Long range shooting..

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Long range shooting..

Post by Hoobilly »

Shot 700 yards the other night with my sons Remington 700 6.5 creedmore. (Gaymore as I jokingly refer it)

Gun shoots good. 550 yards was my previous long range shooting and did that with a 222 700 5 years ago while hunting in Ky

What’s the furthest you have shot and with what rifle etc?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Long range shooting..

Post by spider316 »

900 yds with a Rem 700 action, 168 grn BTHP, some fancy scope and stock. There's a Spec Ops Sniper guy that shoots at a farm I hunt in N.Y. he was home from a deployment. It was amazing at the time difference between the shot and the gong hit sound. He was a real deal Soldier, my son was 9 years old at the time and he spent a lot of time with him shooting and just having fun with him. :old_glory:
Took me 2 shots to hit the gong, I was so nervous with him watching and using his gun !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

spider316 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 4:09 pm 900 yds with a Rem 700 action, 168 grn BTHP, some fancy scope and stock. There's a Spec Ops Sniper guy that shoots at a farm I hunt in N.Y. he was home from a deployment. It was amazing at the time difference between the shot and the gong hit sound. He was a real deal Soldier, my son was 10 years old at the time and he spent a lot of time with him shooting and just having fun with him. :old_glory:
Took me 2 shots to hit the gong, I was so nervous with him watching and using his gun !
Most awesome

It took me 2 shots. My son asked me if I wanted to shoot it more I said nope. Don’t want to miss and feel. As. I did shoot the 300 winmag encore of his buddies. I missed all 3 shots. Didn’t like the Athlon scope. I tried adjusting it for my eye but didn’t really help

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

hoobilly wrote: August 10th, 2019, 4:20 pm
spider316 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 4:09 pm 900 yds with a Rem 700 action, 168 grn BTHP, some fancy scope and stock. There's a Spec Ops Sniper guy that shoots at a farm I hunt in N.Y. he was home from a deployment. It was amazing at the time difference between the shot and the gong hit sound. He was a real deal Soldier, my son was 10 years old at the time and he spent a lot of time with him shooting and just having fun with him. :old_glory:
Most awesome

It took me 2 shots. My son asked me if I wanted to shoot it more I said nope. Don’t want to miss and feel. As. I did shoot the 300 winmag encore of his buddies. I missed all 3 shots. Didn’t like the Athlon scope. I tried adjusting it for my eye but didn’t really help
Holy funny, me too ! I was like, why try again, proved it . I can't imagine a .300 win mag on a Encore platform :banghead:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I haven't done any long range shooting at all, unless you count shooting at the moon. I have a buddy in KY that does some. Goes to some long range shoots, usually does pretty well when he goes.. I think he said they shoot out to 1200 yards at some shoots. He goes to a place called Rayners in Ohio I think, and they have a 1000 yard range. I was surprised at the money he has tied up in his long range set-ups. If I remember right the scopes are between 3-4K. He Killed a crow shooting off the hood of his truck at almost 600 yards, but I had the privilege of seeing him miss a gobbler in Georgia at 30 :lol: But I returned the favor and missed one on purpose in front of him in KY at the same distance, at least that's the way I remember it going down.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote: August 10th, 2019, 5:42 pm I haven't done any long range shooting at all, unless you count shooting at the moon. I have a buddy in KY that does some. Goes to some long range shoots, usually does pretty well when he goes.. I think he said they shoot out to 1200 yards at some shoots. He goes to a place called Rayners in Ohio I think, and they have a 1000 yard range. I was surprised at the money he has tied up in his long range set-ups. If I remember right the scopes are between 3-4K. He Killed a crow shooting off the hood of his truck at almost 600 yards, but I had the privilege of seeing him miss a gobbler in Georgia at 30 :lol: But I returned the favor and missed one on purpose in front of him in KY at the same distance, at least that's the way I remember it going down.
:LMAO:

my cousin went to Alabama to turkey hunt with a friend of ours down there. Feller had been in the Army and done some shooting
had a Ruger 22-250 and took my cousin out shooting. Pulled up to his personal range and said see that stop sign out there at 800 yards? I am gonna shoot a few then we can go check it out. My cousin came home and said that boy hit the sign 7 times out of 10 at 800 yards.

I asked my cousin if he seen the bullet holes in the sign before that feller shot it.. :D

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Sounds like great fun. Never had the opportunity to shoot long range. That is some really good shooting, Gentlemen!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hognutz wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:20 pm Sounds like great fun. Never had the opportunity to shoot long range. That is some really good shooting, Gentlemen!
I might add..

I am right handed and right eye dominant. My right eye still isn't up to par since I had a vessel burst inside and it's till clearing up.

