t see this truck treating me well in the future.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Counterpoint: 75 lbs of redfish.
Attachments
52E8311E-A7A2-433B-9177-09B0A883BCC7.jpeg
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

well my 2014 F150 XLT is over 190k miles and no issues,,,,

one off experiences don't make a product line "bad",,

I like my ford,,,,never could get a good feel for the tundras,,,,nice trucks that some like, but not for me

I have had F150s since 1995 (when I quit driving old CJs),,,

1995 - drove it for 296k miles
2005 - drove it for 160k when it got totaled
2009 - drove it for 396k
2014 (current one) bought in 2016 with 17k on it- currently at 190+ and still ticking
crow

Post by crow »

I would get aTundra,

I've had Toyota 4x4 pickups constant since 1984, sometimes 2 at the same time, one for work and one for hunting. have had hardly any problems over the years.

I've driven this Tundra since 2011 and have had no problems with it, been a great truck
Fieldturkey

Post by Fieldturkey »

My 2010 tundra just hit 320,000. Zero issues. Never been in the shop
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I know you didn't ask about Tundra's, but I'd give them a look. I'm at 195,000 on mine now and haven't done anything but the regular recommended maintenance. I've had several Yota's in my life and had zero issues.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I’ve got a 2011 tundra limited edition and have 84,000 miles on it now. No problems
But before that one I had a 2008 tundra that had several problems. Door locks actuators went out twice, air conditioner went out, both air pumps went out, and water pump started leaking. Traded it for the one I got now.
I’m not a ford man. But if I bought one it be a f-250 or 350 or the raptor.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
firedup

Post by firedup »

LOL! A Tundra thread! What....no Chevy's? LOL! Woodmoose...you drive WAY TOO MUCH!

Just to set the record straight...I have 2 Toyota's already but Tacoma size. My hunting rigs / ridge runners. Great trucks. But I have also been driving full size fords for 20+ years and they have been great. My wife (since we will be traveling together) prefers the ride and comforts of the Ford and with the new 3.5 ecoboost and the right set up it tops the charts for towing. Tundra is a tuff truck but it does lag behind, from my research, in the towing dept and that is a focus point. Having said that I haven't ruled them out. I have been ford shopping and ran across a pretty good deal on the Ram and it is set up to tow like a beast.

Thanks for the comments on the Outdoorsman, apparently it is not an order option in the 48 now and this is a Canadian truck.

And again, shopping for a solid lightly used truck. If you want to pay the $ you can order anything you want.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I drive a 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma every day for work and have for over 340K miles. It still gets 30 MPG too. I also own a 2007 F250 that pulls a living quarters horse trailer a lot. It's pretty thirsty, but pulls great. My wife events her thoroughbred in N.C., S.C., Ga., Md and it also hauls a lot of horse tack, plus a dirt bike. As long as I keep the oil changed and the tires rotated, they're hard to beat.

Jim
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Ford or Toyota, that is it. There are fewer decent travel trailers than trucks. 1/2 ton you're looking at small light stuff like Casita.
crow

Post by crow »

Cut N Run wrote: August 12th, 2019, 10:12 pm I drive a 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma every day for work and have for over 340K miles. It still gets 30 MPG too. I also own a 2007 F250 that pulls a living quarters horse trailer a lot. It's pretty thirsty, but pulls great. My wife events her thoroughbred in N.C., S.C., Ga., Md and it also hauls a lot of horse tack, plus a dirt bike. As long as I keep the oil changed and the tires rotated, they're hard to beat.

Jim

When you change the oil on your horse do you keep track of how many quarts it takes

I helped a vet give a colicky horse the mineral oil treatment once, took more oil than a Tundra and when it came out the other end it wasn't anything you wanted to try and recycle.
va longbeard

Post by va longbeard »

I have 2014 Tundra that by far has been the best truck I have ever had.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I’ve got a 2018 GMC Sierra with the 6.2L engine. Great mileage, 450 HP, 8 speed tranny and drives like a million bucks! Pulls my 19’ Ranger boat like a breeze. I love this thing!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

Went from a Silverado to a Tacoma and I love it. If your not pulling anything heavy it’s the best option in my opinion. I pull boats a smalls trailers with my with no problem they’re stronger than you think
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

crow wrote: August 12th, 2019, 11:42 pm
Cut N Run wrote: August 12th, 2019, 10:12 pm I drive a 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma every day for work and have for over 340K miles. It still gets 30 MPG too. I also own a 2007 F250 that pulls a living quarters horse trailer a lot. It's pretty thirsty, but pulls great. My wife events her thoroughbred in N.C., S.C., Ga., Md and it also hauls a lot of horse tack, plus a dirt bike. As long as I keep the oil changed and the tires rotated, they're hard to beat.

Jim

When you change the oil on your horse do you keep track of how many quarts it takes

I helped a vet give a colicky horse the mineral oil treatment once, took more oil than a Tundra and when it came out the other end it wasn't anything you wanted to try and recycle.

