Help A brother Out.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Help A brother Out.

Post by redarrow »

Ok guys I am at my wits end here. My Mom,97 years old is constantly asking me where she can get a salt cured country smoked ham. We used to get them in Tennessee whenever we went down home to visit family. The last one I bought was during a hunting trip to Kentucky. It was at the Piggly Wiggly. Any suggestions on where I can pick one up in Michigan or perhaps order one on line. Thanks.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Help A brother Out.

Post by soiltester »

https://eatgiftlove.com/gourmet-country-hams/

Red .. this look o.k.??
It is a tad bit pricey in my book though!!
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Rice's Country Ham
Mount Juliet TN
615 758 2362

https://www.ricescountryhams.com/
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I used to like Harper's Country Hams out if Clinton, KY. Their place burned a few years ago, but I think they are still going. They were definitely salt cured.

There was another local one that I preferred because it wasn't as salty, but I don't recall the name.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I eat as little salt as possible and never add salt to anything I am eating, it is "white death"
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: August 9th, 2019, 2:21 pm I eat as little salt as possible and never add salt to anything I am eating, it is "white death"
same here!

I love a cured ham, but after eating a small bit of it I get sick
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Smithfield hams out of Virginia are readily available finished cured online in whole or sliced portions. Pricey, however, at the top of the pricing range.
A few years ago on A Chef's Life with Vivian Howard in rural NC, the show featured traditional small farm hog raising, winter time slaughter and salt cured hams done the old fashioned way with no sodium nitrite, but plenty of salt and a lot of time. Interesting to watch.

Gil
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

Google Clifty Farms (TN) or Edwards Meats (VA)
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Thanks guys. They are pricey. Mom would usually boil some of the saltiness out. may just look for a cured country ham without all the salt
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The first man I worked for when I was starting out was a talented chef among his talents. He used to cook Sunnyland salt cured hams and they were remarkably tasty. In preparing the ham before cooking, he would scrub it it with a stiff brush and Tide detergent and then wash it thoroughly and soak it overnight in fresh water.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

With vacuum packing and the invention of refrigeration salt is no longer needed for a cure which was basically a preservative back in it's day, hell bacon in the late 1800 didn't even need to be kept cool and it wouldn't go bad for months. But I will take the better flavor now over that salty crap from these salt cured places and my blood pressure says thank you, after so many years of not using salt it is sure easy to take a bite of something and taste the overload of salt in it. Lunchmeats, sausage of all kinds, butter all have so much salt in them I can't eat them anymore and I used to eat plenty of those things. Refined white sugar is another thing the human body doesn't need aka white death again and I haven't put sugar on anything for years now, that most people do.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Grumpy wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:46 am With vacuum packing and the invention of refrigeration salt is no longer needed for a cure which was basically a preservative back in it's day, hell bacon in the late 1800 didn't even need to be kept cool and it wouldn't go bad for months. But I will take the better flavor now over that salty crap from these salt cured places and my blood pressure says thank you, after so many years of not using salt it is sure easy to take a bite of something and taste the overload of salt in it. Lunchmeats, sausage of all kinds, butter all have so much salt in them I can't eat them anymore and I used to eat plenty of those things. Refined white sugar is another thing the human body doesn't need aka white death again and I haven't put sugar on anything for years now, that most people do.
I'm the same way Grump :thumbup:
No more canned beans for me, with all the salt & sugar for preservatives!!! Just cook em' from scratch!! ;)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

redarrow wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:04 am Thanks guys. They are pricey. Mom would usually boil some of the saltiness out. may just look for a cured country ham without all the salt
I guess I didn't know any true country hams weren't salt cured?? :?
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

My Grandparents owned two restaurants in Virginia for 50+ years. They always used Turner's Hams from Fulks Run, VA. I grew up eating this stuff along with peanut soup and scrapple..........yep, that's a whole other subject! I would check out Turner's and Smithfield like recommended.

Good Luck

https://www.turnerhams.com/
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

look up my work place web site,LEONA MEAT PLANT ,we make a killer salt cured ham!we can ship.
sorry web site is down we have a facebook or just pm me.Im not an assbook person.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

devastator wrote: August 11th, 2019, 5:35 am look up my work place web site,LEONA MEAT PLANT ,we make a killer salt cured ham!we can ship.
sorry web site is down we have a facebook or just pm me.Im not an assbook person.
Thanks. Will check it out.
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

redarrow wrote: August 9th, 2019, 9:52 am Ok guys I am at my wits end here. My Mom,97 years old is constantly asking me where she can get a salt cured country smoked ham. We used to get them in Tennessee whenever we went down home to visit family. The last one I bought was during a hunting trip to Kentucky. It was at the Piggly Wiggly. Any suggestions on where I can pick one up in Michigan or perhaps order one on line. Thanks.
redarrow - my current plans are to drive from NC to the UP in early Oct - let me know if you haven't found some by then and I'll smuggle you some up from the Carolinas
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

WoodMoose wrote: August 12th, 2019, 6:48 am
redarrow wrote: August 9th, 2019, 9:52 am Ok guys I am at my wits end here. My Mom,97 years old is constantly asking me where she can get a salt cured country smoked ham. We used to get them in Tennessee whenever we went down home to visit family. The last one I bought was during a hunting trip to Kentucky. It was at the Piggly Wiggly. Any suggestions on where I can pick one up in Michigan or perhaps order one on line. Thanks.
redarrow - my current plans are to drive from NC to the UP in early Oct - let me know if you haven't found some by then and I'll smuggle you some up from the Carolinas
WOW! That is a very gracious offer. Thank you. If I don't get one before I will let you know.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

redarrow wrote: August 12th, 2019, 8:06 am
WoodMoose wrote: August 12th, 2019, 6:48 am
WOW! That is a very gracious offer. Thank you. If I don't get one before I will let you know.
Hey Red,
If you know what you want and it's close in my area near Spartanburg, I'll be headed up right after Labor Day goose hunting also :thumbup:
I take 75 to 23 up to 69 from Ohio into Lansing, then north, if that track works fer' ya' ;)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”