I shot left handed and hit the gong at 700

I feel pretty good about that

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

hoobilly wrote: August 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm Shot 700 yards the other night with my sons Remington 700 6.5 creedmore. (Gaymore as I jokingly refer it)
OK....OK....First of all LoserBilly......it's CreedMOOR, not MORE...............this is first and foremost why you won't be invited into the CREEDMOOR NATION................total lack of respect!!!!!!!!!!

You may be a Big Deal in this Nation..............but not the CREEDMOOR NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CamoMan4025 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:34 pm
hoobilly wrote: August 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm Shot 700 yards the other night with my sons Remington 700 6.5 creedmore. (Gaymore as I jokingly refer it)
OK....OK....First of all LoserBilly......it's CreedMOOR, not MORE...............this is first and foremost why you won't be invited into the CREEDMOOR NATION................total lack of respect!!!!!!!!!!

You may be a Big Deal in this Nation..............but not the CREEDMOOR NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:
I know it’s GayMoor.. I just call it GayMore so you girlie men get triggered

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I may have to bust a cap up in your azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Wait...........that didn't sound gay did it............?????
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CamoMan4025 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:44 pm Wait...........that didn't sound gay did it............?????
Ehhh just a little :LMAO:

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

CamoMan4025 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:43 pm I may have to bust a cap up in your azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Wow, I feel like I'm at work ! :slap: :stir:

The question is, which one of you would win the Men's room sword fighting championship ?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

spider316 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 9:34 am
CamoMan4025 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:43 pm I may have to bust a cap up in your azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The question is, which one of you would win the Men's room sword fighting championship ?
I only fight with girls..

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

hoobilly wrote: August 11th, 2019, 1:45 pm
spider316 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 9:34 am

I only fight with girls..
Got it, explains why you weren't at Cooterfest 2019 ! :rebel:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

You girls are out of control..........sword fighting..........gross................Cooter Fest 2019 is in the books! They chased em', crashed em' and rolled them over..........CRAZY COOTER COMIN' AT YA................COME ON...........
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CamoMan4025 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 7:49 pm You girls are out of control..........sword fighting..........gross................Cooter Fest 2019 is in the books! They chased em', crashed em' and rolled them over..........CRAZY COOTER COMIN' AT YA................COME ON...........
:LMAO: Let’s see them cooter pictures!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Shot some more this afternoon. Sloppy Snood had told me about a deal on the Browning Xbolt 26 Nosler for a steal.

Son bought one as we were familiar with how the 26N shoots from a buddy in Ky.

Son sighted in at 100 and about 1.5” high and proceeded to wear the 330 yard gong out repeatedly
Attachments
FFAC0BC3-C8EE-40A3-A6C8-3C71C68B4267.jpeg

okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

spider316 wrote:
hoobilly wrote: August 10th, 2019, 4:20 pm
Most awesome

Holy funny, me too ! I was like, why try again, proved it . I can't imagine a .300 win mag on a Encore platform :banghead:
It's not fun to say the least. Dad used to hunt with one back in the day. I stuck to my 260 rem in a ruger m77 stainless.

I pushed dads DPMS AR-10 in 260 out to 700 a few times just for fun. Haven't really shot it since dropping in the match grade trigger. Been meaning to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

hoobilly wrote:Shot some more this afternoon. Sloppy Snood had told me about a deal on the Browning Xbolt 26 Nosler for a steal.

Son bought one as we were familiar with how the 26N shoots from a buddy in Ky.

Son sighted in at 100 and about 1.5” high and proceeded to wear the 330 yard gong out repeatedly
How do you like that 26 nosler? Dad has a 22 nosler upper for his AR and its lights out on coyotes out to 400. Loaded some 62 grain soft points and have been waiting on a pig to step out at the wrong moment.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hey Okie
I’m pretty Sure that Shooter has a 260!Remington model 7 that’s a one holer at a 100 yards

okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

hoobilly wrote:Hey Okie
I’m pretty Sure that Shooter has a 260!Remington model 7 that’s a one holer at a 100 yards
I'm sure dads AR in 260 has the potential to be a 1 hole gun, just need to play with it a bit.

My M77, while only being a standard barell and not a bull, is a tack driver at 200. 5 shot groups inside a nickel. Never did like anything but nosler partitions (120 grain I believe?) One of the best deer cartridges ever IMO.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

okiefowler wrote: August 16th, 2019, 4:18 pm
hoobilly wrote:Hey Okie
I'm sure dads AR in 260 has the potential to be a 1 hole gun, just need to play with it a bit.

My M77, while only being a standard barell and not a bull, is a tack driver at 200. 5 shot groups inside a nickel. Never did like anything but nosler partitions (120 grain I believe?) One of the best deer cartridges ever IMO.

I’ve owned a few bull barrels in different calibers. Too much weight for me as I like to hunt and stalk.
I have shot one hole 4 leaf clovers with my 700 308 pencil barrel and a triangle one hole with my steyr 243.

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

125 Yards. I never get shoots to much over that where I hunt.
Mike

Return to “Gun Talk”