The Vet does the horse maintenance, wife rides and competes the horse, while I shoot video, serve as horse kickstand, and take the horse the find quality grass at shows. I don't ride horses, it would interfere (even more than it already does) with my hunting & fishing. The women at the barn used to ask when I was going to get a horse? I told them " I already have 135 horses, they're all on the back of my bass boat, and I only have to feed them when I want to go somewhere."

Jim
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

WoodMoose wrote: August 12th, 2019, 6:45 am well my 2014 F150 XLT is over 190k miles and no issues,,,,

I like my ford,,,,never could get a good feel for the tundras,,,,nice trucks that some like, but not for me

2009 - drove it for 396k
2014 (current one) bought in 2016 with 17k on it- currently at 190+ and still ticking
Yup, if they weren't such a good truck ya probably wouldn't have bought so many,,,,,,, :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

Grumpy wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:33 pm
WoodMoose wrote: August 12th, 2019, 6:45 am well my 2014 F150 XLT is over 190k miles and no issues,,,,

2009 - drove it for 396k
Yup, if they weren't such a good truck ya probably wouldn't have bought so many,,,,,,, :LMAO:
I know,,,,if they'd only last for a million miles they might be better,,,,but since any truck that can consistently get to 300k+ is a good one I'm happy,,,
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Not a truck,but my used 2009 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo bought in 2012,will last me till I check out,then the grandson gets it.does anything its asked.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

firedup wrote: August 11th, 2019, 9:42 pm Since the wife and I retired we have been talking about finding a travel trailer and seeing the country. I have been looking for a lightly used Ford f150 XLT with their max tow package and 3.5 ecoboost v6. Not finding to many around where I live or even on line. Ran across a pretty good deal on a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman that is really set up nicely to tow. It pretty much has it all for towing and XLT like comforts to be make it nice. But apparently the Outdoorsman package is a Canadian thing? Cant order it here in 48 or even find it on KBB, ect when building a truck. Thought I would throw it out here and see if the GN gang has any input about towing with the 3.5 ecoboost or the Ram 1500 / Outdoorsman / towing. Basically, I realize the limitations of towing with a 1/2 ton no matter what the truck advertisements say. So my idea is buy the truck and then find a camper to suit. Not the other way around.

I'm a Ford fella and like to stay US built .. so end to that.
I've said it before but here goes again, the F-150's got bigger and I didn't, so I now have a new Ford Ranger 4x4 off road.
One of my small v-8 4x4 F-150's like WoodMoose may concur, I towed a 3 wheeled enclosed trailer and made 3 trips to move my buddy. Didn't put it in OD at all and ran as fast as we felt safe. Had more than enough total miles on it so after that I had tranny oil changed and it sure had a smell of have being a mildly burned.

My main question is if you think the v-6 eco boost be enough to handle the travel trailer you plan to haul in all of your planned travel terrain?? Or get an F-250 to be sure??
Good luck and safe travels whatever you decide to choose :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

MKW wrote: August 11th, 2019, 9:53 pmTundra.
yep,have had one for 4 years and zero problems,in fact went and looked at 2 more the
other night,used trucks are out rageous!!!!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: August 14th, 2019, 3:41 pm
firedup wrote: August 11th, 2019, 9:42 pm Since the wife and I retired we have been talking about finding a travel trailer and seeing the country. I have been looking for a lightly used Ford f150 XLT with their max tow package and 3.5 ecoboost v6. Not finding to many around where I live or even on line. Ran across a pretty good deal on a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman that is really set up nicely to tow. It pretty much has it all for towing and XLT like comforts to be make it nice. But apparently the Outdoorsman package is a Canadian thing? Cant order it here in 48 or even find it on KBB, ect when building a truck. Thought I would throw it out here and see if the GN gang has any input about towing with the 3.5 ecoboost or the Ram 1500 / Outdoorsman / towing. Basically, I realize the limitations of towing with a 1/2 ton no matter what the truck advertisements say. So my idea is buy the truck and then find a camper to suit. Not the other way around.

I've said it before but here goes again, the F-150's got bigger and I didn't, so I now have a new Ford Ranger 4x4 off road.
One of my small v-8 4x4 F-150's like WoodMoose may concur, I towed a 3 wheeled enclosed trailer and made 3 trips to move my buddy. Didn't put it in OD at all and ran as fast as we felt safe. Had more than enough total miles on it so after that I had tranny oil changed and it sure had a smell of have being a mildly burned.

My main question is if you think the v-6 eco boost be enough to handle the travel trailer you plan to haul in all of your planned travel terrain?? Or get an F-250 to be sure??
I thought the Tundra's and Tacoma's were US built?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

hoobilly wrote: August 14th, 2019, 8:05 pm
soiltester wrote: August 14th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I thought the Tundra's and Tacoma's were US built?
Checked, and made in Texas and Tiauana(SP),and they're too pricy for me and dealership isn't close :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gobbler Talk”